Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Recycled Community Project (RC available)

Sorry, I'm the totally slowpoke. Forgot about this:

Required:

Build time (roughly)

skill levels implemented (yes,no, if yes, which ones)

coop (yes or no)

DM (yes or no)

texture packs used (if any)

MIDI used (Title and author)

Well, my map info:

Build time: about 7 hours

Skill levels: yes, mostly used from the original version. Arch-viles spawns only on Ultra-Violence.

Coop: Yes

DM: Yes

Texture pack: cc4-tex (phew, I've mentioned it earlier)

Midi used: Doom E1M7, like the original map used.

I am still working on the map, I need to finish the general layout adjustments and then do some cleanup and detailing, but i figured while I do that i'd let

other's play test what i have currently and get any feedback that people may have. Any suggestions would be great!

Old map: X-treme doom 2 (system control) http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/doom-2-extreme 
Overhaul: Warehouse X
Build time: 2-3 months (1 month spent building)
skill levels implemented: all 5
coop: yes
DM yes, but not finished yet.
texture packs used: none
MIDI used: Unknown (from original WAD, no credits given)

Recycle Alpha.zip

It's nearing its ending, if that's what you mean. By the end of this month I will go ahead and compile what has been submitted thus far, and also add some titlescreen that matches the project. Maybe I'll give it a week or so for playtesting, but then it goes to the idgames archives.

yeah all good, wasn't sure since other than me there was no other posts for literally a month

holy BUTTONS i had no idea this had a frickin due date!! D:

i only (coincidentally) started my map yesterday ;~;

i think i can do it though!!!

it's gonna be pretty out there since it's my own map and it didn't actually have any consistent theme of any kind originally, so my new version is gonna have almost sorta kinda the same layout, but in a drastically different setting: a generic medieval castle!! essentially i'm just shooting to include and improve the important points from the original, though a lot of the rest is gonna get overhauled super duper hardsies

i will post screenshots and possibly a "demo" later tonight or tomorrow to show what the heck im talkin about

Well, it sucks to say, but I'm going to relinquish my second map for this project. I just don't time for proper mapping and I'm planning to take break until next year, because I experience creativity block and other personal reasons. I'm happy that contributed here. If you still have problems with first map, just tell me, because I often forget to fix thing.

Just in case it's been missed: At this point in time I have no issues delaying the release of this project by a few weeks or so, simply put: I'm not dead set on the deadline in any way shape or form, it's open for "debate". I think it might be a bit better to just discuss a later deadline, rather than just "wasting" whatever effort you put in your maps up to this point in time.

yes pls, as soon as i made my post i immediately went into a horrible nightmarish mapping limbo that i sometimes experience, in which i put hours and hours of work into a map, seemingly making lots of progress while i was doing said work, but when i look back at what i've done over the last week, it looks like i've been working on it for about ~15 minutes

halp

48 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Might I suggest February 1st 2018 as the deadline? Would that suffice?

for me indeed, but others might need even more time so maybe wait a little for them to say their words i dunno im tired and cant make sentences properly :c

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

for me indeed, but others might need even more time so maybe wait a little for them to say their words

Yeah, I think I'll wait a day or two before making a call in regards to this. All things considerd this was a project that was meant to run for half a year, so I like to think a delay of a month won't be much of a problem, at the same time some people have already delivered their maps and I'm sure they would like to see their maps released at the soonest debateble time. That said, I just hope people who are in need of some more time speak up soon, for the time being I think February first as a deadline is fair to go for, so you can still get your map in without too much hassle.

Probably too late for an update, but I thought I might share the level for a final time.

I removed the blue key maze and made a room from scratch, the blinking light maze is replaced with some smaller rooms that are easier to navigate and the Cacodemon arena has more accessibility (you can just enter the room now and have fun, instead of camping the doorway).

I am sure that there are still things that could be done better, but at least some tediousness has gone away.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pbhf6ovb20q5b2/AXIXWAD.rar?dl=0

P.S.: The blue key maze room is still inside the WAD, but it is not used at all. It is just there for comparison's sake.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

jumpin jehosaphat you nearly gave me a heart attack with your communist date format there ;~;

anyways i'm getting worried that i've strayed too far from the original, and will post an actual demo sometime tomorrow as i am currently wrapped up in my dwmp map :c

8 minutes ago, bonnie said:

jumpin jehosaphat you nearly gave me a heart attack with your communist date format there

I'm sorry, I really didn't want to cause you any distress... I'm looking forward to that demo of yours. Just keep in mind there really is no need to rush. :-)

Sheesh, forgot about this. Glad there is time, although there is literally nothing stopping me from adding some shit, wrapping it all up and shipping it. Memory's kinda fucked though. Either way, irrelevant part over: Will make it to deadline... If the deadline is 1st of February right? If not, well, then just give me a two-three hours to wrap it up :D

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm looking forward to that demo of yours.

