Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Should we texture unseen walls?

Let me explain myself a little bit better,

Here's an example when you enter an area that you are not supposed to be in the walls or floors are nonexitant or they are passable sometimes they don't even have textures, this is due to optimization of course but i was wondering,

We need to do the same in doom? by putting no textures in walls we will never see to save frames?

No, it doesn't improve speed (or even filesize of the wad) to leave unseen walls untextured.

Even more so, a lack of texture can be interpreted to mean certain things by the game: for example rendering the sky across the whole area, or flood-filling the floor to hide a pit, that could influence areas you aren't meaning to.

If you give it a texture, the game knows to just leave it be.   

Guest Unregistered account

I had been wondering the same question myself. If leaving unseen geometry untextured doesn't improve filesize or performance in Vanilla, does it at least improve performance in OpenGL, however negligible a difference that may be?

Also, here's a similar question. Is it easier/faster/more efficient/whatever for the engine to render the sky rather than a flat, since it's just a single, less manipulated image rather than a tilted, angled and tiled (possibly over a massive area) one?

Kapanyo:

1. In OpenGL renderers that use GL nodes (like in GZDoom and GLBoom-plus), it shouldn't matter either, as the nodes are supposed to prevent the renderer from even touching anything that's out of view. Not sure about ports like Doomsday, which might be doing rendering differently.

2. Yes, rendering flats is the slowest process in the vanilla engine (requires 2D texture mapping per row of pixels, because of variable rotation relative to the camera's horizontal angle), whereas rendering skies is alike to rendering walls (requires only 1D texture mapping per column of pixels, because wall textures are always perfectly vertical regardless of the camera's horizontal angle).

I see. Thanks once again, Scifista!

31 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Yes, because if I know that it is untextured it will bother me forever!

How do you feel about the Chainsaw balcony in Entryway? :^)))))

If it's an inaccessible but visible area—typically background details—then everything ought to be textured. If there's no way the player will see it, don't worry about it.

The notable thing is that it'll get harder to detect the real missing textures from the untextured-on-purpose cases with the (GZ)Doom Builder's error checking tool.