Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Molehill (v2)

Fun and simple map, enjoyed. Difficult is on the easy side but I guess it's intended

Awesome map. just wondering, were the stair textures in the first screenshot meant to be unaligned? looks awesome though, really impressive use of grey and brown.

Spoiler

doom00.png.bdcaff1345c4c485a6c1f3b217cac7ff.png

This stair case doesn't work properly on GLBoom+, mostly. Sometimes it works, but I have to use a very specific angle and moving speed. I don't whether is my problem. Backpack should be eliminated for humanity... wait... It's a little bit overkill to have a backpack, just that. Really nice music!

Just played it and it is a cool map. I 100% it with full secrets and I can say that those were well hidden. And the music is a nice touch. I guess I will play Turrican 1 and 2, sometime in the future (only had Turrican 2004 in my Siemens mobile, many years back and it wasn't that great, compared to the Amiga ones or basically any other version). Its music, as a game, is just incredible (loved the The Desert Rocks track).

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

@Benjogami Thanks for the demo! I was a little worried about the conveyance of that rising staircase, but I'm not too sure how to address it. My inkling is that if I just let the player explore the level, since there's not really much map overall to wander through, they'll happen upon the solution eventually.

@Gothic While this was done pretty speedily, it wasn't really done in speedmapping conditions. :P

@Phade102 I don't see those stairs as misaligned, because the texture's dark contours are lined up neatly with the edges of the architecture. If I were to lower-unpeg the textures there, they'd run together, but would loose their sense of uniformity with the architecture, I feel.

@GarrettChan Have addressed the jimmyladder. Will be included in the /idgames release. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. )b

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

@Benjogami Thanks for the demo! I was a little worried about the conveyance of that rising staircase, but I'm not too sure how to address it. My inkling is that if I just let the player explore the level, since there's not really much map overall to wander through, they'll happen upon the solution eventually.

@Gothic While this was done pretty speedily, it wasn't really done in speedmapping conditions. :P

@Phade102 I don't see those stairs as misaligned, because the texture's dark contours are lined up neatly with the edges of the architecture. If I were to lower-unpeg the textures there, they'd run together, but would loose their sense of uniformity with the architecture, I feel.

@GarrettChan Have addressed the jimmyladder. Will be included in the /idgames release. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. )b

Thats actually what I figured you were going for. with the way they are, they look appropriate, like they're holding up the actual platform. I was just wondering, since a lot of people dont do stairs like that =D Its an amazing map, really.

v2 ready.

Dropbox mirror

Powerhouse mirror

Changes:

• Text file included
  • Rudimentary multi placement
  • Thing placement rebalanced slightly
  • Different sky
  • Entire map's light level dimmed by 16
  • Automap cleanup
  • More texture variation
  • Less busy light effects in places
  • Varied up the "natural" architecture a bit more
  • A little more detail in general

FDAs still welcome. :)

Edited by Jimmy

Guest Unregistered account

Just played it - holy heck, I love it! The idea of storming a mountain base is executed perfectly, and with that awesome music, I really felt empowered! Did you make that MIDI, by the way? It's amazing! Hit me as soon as I started.

I actually died at the exit, but eh, I BASICALLY beat it. Wonderful design, very playful and feels bigger and grander than it is!

14 minutes ago, Kapanyo said:

I actually died at the exit, but eh,

>:)

Thanks for the review! The music is not mine (its origin/sequencer is in the OP), although I loved it enough to include it here. Found it in an unfinished map included in Ultimate Simplicity, and have long wanted to hear it in a complete map.

Nice map Jimmy. FDA for v2 in the attachment.

The map is no doubt pretty easy but that's alright since I got the the feeling that you were going for something more relaxed rather than a challenge. Still fun, and the over-abundance of cell ammo that I experience in the FDA is intriguing from a speedrunner's point of view. Overall there's probably a bit too much ammo in any case since I was swimming in cells and shells by the end of the map. Exit trap is pretty classic heh, I was not very surprised to see the pillars drop and an AV appear.

molehill_FDA.zip

My review of the map:

- First of all, I liked the ambience used for this map, like it was ambiented in near night or something.

- It reminds me of another of your map, Mercury Rain for some reason...

- I noticed that there are groups of 3 barrels in several parts of the map. Coincidence?

- Nice start of the map with some imps and zombies, building slowly the action with those well placed barrels...

- Chainsaw and the berserk pack is obviously a great help for saving ammo. In fact, I used the plasma gun where that couple of pain elementals appeared and that's it. Also, the rocket launcher was...unnecessary, because I haven't used it at all. 

