Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noobirus

Problems with SLADE - Map not opening in GZDoom

Question

Recently I started playing Doom again, and I tried to make a few maps. Saldy, I'm having serious troubles with SLADE (again!).

1. I added a custom texture and some music to the .wad file. After that, GZDoom refuses to open the .wad and shows the error message "No maps found". Nothing else has been changed. Removing the texture and/or music does not help. The .wad still works normally after launching in gzdoom. The ENDMAP marker ist still there, so I have no idea why gzdoom refuses to read it...

2. SLADE often corrupts my files - when I click the MAPINFO file to make some changes, and then the MAP01 file, the program "shuffles" the files, and renames them (MAP01 becomes MAPINFO, MAPINFO becomes MAP01) which results with an error - can someone tell me why is this happening?

.wad filehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ocjndf9EQXMnVFMTBGTlFXelE/view?usp=sharing

12 answers to this question

I think he meant GZDB.

You need to place your Sprites and all other lumps, etc. at the top of your file. You have your Map data above your sprites so Doom isn't seeing what it needs to see in the right order. When you place stuff in a .wad select everything new and use Ctrl+U to move it to the top. Then save. The new things will change color to help you keep things organized.

I can try to fix this for you, but I've never tried before.

Edit: I tried a few different things, but it didn't seem to work. I would try to load a backup if you can - before you added stuff - and try again.

Unless someone else can help.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, but your file looks a little wonky.

Keep this backup. Name it something else and try googling, "Zdoom (whatever the error message is)".

Edited by everennui

Yeah, the order must be like this:

-MAP01

-TEXTMAP

-ZNODES

-ENDMAP

- then the rest of the lumps......Also, as scifista42 said, never use Slade and GZDB at the same time...

^ Or like this:

-any lumps you want #1...

-MAP01

-TEXTMAP

-ZNODES

-ENDMAP

-any lumps you want #2...

Just don't put random lumps between MAP01 and ENDMAP.

Are you moving the DECORATE, Sprites and all other added stuff to the top of Slade?

I'll look at it real quick.

6 minutes ago, Noobirus said:

GZDoom refuses to open the .wad [...] The .wad still works normally after launching in gzdoom.

???

3 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

???

Sorry! Meant - GZDoomBuilder refuses to open the .wad [...] The .wad still works normally after launching in gzdoom.

6 minutes ago, everennui said:

Are you moving the DECORATE, Sprites and all other added stuff to the top of Slade?

I'll look at it real quick.

No, I always place the files below the markers. I added the new graphic for example below P_START.

Sadly, my experience with SLADE and GZDoomBuilder isn't that great...

Did you edit the same wad in both SLADE3 and GZDB at the same time? The only proper way to do this is by opening the wad in SLADE3 first and using SLADE3's feature "Open map in Doom Builder". Otherwise the 2 programs will overwrite each other's changes and possibly corrupt the wad.

3 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Did you edit the same wad in both SLADE3 and GZDB at the same time? The only proper way to do this is by opening the wad in SLADE3 first and using SLADE3's feature "Open map in Doom Builder". Otherwise the 2 programs will overwrite each other's changes and possibly corrupt the wad.

Crap... yeah, I had GZDB and SLADE opened at the same time. Ordering the files in the .wad does nothing, GZDB still refuses to open it...

Is there any way to save a corrupted file?

Yeah, I just managed to fix the file too. I moved all other lumps below the END marker and GZDB finally opened it.

Thanks!

I didn't know that they could be in any order. That's interesting. I'd keep it at the top or the bottom just for ease of organization. Unless there's a reason for it.

Addendum: The reason why it wasn't opening was because @Noobirus placed his MAPINFO lump in the forbidden zone. 

If the lumps of the currently edited map are at the very end of the wad (bottom of the list of lumps), the process of saving changes to the map becomes faster. Map editors typically automatically reorder lumps in the wad to invoke this.

Edited by scifista42