Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

1 Year In

Guest MIND

It's been a year since this game that I anticipated so much was released. I truly thought this would be a groundbreaking game with it's SnapMap being wildly popular and everybody using it and commenting on it with insane Multiplayer. I thought it would be as big as Doom and Doom 2 were in the 90's but for the 2010's. I thought I'd be having a blast making my own custom maps with my own custom textures like in ZDOOM or DoomBuilder.

Well, none of that happened. 

The campaign was solid but there is NO community for this game. It's dead. Nowhere close to being a new generation Doom 1 or 2. SnapMap is a lame thing with certain presets you can use. The logic system is confusing as shit. I've seen a few impressive maps but those guys REALLY had to think outside of the box and trick the in game system with glitches and whatnot to make it fun. Using player blocking volumes to make new environments. 

Cross-Platform compatibility ruined it for PC gamers. They had to dumb it down for console gamers to make it more accessible. Good business move but shit for people who want to make new things.

If anybody at ID is reading this, I say STOP releasing lame DLC and GIVE US MODDING TOOLS so that we can really do some interesting stuff. I want to put my own textures and music in. Draw out my own rooms. Not use some lame presets. I feel like everytime I play a new SnapMap I say to myself "Hey, I've been here before" or "Hey this looks really familiar.

The campaign was fucking excellent. The music? Excellent. The campaign gets a 5/5. SnapMap get's a 2/5 for how lame it is. Multiplayer get's a 2/5 for how dead it is now.

We can only hope that this sequel they make is much better and lets us do more.  

Tools would be nice, but I really don't see a modding community building up around it. Modern engines are far too demanding for most people to work on in their spare time. There are projects for Doom 3 that still haven't been released 13 years later. I think they should release tools just for the sake of it, but don't expect the mod community to be like Doom 1 or 2. There's a reason iD has over 200 employees and it takes them half a decade to make a game.

You can make your own music in game fyi, and the amount of decal options can allow close to anything you want. I'v one question in regards to this, Where can I find user made levels for RAGE?

Nope, I'm aware of that. But Id had released an editor yet no user made levels have surfaced. why?

I get why people wanted more from Snapmap, as did I, but something as simple and accessible as Doom Builder or Slade for something as monstrously complex and gigantic as Doom 4 is just realistically unattainable. 

Edited by Sparktimus

I think if we could have more control to the prefabs themselves would improve it greatly. I still believe that they could build on what snapmap is and refine it a bit further it would be wonderful. As ling said in a prior post, to base the snapmap more on the singleplayer build would also help it immensely.

There is a lot of awesome stuff that snap map is capable of, I really like many aspects to it. it does end up feeling very restricted in some aspects.