First Time making a Wad. No Experience. need Help on Textures and Binding Keys to play sounds

Question

Hi, I'm using Slade3 for creating a wad that replaces all music, some sounds and all monster's textures. I also want to have a new Keybind for player's taunts. I have figured out how to replace sounds and music easily, just be importing to the wad and changing the names on SNDINFO folder.

However, importing images and replacing them doesn't work for textures. it works perfectly for Flats (wall textures), but not fire balls or monsters, etc. I have no idea how to replace them, i even just tried to edit the original monster's texture by drawing a black dot on them, but didn't notice a difference. I'm Stuck on that, so i set that task aside.

He is my sndinfo for the player taunting. bare in mind, i copied this code from other mods and changed varible names hoping in vain it would work. SNDINFO and KEYCONF are my only txt files i have.

$random TAUNT0 { TAUNT01 TAUNT02 TAUNT03 TAUNT04}
TAUNT01 TAUNT01
TAUNT02 TAUNT02
TAUNT03 TAUNT03
TAUNT04 TAUNT04

$limit TAUNT0 1

And here is my KEYCONF

addkeysection "WWE Controls" taunt1
addmenukey "Stone Cold Taunts" taunt1
alias taunt1 "puke 3001" //what the hell does puke mean? i have no idea
   defaultbind y taunt1

when i ran the game, and pressed the taunt button (Y), it said P_startscript unkown script 3001. Original my puke number was 100, but i noticed it say 3001 on the console, so i thought changing it into 3001 in Slade would fix it.

I made this post because i noticed alot infoi find is abit old from 2004.

2 answers to this question

Flats are floors and ceilings, not walls, but some ports (like ZDoom and its children) allow flats to be used on walls and textures to be used on floors and ceilings, but I wouldn't do that unless you are satisfied with your wad being only playable with that port.

Fireballs and monsters are sprites, not textures.

Puke will execute an ACS script with the number you specify. Your wad needs to have an ACS script with that number, or it won't work. I have no idea why they used the word puke for executing a script.

I'm sure somebody else will come along with a better, more detailed answer, but this is a start.

Edited by Empyre
corrected "it it won't work" to "or it won't work"
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

well i found out i needed

S_START and S_END between all my sprites and give them appropriate sizes and off-sets.

i guess i'll route around more and figure out the taunts.