- The secrets were well hidden. Still, I managed to do a 100% playthrough.

- I even used the fist (with berserk) for the final part with those revenants and that archie.

- The layout of the map was not confusing, straight-forward gameplay with a few switches here and there. I like that.

- Overall, a solid and fun map. Not difficult at all, good gameplay flow. Thumbs up!!!

This looks pretty awesome Jimmy!  I'll definitely give it a spin and maybe record a demo for you too :)

Played V1 last night. I liked it! I had a little trouble with the progression of the map though, but it was short enough where wandering until I found an unvisited area was viable as a strategy. I was also pretty tired when I played it.

Guess I'll gear up for V2 tonight. :)

For the uneducated in wonderful game music-

You know now I'm curious how a Jimmy take on this piece would be like!

The stairs are working probably in V2 on PrBoom+, nice. It's a totally not linear map with open area. Lost Souls can be a little bit annoying from time to time (personal reference). There are way too much ammo lying around, so it's very relaxed map to enjoy. Therefore, I went for some UV -Fast action here. Don't treat runs (or walks) seriously, just blindly run around doing nothing, bitten or hit or penetrated by something :)

I guess some of the cells could be replaced by shells, or exchange the position of the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Probably force the player to take some risk in dealing with the Pain Elementals ;P

BTW, I found that those steep stairs in Plutonia Map13 and TNT Map19 are using the same texture... Is that a tradition? Just curious.

molehill-UVmax448.zip

molehill-UVfast550.zip

Edited by GarrettChan

In my search for a way to the chaingun, I tried to deal with those hell knights with only 11 shells and no berserk.  Then I ran into the mancubus.

Got 98/97/100 on my second run though. :)

14 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

BTW, I found that those steep stairs in Plutonia Map13 and TNT Map19 are using the same texture... Is that a tradition? Just curious.

They are indeed a thing I do quite often, hence the given name "jimmyladders". :P I try to avoid doing them now because they are a bit gimmicky, but in some instances I feel like a lift would be pointless and a shallow staircase would still confine maneuvrability. They serve as a nice functional thing imo.

Thanks for the demos! The fast one was particularly entertaining. Wow spectres and lost souls are a pain. :D I too felt there were possibly a few too many souls in some cases (the PEs definitely contribute to that on fast, geez) but I didn't really feel like thinning the soul hordes too much, as they provide a bit of miscellaneous fodder pretty much all throughout the map, due to the open layout and how much they can potentially travel through it.

---

So, I think the general consensus is that the ammo is too plentiful, so I'm gonna see if I can reduce that a bit to present more of a challenge. The map is supposed to be a "relaxing" one-off for sure, but I don't want the player to feel handheld through the whole thing by the sheer amount of supplies. As I said in the "worst part of Doom mapping for you" thread, thing balancing, as a process, can kind of go to hell. <:D

Edited by Jimmy

Kudos on the release, looks terrific!

On the ammo thing, if they were playing on UV could always leave the extra ammo around in HMP, but balancing is nutty, like you said. I myself never find shotgun shells or bullets too plentiful, in any map. I just like to have them, like pants.

@Jimmy Pain Elementals on fast is crazy, and that's why I had to hide from them. I don't know why when you talking stairs, I think making music with staircase waves and have a staircase feeling (what?) could be an interesting one ;P

Lost Souls are just my personal preference, but it's actually quite good to use in open areas like this map. That's why I said switching the placement of Plasma Rifle and Rocket Launcher could be fun because players may blast their faces off by an unexpected Lost Soul ;)  Also Plasma Rifle is a nice counter to Pain Elementals.

17 hours ago, Jimmy said:

So, I think the general consensus is that the ammo is too plentiful, so I'm gonna see if I can reduce that a bit to present more of a challenge. The map is supposed to be a "relaxing" one-off for sure, but I don't want the player to feel handheld through the whole thing by the sheer amount of supplies. As I said in the "worst part of Doom mapping for you" thread, thing balancing, as a process, can kind of go to hell. <:D

I Quite enjoyed this map.  Nicely done and a comfortable sort of relaxing feel to it.  Nice to not have to go into terror mode looking for supplies. 

It is a "one of" map,  I intend to play it many more times.  Newer players might really enjoy the UV Experience on the map, hell I know I did,  I was taking a break from some of the harder maps I have been playing lately.  It was a really nice change of pace and comfortable play, a breath of fresh air.

Nice job.