Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Whic enemy is least dangerous in large numbers?

Guest Unregistered account
4 minutes ago, invictius said:

Pinkies at long range, I guess?

Depends on the terrain -  they'll quickly close in, unless there's, say, a chasm, in which case, yeah.

4 minutes ago, invictius said:

Not sure about short range, maybe former humans?

Ooooh, no, Former Humans take chunks out of your health in large numbers. Just watch Aquarius199's playthrough of HOM City. I don't actually know my answer for this one!

Anything that fires projectiles from far away is relatively harmless, if we ignore the case of forgetting about a lethal stack of revenant rockets. Everything else, including mancubi, can easily be tap-dodged so the projectiles don't connect at all... Arachnotrons can be a problem if you need to do a crossover at some point, because getting through a thick plasma-stream with virtually no gaps in it can hurt a lot. It's mostly about the situation anyways, so the question is difficult to answer in a simple way to begin with.

Close up, anything can be lethal if given enough time, the only exception to this rule would be PEs, as already mentioned.

22 minutes ago, Killer5 said:

Masterminds :P

Actually.... yes.

They'll just organize themselves into a huge circular firing squad.

Commander keens , they are actually considered as ennemies !

Honestly, i'd say imps. Imp fireballs are really slow, and pretty damn easy to dodge. unless you let them corner you, its pretty easy to just strafe and spray.

It pretty much depends on the environment and what you have in your hands, it's not the same to face a horde of pinkies where there is a LOT of space to circlestrafe in case you don't have a chainsaw for example, than facing the same horde with pillars in the middle or in a corridor, or even if they teleport in front of and behind you. It would be the easiest case if, say, there is a linedef that monsters cannot pass and all you have to do is off one by one, since they don't have a range attack, you don't need to dodge or cover from anything. 

It's hard to answer this without taking into account a lot of external factors... 

I'd say pinkies. You can dispatch them with a single SSG blast at close range, and if you lack shells, you can chainsaw them and back away when they start to bite.

Imps, they and their fireballs are slow, it's easy to dodge them depending on the environment of course.

2 hours ago, Roofi said:

Commander keens , they are actually considered as ennemies !

Do what the text before Level 32 in Doom 2 says: You Gotta Blaaaaze Through This One! :)

Either Imps or Zombiemen, depending on the situation. The Imp's attack is relatively harmless but it takes a bit of time to take them down while the Zombie might hurt you but with the proper weaponry can be taken out so quickly that they rarely pose a thread. And the tend to kill each other when coming in packs.

Are they coming from multiple directions, one or what?

Lost souls are high up the useless tier, They'll infight and kill 90% of the souls before even engaging you, Doesn't help that you can neutralize them with chaingun\plasma. If the player has access to a corner and chainsaw then pinkies can take forever and not even harm the player. 

I think that with enough distance, groups of imps are the easiest to take down. Easier than zombiemen because they don't have a hitscan attack, and easier than the pinkies because they're weaker, slower, and they keep stopping to fire at you, which means that you can basically just circle strafe around the whole group and they will remain in the center. Also, if you're playing with 'fast monsters' on, pinkies become so fast that they could be dangerous even at mid range

Depends on the layout and the location of where the enemies are fought, really. If you have shit-tons of space to maneuver, then any non-hitscan monster can basically be circlestrafed and shot to death. On the other hand, if you have less moving space and more space being taken up by the monsters , then even the easy ones like pinkies can be dangerous due to how they would close in.

3 hours ago, scifista42 said:

PRO DOOM MONSTER STRATS.avi

Is this type of deliberately derpy doom explanation video a meme or something? Because that's the second channel with them that I've seen in the past week.

I once tried setting up a swarm encounter with lost souls, since I had never seen a encounter like that before. Well, it turned out there was a reason for that. When you release 144 lost souls all at once, the majority of them immediately aggro each other and head butt themselves to death.

If you have some cover and the monster horde is restricted to spawning/appearing in one direction, I'd say anything with hitscan. Preferably zombiemen.
If you have no cover but the monsters are coming at you from one end of a corridor, I'd say imps.

As for enemies coming at you in a spread out fashion from multiple directions... Anything can and will kill you at that point. Except maybe lost souls.

Even a large swarm of lost souls can be dangerous if you divide them into lines and make each line of lost soul be at a different height from the others. Like a wall of lost souls.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, Zulk-RS said:

As for enemies coming at you in a spread out fashion from multiple directions... Anything can and will kill you at that point.

See scifista's post. Pinkies are chumps, even in large numbers, if you play footsies and bait their melee attacks.

Edited by Cackledemon : Whoops, quoted the wrong paragraph.

The same tactic won't work on Lost Souls, though, as they don't have melee attacks, it's the impact itself that causes damage when they charge at you.

13 hours ago, Cackledemon said:

See scifista's post. Pinkies are chumps, even in large numbers, if you play footsies and bait their melee attacks.

Except (for me anyway) it's really hard to do and if they come at me from say 3, 4 (or 8) different directions, I'm pretty much screwed.

Among hitscanners, SS nazis for certain. They miss so much that they are virtually harmless and less dangerous than a zombie even at medium distances (and actually much more likely to hit their buddies and start infighting). Actually, all hitscanners beyond the hitscan targeting range of 2048 units are pretty much harmless ;-)

2 minutes ago, Maes said:

Among hitscanners, SS nazis for certain. They miss so much that they are virtually harmless and less dangerous than a zombie even at medium distances

That's just your imagination. They have the exact same shooting precision and damage distribution per shot.

41 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

That's just your imagination. They have the exact same shooting precision and damage distribution per shot.

Heh, weird. I always thought they were far more inaccurate than other hitscanners. Perhaps it's their faster firing rate (compared to a zombie) but not near that of a chaingunner that highlights their inaccuracy? Do chaingunners and sergeants also have the same damage and precision distributions per shot/pellet?

Arch-viles are harmless if you're more than 14*64 map units away from them and they don't get hurt.