Recycled Community Project

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Perhaps I can reach out to @DerFurer'sFace, and ask him to do the required editing to his map before I put the whole thing together, if not then I might do some of the fixes myself in a somewhat "lazy" fashion, before I compile all the stuff. Depends on what happens on his end I guess. On second thoughts I am not entirely sure what sort of state his map is actually in. Assuming the word "alpha" is in there for a reason, I'll best give it a look later today to see what it's like. Hopefully it's "ready enough" overall, because I'm not keen on too many further delays but I also want that map in the project. So let's stay optimistic.

Well i can take a quick overlook of my map one more time but I was pretty certain that I left my map in a completed and preferred state. If there was any errors you found or areas you didn't like, please let me know. I'll take another look but I may have left it named Recycle Alpha by accident.

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Well i can take a quick overlook of my map one more time but I was pretty certain that I left my map in a completed and preferred state. If there was any errors you found or areas you didn't like, please let me know. I'll take another look but I may have left it named Recycle Alpha by accident.

Your map was the last one I played, so it was the only one fresh in my head.  I recall at least one HOM (untextured missing doortrak midtex; the type that won't show in older doombuilder "Map Analysis" tools) and one small scene where the sky transfer was missing.  I think there was another HOM or two earlier than that too, also I didn't load texture packs fyi if that's relevant.  You can watch the demo if you don't mind combing 40 minutes of gameplay, heh.  There were some big maps here, but your's was the biggest.

also, I don't know what version I played of your wad.  To reiterate, it was what was linked in the OP last night, and I played as is, standalone.  I think your map was called "map01.wad" and I renamed to to "Recycled_Alpha.wad" before playing it to match the zip's name.  I did not read any textfiles provided :^)

7 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Your map was the last one I played, so it was the only one fresh in my head.  I recall at least one HOM (untextured missing doortrak midtex; the type that won't show in older doombuilder "Map Analysis" tools) and one small scene where the sky transfer was missing.  I think there was another HOM or two earlier than that too, also I didn't load texture packs fyi if that's relevant.  You can watch the demo if you don't mind combing 40 minutes of gameplay, heh.  There were some big maps here, but your's was the biggest.

also, I don't know what version I played of your wad.  To reiterate, it was what was linked in the OP last night, and I played as is, standalone.  I think your map was called "map01.wad" and I renamed to to "Recycled_Alpha.wad" before playing it to match the zip's name.  I did not read any textfiles provided :^)

I did a good comb over today and i found a couple sky texture issues and missing door items. I believe my map is now in a very healthy state.

Changes i made:

fixed some missing door textures

Added at least 20 sky transfer sectors to remove the sky bugs

Added some more ammo and health in areas

Changed heights of some of the towers

Removed a few revenants

Added another trap near the red key

Fixed red skull secret so its actually accessible

I think everything else is in order.

Recycle_DFFv2.zip

1 person likes this

I went to the back of the attic to mend a couple fried synapses.  Without commenting on gameplay, here's some things that might be considered technical bugs:

AXIX - there's two areas with stuck monsters, but they actually added value rather than subtracted from the experience. i.m.o

Icemare - I can only recommend considering a box of bullets in the shootable lift, just to hedge against softlocks.  (I wish Doom had the pistol fire non-damaging tracers at 0 bullets or something, just so edge-cases could be avoided.  But, unfortunately Doom is not a perfect game.  Or maybe a recharging bullet dispenser; you punch a vending machine with 1 hp, it drops a clip, but it resurrects itself after a while.  whatever, i don't wanna get carried away)

Others - seemed fine iirc.

Edited by NoisyVelvet
1 person likes this

@ShotgunDemolition

In case did not post it somewhere in this thread (maybe I just missed it), I still need a txt for your map (Check OP for what is supposed to go in).

The stuck monsters in your map, imo, should get "unstuck", since it's kinda the point of this project to recognize and deal with issues like those. It's an easy fix to make and I can do that for you, so you don't have to reupload another version of the map.

