Find results in...
KVELLER

Do you like using texture filtering?

Do you use texture filtering?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use texture filtering?

• Yes
    • No

Linear filtering absolutely ruins the experience for me, also it makes DOOM look like shit.

I dislike any kind of texture filtering in any older game. Making the sprites look blurry and congealed doesn't make them look any newer, and I hate when any company re-releases an old game and forces texture filtering like that. It doesn't look good. Period.

Now that I think about it, I haven't played Quake I and II without texture filtering for like 13 years. Maybe if I tried again my opinion would change...

Depends of the game playing

if im playing Doom im gonna go with Off because the game was designed to look pixelated and have that style

on comparison with newer games that require this because they were designed with texture filtering in mind

It fucking hurts my eyes without it unless the source port doesn't have it.

Oh shit I accidentally think I put no how do I delete my vote

everyone seems to be complaining about how filtering makes everything blurry and look like crap. Trilinear filtering does make things even at a close distance blurry, and far distance unrecognizable.

However, I find that using anisotropic filtering on top of the trilinear filter completely takes off the edge and makes everything at any distance sharp. I also like Gzdoom's "none (trilinear)" filter which only affects walls, keeping sprites clean.

5 hours ago, Spie812 said:

everyone seems to be complaining about how filtering makes everything blurry and look like crap. Trilinear filtering does make things even at a close distance blurry, and far distance unrecognizable.

However, I find that using anisotropic filtering on top of the trilinear filter completely takes off the edge and makes everything at any distance sharp. I also like Gzdoom's "none (trilinear)" filter which only affects walls, keeping sprites clean.

Actually, that mode does affect sprites as well. Honestly I find the GZDoom filter selection to be extremely confusing. It really should be three independent settings, where "none (trilinear)" is:

Magnification filter: nearest

Minification filter: linear

Mipmap: linear

When most people complain about blurry filtering, it is mostly the magnification filter they are complaining about. The terms 'bilinear' and 'trilinear' is truly shit because neither breaks it down into the actual choices you have. I actually had to look it up in the source code to figure out what the choices actually did, then noticed "none (trilinear)" didn't exist and sent a PR for it.