Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorFoley

Making a move from GZdoom 1.6.0 to 3.1.0 and need some help

So whenever i feel the need to play just doom in general i use GZdoom 1.6.0, make the sprites look how they used to by not using any texture filter mode and disabling enhanced night vision and editing a very other things like hug sizes etc. And when i feel like playing custom games like weapon mods, RPG, and some other things im looking to try like Nerves of Steel and Project Einherjar by impietwo i use 1.9.0. However Project Einherjar doesn't seem to even like 1.9.0 so i resigned myself to the fact that i need to get a new GZdoom for those mods, its about time i do a clean anyway since i had like 5 different GZdoom files, going down to 2 would be great.

When i first opened 3.10 i was pretty blown away by the amount of extra options there are and its a little daunting to try and set it all up, at least from my view. I was able to get the same HUD look as i did in 1.60 and the messages too but there are a couple of things that i may not know of that i would like to ask here.

1. GZdoom 1.6's default music i think was using something called fmod right? When was it removed in GZdoom and what is it's closest alternative in GZdoom 3.10?

2. By default GZdoom 3.10 seems to use fluidsytnh, can someone explain why it sounds so different? I mean i use a WAD to change my music tracks to use their OST versions i guess you could call them because i prefer them but i didn't exactly know you could change how they sound through the sound settings like that. So yeah i kinda would like to know how that works.

3. I know this probably sounds a bit stupid but when im comparing versions and i got most of the video settings the same, i feel like Gzdoom 3.10 still has enemies moving a bit faster/smoother than 1.6.0 despite having the same dispaly settings under textures, it's proably because im a little tired but thats just how it seems to me. Did anyone else get that kinda feeling when switching over?

4. Is there a way to just copy some of the settings over and then tweak them? I'm thinking of this little idea because 3.1.0 seems to save it as gzdoom-(computername).ini so i was thinking you could copy the file over and rename it to that and then tweak to your hearts content.

52 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

1. GZdoom 1.6's default music i think was using something called fmod right? When was it removed in GZdoom and what is it's closest alternative in GZdoom 3.10?

See this thread:

2. By default GZdoom 3.10 seems to use fluidsytnh, can someone explain why it sounds so different? I mean i use a WAD to change my music tracks to use their OST versions i guess you could call them because i prefer them but i didn't exactly know you could change how they sound through the sound settings like that. So yeah i kinda would like to know how that works.

MIDI music isn't recorded sounds, it's basically music sheet for computers. The same way that a text file, once printed on paper, may look completely different depending on which software was used to print it (choice of font, page layout, margins, etc.); the same is true for how MIDI may sound completely different depending on which software was used to play it. If you didn't change the system default, GZDoom used to use FMOD Ex's own MIDI player, but since FMOD is no longer there  this player isn't used anymore.

3. I know this probably sounds a bit stupid but when im comparing versions and i got most of the video settings the same, i feel like Gzdoom 3.10 still has enemies moving a bit faster/smoother than 1.6.0 despite having the same dispaly settings under textures, it's proably because im a little tired but thats just how it seems to me. Did anyone else get that kinda feeling when switching over?

There can be differences in interpolation settings. If you played without interpolation and now it's turned on, enemy movement will seem smoother -- that's the entire point of interpolation.

4. Is there a way to just copy some of the settings over and then tweak them? I'm thinking of this little idea because 3.1.0 seems to save it as gzdoom-(computername).ini so i was thinking you could copy the file over and rename it to that and then tweak to your hearts content.

Yes, you can just copy your old ini.

On 02/06/2017 at 10:52 PM, Gez said:

See this thread:

MIDI music isn't recorded sounds, it's basically music sheet for computers. The same way that a text file, once printed on paper, may look completely different depending on which software was used to print it (choice of font, page layout, margins, etc.); the same is true for how MIDI may sound completely different depending on which software was used to play it. If you didn't change the system default, GZDoom used to use FMOD Ex's own MIDI player, but since FMOD is no longer there  this player isn't used anymore.

There can be differences in interpolation settings. If you played without interpolation and now it's turned on, enemy movement will seem smoother -- that's the entire point of interpolation.

Yes, you can just copy your old ini.

I'm sorry i never replied but i wish to thank you for the answers. Right now im using 3.1.0 but i plan on upgrading to 3.2.5 due to some security issue in 3.0 and higher apparently? Don't know much of it. But i only use GZdoom 3+ for mods and total conversions, when i feel like playing standard i still use 1.6.0. Good thing saves still work too when moving from 3.1 to 3.2.5. Ill mess around a bit because i never did the copy old ini as a test, might be something to do.

9 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

I'm sorry i never replied but i wish to thank you for the answers. Right now im using 3.1.0 but i plan on upgrading to 3.2.5 due to some security issue in 3.0 and higher apparently? Don't know much of it. But i only use GZdoom 3+ for mods and total conversions, when i feel like playing standard i still use 1.6.0. Good thing saves still work too when moving from 3.1 to 3.2.5. Ill mess around a bit because i never did the copy old ini as a test, might be something to do.

Although you probably haven't played it, GZdoom 3.1.0 also added support for Strife: Veteran Edition's single player campaign, so if you ever decide to play that outside of GoG or Steam, just know that you now can. You'll need strife1.wad, voices.wad, and sve.wad in your GZdoom folder. 

It is a stupid move to remove FmodEx at the time when Linux don't even have DLS support.

You can actually change MIDI device in GZDoom back to MSGS.

5 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It is a stupid move to remove FmodEx at the time when Linux don't even have DLS support.

No, it isn't, and trying to rehash the thread Gez kindly linked to in the very first reply to this thread (where the reason why it went beyond "not stupid" into the realms of "the only sane thing to do" is explained in detail) is not going to be useful.

Indeed. Changing the license to be more community-friendly is anything but stupid. If you read the relevant topics you will find out that FMod was the main reason why ZDoom and its children had such a messy license situation.

Simply get away with the soundfont in Linux that won't sound as good as MSGS.

The problem? None has made a totally free alternative to FModEx, only OpenAL exists without integrated MIDI player.

Honestly i dont mind the music from the fluidsynth front either (although it did sound REAL different) and even if i still wanted to listen to fmod i still have 1.6.0 for that and i mostly used the OSTs found in a wad on doomdepot anyway so i rarely listened to them to begin with.

Ok i guess while some people are here can anyone explain to me what this ACS security thing was with the GZdoom 3.0+ that the author was talking about? How big of an issue is it and should i be worried?

https://zdoom.org/news shown on the first paragraph here.

2 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Ok i guess while some people are here can anyone explain to me what this ACS security thing was with the GZdoom 3.0+ that the author was talking about? How big of an issue is it and should i be worried?

It was theoretically possible to craft a malformed BEHAVIOR lump that would allow to send the ACS VM stack pointer outside of where it's supposed to be by messing with the push and pop instructions in compiled bytecode.

To be frank I really doubt it's much of an issue. What you can do with that is rather limited, and if you want to do something more clever than crash the program, the exploit is version-dependent as the relative position of various variables in memory can change.

On 10/01/2018 at 1:54 AM, Gez said:

It was theoretically possible to craft a malformed BEHAVIOR lump that would allow to send the ACS VM stack pointer outside of where it's supposed to be by messing with the push and pop instructions in compiled bytecode.

To be frank I really doubt it's much of an issue. What you can do with that is rather limited, and if you want to do something more clever than crash the program, the exploit is version-dependent as the relative position of various variables in memory can change.

As long as no one can get into my computer or mess with my gzdoom settings through this exploit i think im good either way then :)