So here's a dropbox link that shows the current state of the compilation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/917cf8h6c0dvpaf/recycled.zip?dl=1

For those who are interested in playing my map, since I kept it to myself until now, it's in slot 07 because it is arguably the longest map in the set, and it's perhaps the most difficult of them all. The difficulty settings are all implemented, and they are somewhat "subtle", because I am not a big fan of spreading the settings out too much. I didn't pay too much attention to overhauling the visuals, though I added some minor touches here and there. I was mostly focused on getting the map to a less shotgungrind heavy state of play, upping the overall pace a little, but also adding some new fights. Had to more or less "axe" and rebuild a section entirely. Here's hoping you'll leave with your sanity still intact. UV is for when you're decent at slaughter stuff, HMP is for when you're not too good at it, and HNTR/ITYTD should be doable for pretty much everybody. If anybody wants to FDA the map, do it with saves.

I got the mapnames in, so people can see who did what on the automap (I hope I did not confuse people and their maps). I got the archive stripped from all the unused resources and shit. And I wanted to get in that picture from OP which rdwpa made. As you can see the palette screws it over pretty bad, and setting a colourmap translation for it won't help. So that's something I still need to somehow figure out, because I'd like to keep that picture for the compilation.

As soon as ShotgunDemolition's stuck monsters are gone (I still need him to agree to me doing that small edit), I'll get an intermission pic, and I guess it'll be ready to go. On that note, if any of you wanna do a demo for your own map, after everything is checked and ready, let me know. Would be a nice touch to see the demos getting played back ingame I think.

3 people like this

If you want to see the entire map I was working on played from start to finish on UV, here's a demo with a length of a bit less than 50 minutes: RC07-CasualMax_sub50m.zip

I didn't play a lot the last weeks, so it's a bit sketchy here and there. Grab a coffee, make yourself comfortable.

I noticed a few things in the map that I didn't catch previously, so those are gonna be fixed when I do the next small batch of edits to the compilation.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

In case did not post it somewhere in this thread (maybe I just missed it), I still need a txt for your map (Check OP for what is supposed to go in).

The stuck monsters in your map, imo, should get "unstuck", since it's kinda the point of this project to recognize and deal with issues like those. It's an easy fix to make and I can do that for you, so you don't have to reupload another version of the map.

Sorry, I forgot that it needed to be a txt and so I posted the info in a post in this thread.

Here is the txt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w21n66bzilz2r35/AXIXV2.txt?dl=0

About the stuck monsters, I can't remember it having stuck monsters (maybe I encountered them once and didn't pay attention or maybe I have written about them in this thread, yet I can't remember anything).

If you are not bothered by it, then by all means you can edit the monsters any way you want.

Edited by ShotgunDemolition
1 person likes this

fdas for maps 6 and 7.  noisy_recycled6-7.zip (prb+ cl9; switched to cl-1 for heelz map after i died)

I played these last night; I'm giving up alcohol for the lenten season, so i binged through a bottle of sake while playing these (i only planned on drinking half but went through the whole thing somehow).  I used saves generously on map07, but eventually got walled by the white-n-blue hyperdeath rape cave in heels' map.  I didn't heed her warning lol.  Then I got sleepy and went to bed.  I'll likely finish it tonight or something because i'm stubborn.  Demos probably not worth watching, and sometimes when i play i turn into a walking brainstem - but as always, i'll include it for data's sake.

things i remember

Map06: -I don't remember any technical bugs.

Map07: -I recall one sky transfer issue;

-inconsistent damaging floor issue near same area? but could be wrong and not sure if intentional (in the nukage/intestines in the interplanar, organic marble place)

-lots of blocking hanging corpses in at least a few places that don't seem intentional.

edit: heh i double checked; like 45 50 minutes into the noisy_recycled_7try2.lmp is when i finally get to the cave, and it's only halfway done playing.  so i guess that demo is like 1.5 2 hrs before it stops in the same cave.