I don't know if you have my original level on hand (here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gkz3p12pcpcxlqs/testytester.wad), but this gif I posted in the pictures thread actually shows the beginning of the new map: https://imgur.com/zqv7brx

It's really dark but it still somewhat shows what the opening area looks like up to the first closet in the original, if you want to get a preview of the level of change that will be taking place and stuff. yeah.

edit: pls note that i have a dehacked patch in that gif, with some hanging lamps and obviously the molotov

Just a heads up: On January 31st I'll take the maps listed in the OP and start giving each a final look before compiling them. If you feel like you want to give your map a little bit of polish before that time, this would be a good opportunity. Up until then I'll probably take a break from the forums of sorts.

I must have accidentally sent a problematic version of the WAD, without some of the changes I made, so I am posting it again, with the info I forgot to write, just to be sure:

Old map: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/axix

Overhaul: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ha049lypth0ny3/AXIXoverhaul.wad?dl=0

Build time: I had a break of a few months in between, so I can't exactly count build time. However, when I worked on it, I would build for 1 hour each day or something.

Skill levels implemented: Not much and the default difficulty is UV. However, in certain trickier areas, I changed some of the monsters or I removed a small amount of them in the lower difficulties.

Coop: No

DM: No

Texture packs used: No

MIDI used: Last minute change. I used Queen's The show must go on (don't ask me why, I thought it was good for a MIDI in Doom).

I think the WAD is finished, although I will playtest it some more, in the following days, in case I want to change something (not likely, but it still has more than enough pinkies, so I could change that a bit)

Replayed the overhauled version of the WAD and so I changed an S1 door switch to an SR, because occasionally the door will close on itself and it may result in being trapped. Also I removed/replaced some of the Pinkies, with Imps, Humans and Sergeants and I put some more cover at the room with the Arch-vile. Should be ok now.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qedxmqvymm6uylw/AXIXoverhaulv2.wad?dl=0

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

Any news about this community project compilation or you just decided to wait and rest a bit more? Just curious, nothing special. 

[THIS POST WAS EDITED]

SOrry, I've posted this message to the wrong thread. Riderr3, thank you, but I'm just a blind idiot.

I should say, that I will only show 1 map, which I've already uploaded here before.

Edited by DeXiaZ

fdas for the five maps listed in OP (PURPLED.WAD didn't work cuz missing texture thing):

Download: noisy_recycled.zip (prb+ cl9)

played in alphabetical order, by filename.  if any needed outside resources, i didn't actually comb the thread for that info; i just played immediately from the links in OP.

some of these were friggin long. holy smokes.

The only one I didn't finish was Recycled Alpha, because I died before the Yellow Key and wasn't saving; didn't want to replay the whole map again.

Recycled Alpha: I think i saw some HOMs and a skytransfer bug; i didn't see anything gamebreaking

other maps: i can't remember; didn't see anything gamebreaking.

g'nite.

19 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Any news about this community project compilation or you just decided to wait and rest a bit more? Just curious, nothing special. 

I'm currently looking for a decent intermission picture for the project, as well as a starting screen picture which would hopefully work with doom's palette. It turns out it's a bit finnicky to get something in that doesn't look "bugged" due to palette issues, which makes me kinda wanna go with "before and after" type of screenshots from maps. 

Aside of what was mentioned by NoisyVelvet, I should be able to do a thourough playthrough this weekend, since I don't have my son here at that time. If there's nothing particularly problematic in any of the maps, and nothing needs any sort of urgent fixing, I might also do the compiling right after. Once I have the compilation ready, the OP will also be edited accordingly. So I'd guess ideally early-mid next week things should be ready for the most part, unless of course there's something getting in the way like important fixes taking longer than they should, or somesuch.

Perhaps I can reach out to @DerFurer'sFace, and ask him to do the required editing to his map before I put the whole thing together, if not then I might do some of the fixes myself in a somewhat "lazy" fashion, before I compile all the stuff. Depends on what happens on his end I guess. On second thoughts I am not entirely sure what sort of state his map is actually in. Assuming the word "alpha" is in there for a reason, I'll best give it a look later today to see what it's like. Hopefully it's "ready enough" overall, because I'm not keen on too many further delays but I also want that map in the project. So let's stay optimistic.

But yeah, sorry for being a bit too uncommunicative about this. It's not like I forgot about this project, it just turns out that the time extent that bonnie asked for sort of pushed the whole thing in a bit of a rough spot for me timing wise. There's been a whole lot going on for me the past few weeks, so I really didn't have the "energy" to spend enough quality time with this in order to get it off my shoulders, for lack of a better expression.

Figured it'd be nice to explain why I didn't send in any stuff, but basically it boils down to the death of my father in june last year(apparently I didn't already wrote this here, thought I did), which put me into a deep hole that I'm just starting to get out of.

And I found out I'm not good at recycling things, as I tend to block myself from changing too much since I want to keep the original as untouched as possible, which is in my case pretty hard since I chose the wrong wad to start with.

While at it, here is my excuse: Exams. Yup. Might not be bad as a death case or a injury or a major power blackout, but those bitches soak up 90% of my free time, I couldn't really find myself mapping without doing something I enjoy first at least. Yeah, yeah, I am a bad mapper, could have done it earlier, I deserve all the bad names you can plaster on me. Now lemme do another warmup for a exam tomorrow :)