Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity now has UDMF sector scroller properties; scroller fixes

Small quality-of-life change here, I decided to make some properties that let you scroll sectors without any line specials. Nothing is ratified yet, and I'd actually like to hear some input from one of the *ZDoom team, as this would be a nice feature that benefits end-users of both ports. Also, SCROLL_FLOOR AND SCROLL_CEILING VIA ACS WERE BROKEN BEFORE IN ETERNITY, THE SPEED IS NOW FIXED TO BE THE SAME AS ZDOOM'S.

Properties so far:

scroll_ceil_x: Double: A value of 1.0 is approximately one unit per second, using the same speed that ACS Scroll_Floor/Ceiling use (from ZDoom).

scroll_ceil_y: Double: A value of 1.0 is approximately one unit per second, using the same speed that ACS Scroll_Floor/Ceiling use (from ZDoom).

scroll_ceil_type: String: Either a value of "none" (default), "visual", "physical", or "both" (visual and physical)

scroll_floor_x: Double: A value of 1.0 is approximately one unit per second, using the same speed that ACS Scroll_Floor/Ceiling use (from ZDoom).

scroll_floor_y: Double: A value of 1.0 is approximately one unit per second, using the same speed that ACS Scroll_Floor/Ceiling use (from ZDoom).

scroll_floor_type: String: Either a value of "none" (default), "visual", "physical", or "both" (visual and physical)

The one thing I'm not hugely sure about is the type strings. Whilst I can't see us getting any more types of scrollers, it might be a tad short-sighted to have the "both" thing in there. A better name would be appreciated, if anybody can come up with one.

Also, scroll_ceil_type doesn't really work for carrying, as it was a think killough wanted it but never implemented. It's DSTINK and warn you if you try to do so at the moment.

Commit: https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/commit/5b8638a6268a0df13c098da0692685e7d8dd7bda

Expect more small QoL changes to come in like this, as whilst UDMF is great for big sweeping changes (like our portals or ZDoom's slopes), I feel that both parties have neglected certain little things that can be done with UDMF properties.

EDIT: Fixed some stuff https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/commit/b7dcdcdb64e1c483c7dbb0ee9d745a8680c34932

Might tweak Scroll_Floor and Scroll_Ceiling to be a bool at some point, which would choose whether or not to override or add on.

Edited by Altazimuth

How do physical ceiling scrollers work?

I'll have a look at your implementation later, this should be relatively easy to port.

7 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Sorry, didn't see your message until after I edited the first post, the case is there in the thinker, but nothing was implemented. Seems to be a holdover from Boom. Might just restrict the type to "none" and "visual".

In ScrollThinker::Think()

case ScrollThinker::sc_carry_ceiling:   // to be added later

Edited by Altazimuth

I think "ceiling" would be more consistent with other property names than "ceil" but that's not very important (and there are portal_ceil_* properties already anyway).

Having "speed" and "angle" properties might be more user-friendly (and in a way more consistent with the Heretic and Hexen sector types which offer set strengths in various directions), but mathematically the result is the same (polar vs. cartesian coordinates) and it can all be abstracted by the editor UI.

31 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

They move things that hang from the ceiling?

Also I remember having to use a Vavoom-style 3D floor to have a scrolling effect on a 3D floor top before (see sectors #15880 and #15881 in ZDCMP2). It's good to remember that sometimes a sector's ceiling might turn into a floor elsewhere...

38 minutes ago, Gez said:

Having "speed" and "angle" properties might be more user-friendly (and in a way more consistent with the Heretic and Hexen sector types which offer set strengths in various directions), but mathematically the result is the same (polar vs. cartesian coordinates) and it can all be abstracted by the editor UI.

I had considered the idea of angles, but angles in the Doom engine suck (in my opinion) and can be inconsistent with each other already, so I decided to go with what I felt was the more unambiguous solution. Any map editor considers x to increase as you go east, and y as you go north (same for co-ordinates in automap (usually? I dunno if any break that trend)).

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

Ideally yes, but making this work in practice is a lot harder than it might seem, due to stuff like friction. Your point about 3D sectors is an exceptionally good call, and one I didn't think of.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Ha, ha.

Try as you want, but they need some entirely different implementation because ceiling-hanging things are not subjected to friction. (Which is why Boom never got to them in the first place.)

Any update on the *ZDoom front regarding this? I'm pretty much ready to make this feature actively documented if you're OK with it as-is.

Oh shit I forgot to send my test map. I fidgeted about with the values in the actual map and ACS script, tested them against ZDoom values as well to make sure that they're the same speed and such.

UDMF_Scroll.7z

On 2.8.2017 at 8:50 PM, Altazimuth said:

Oh shit I forgot to send my test map. I fidgeted about with the values in the actual map and ACS script, tested them against ZDoom values as well to make sure that they're the same speed and such.

I'll drop a note at the ZDoom developer forum to have it checked. Unfortunately, due to a new job I am extremely short on time right now and won't be able to do much work on Doom until I become better acquainted with the new employer.

Don't work on it. My shit's broken. Fixing.

EDIT: I FIXED THAT SHIT. I feel like such a colossal fucking idiot.

Edited by Altazimuth