Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Thing projectile sends projectiles the wrong way :/

Question

I am using udmf format and am trying to create a projectile trap using thing projectile where you step on a linedef that triggers a mapspot which then uses the thing projectile thing special to send a fireball. It works except that for some reason the projectile never goes where intended. Even if I set Movement angle to 180 (which is the direction the fireball is suppose to go) as well as the mapspot itself the fireball still goes in a completely different direction. I have horizinal speed at 100 and vertial at 0 if that makes any difference.

6 answers to this question

My guess is that the direction the mapspot is facing matters. Also, 100 is too fast for the engine to handle properly, unless your projectile inherits from FastProjectile.

Maybe you could spawn a motionless monster with no sprite (TNT1) that fires a projectile at the player and then ceases to exist.

13 hours ago, Empyre said:

My guess is that the direction the mapspot is facing matters. Also, 100 is too fast for the engine to handle properly

100 seems to work fine. And no changing the direction of the mapspot makes no difference. This is driving me fucking nuts.

Change the speed to 35 and see if it works any better.

EDIT: I read Thing_Projectile and the speed is per 8 tics, so 100 should actually be fine. But the angle is a byte angle, so it's not measured in degrees as you've probably assumed when you put 180 in there.

Edited by scifista42

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Change the speed to 35 and see if it works any better.

EDIT: I read Thing_Projectile and the speed is per 8 tics, so 100 should actually be fine. But the angle is a byte angle, so it's not measured in degrees as you've probably assumed when you put 180 in there.

Yea it works now lol that's really confusing. Still it's a bit late now since I modified my original design for the trap to just make it shoot a BFG ball straight up from the floor where the trap plate is pressed resulting in instant death. A bit cheap I know but I added some red colored lights around the sector was "warning" so it's not too unfair I guess.

13 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

A bit cheap I know but I added some red colored lights around the sector was "warning" so it's not too unfair I guess.

Since when red colored lights mean an insta-death trap?

35 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Since when red colored lights mean an insta-death trap?

It's more obvious when you actually see the trap. I can't be bothered to upload a photo but it makes sense in-game honest. And if it doesn't there is always F9.