Edited by NoisyVelvet

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Map07: -I recall one sky transfer issue;

I think I know were that one might have been. A brief desciption would have been nice though ;-)

inconsistent damaging floor issue near same area? but could be wrong and not sure if intentional (in the nukage/intestines in the interplanar, organic marble place)

I'm nigh 100% sure all the sectors there are set to damaging and will hurt you if you're walking around there. I'll double check this to make sure, but basically, when you position yourself in a certain way, you won't get hurt by these floors by taking advantage of height differences. See demo for how it works: RC07_hurtfloor.zip

I could certainly make it such that this "phenomenon" does not occur in that section of the map by using "action 242" shenanigans, but on the other hand I honestly don't think it will actually change all that much since people don't wanna fall off anyway once they reel in a hurt instance. That aside this behaviour is kinda in the player's favour as well. Also there is no action going on out there anyway. Not sure how I feel about it in general, but I guess in this case I won't bother doing anything about that particular issue.

lots of blocking hanging corpses in at least a few places that don't seem intentional.

I was somewhat confident I removed just about all the hanging and blocking corpses that would actually get in people's ways. After rewatching my own demo I spotted a few that I overlooked in places where they might be annoying, but I'm kinda hesitant to just use "find/replace" on them, since the author of the original really seemed to like those in particular. So I suppose I'll comb through the map once more to at least keep some of them around. Might as well add some lighting gradients here and there while I'm at it.

I used saves generously on map07, but eventually got walled by the white-n-blue hyperdeath rape cave in heels' map.  I didn't heed her warning lol.

Yeah, I'm a bit shaken here. It's not like I am unwilling to make any changes to the difficulty overall, but at the same time I feel like that fight plays in a pretty consistent manner. I mean, I guess this one of the reasons why I am not going to sign up for community projects like Joy Of Mapping etc in the future just like that and actually hope to get my maps in without any issues whatsoever, since it would appear that some of the stuff that I find quite reasonable gives other people a bit of a rough time. UV is meant to be somewhat difficult in the sense that it is slightly more unforgiving than HMP is, but I'm open to suggestions in terms of tweaking that fight a little bit for UV and maybe also HMP, it's just that I can do that fight about 9 times out of 10, if not more, and it only ever gets me killed when I gamble too much there. Not that it is super easy overall, so yeah, I have mixed feelings about this one if it gives you so much trouble.

1 person likes this

@Nine Inch Heels from what i played it was pretty fun. 

the damaging floors is probably fine: i checked it out again for fun really quick, and apparently you can hover over damaging floor and not get hurt.  I will add this knowledge to my collection of doom powers for future dooming.  thanks.  Also, I actually didn't know you could climb up back up onto the main platform, until everything was dead and I risked exploring for the invuln secret; The stairs were skinny and i neglected them the first time.

here is the sky transfer thing i noticed, but it looks cool because it's a abstract, symmetric bulls-eye pattern, so it passes as Not-A-Bug :)

DMkXxno.png

This is the place with the most annoying hanging corpses imo.  the rest i saw weren't too bad.  I had revenant rockets on my tail but was tangled by infinite height corpses that I assumed were their unblocking variant (unless it was a nodebuild error thing too).

2mEPpMT.png

Also, I don't think it's necessary to change stuff if you don't want to just because I sucked at parts of the map :p.  After all, I'm just one particular dude on the internet who may not be the best at doom, who played on UV anyways (i'm 44% percentile on 2017's ironman league, which is the only metric i can cite here).  For your note though, which should be used at your discretion of course, I noticed that you went into the fight with more health and cells.  On my playthrough, I went in with less but also saved myself into that position, which was an unoptimal state.  I did come close to beating it anyways though, a couple times actually, but tripped towards the end when there were just Cybers and Revenants left.  It's always a tough call on whether or not to make concessions for other people; and sometimes the feedback is a small sample-size too, etc.  I'm just a singular NoisyVelvet.

I like Boomcave and Icemare the best, for what it's worth.

Edited by NoisyVelvet