Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rifle Infantry

Tom Hall's Doom concept

http://5years.doomworld.com/doombible/

This was the original design document for Doom, back in 1992, by Tom Hall.

Of course, an enormous amount had changed before release, but the Doom Bible still puts forth some interesting concepts, including:

• Multiple player characters
  • Score items and important things to pick up
  • A defined plot that's far more fleshed out than retail Doom
  • Multiple unused weapon concepts (spray rifle, probiectile, dark claw...)
  • Interesting yet unused monsters (demon troops/sergeants and possessed humans with different behavior based on uniform color, not just weapon)
  • Deflector shields and player armor color changing based on equipped weapon

Would it be possible/interesting to create a .wad featuring some or all of Tom Hall's Doom Bible elements?

2 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Doom Delta may be fun, but it tends to focus on the beta/alpha segments.

I'm talking a .wad that would totally recreate Tom Hall's Doom; complete with enemies, levels, and powerups.

That is something I've wondered about as well.  Surely with the current state of source ports its possible.  It would be really interesting to see.

10 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I'm talking a .wad that would totally recreate Tom Hall's Doom; complete with enemies, levels, and powerups.

Over the years many proyects have tried to create a Doom bible wad, and sadly most, if not all of them have never been finished.

I even heard there was a kind of curse over all Doom bible proyects. Although i didn't knew Doom delta.

The most promising one that i knew was this one https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29466&hilit=Evil+unleashed

Edited by DMPhobos : typo

I'd play the shit out of Old Testament Doom.

Doom: Genesis sounds better.

This is the part of the Doom Bible I prefer, and no one has ever been able to make it into a pwad:

Fuel 

Sandwich Hall hours:  
Room: 

Pizza Hut Hours:  
Number: 

Ja--The Deli Hours: N-R, til 10. F-S, til 11.  
Number: 373-9173 (Delivery stops 1 hour before close) 

Ni's Hours: N-R, 11 a.m. til 9:30 p.m. F-S, 11 a.m. til 10:30 p.m.  
Number: 613-3773

1 hour ago, DMPhobos said:

Over the years many proyects have tried to create a Doom bible wad, and sadly most, if not all of them have never been finished.

I even heard there was a kind of curse over all Doom bible proyects. Although i didn't knew if Doom delta.

The most promising one that i knew was this one https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29466&hilit=Evil+unleashed

Not even iD could make the DOOM bible version of DOOM. What hope do the fans have?

Recreating the Doom Bible always had some complications for some reason....

Well, there's Doom: The Tei-Tenga Incident that takes a lot from the Doom Bible. I never dug too deep into either of them, though, so I'm not entirely sure as to the what extent exactly it attempts to replicate the Doom Bible. But I do know that the rifle is a Doom Bible thing.

Now that I think about it, the rifle would've looked terribly out of place alongside all the other weaponry in the original Doom.

I almost wonder if modding Heretic would have been the way to go since you have multiple playable characters built in.

2 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I almost wonder if modding Hexen would have been the way to go since you have multiple playable characters built in.

FTFY.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I almost wonder if modding Heretic would have been the way to go since you have multiple playable characters built in.

The only way to do this would be to use ZDoom, which also supports multiple player characters. But really, creating the game outlined in the Doom Bible is more or less impossible due to the amount of resources and maps (78 maps), and I doubt it would be nearly as fun as the Doom that actually exists because the RPG and story elements would likely clash with the rest of the design. If you want something like the Doom Bible you might as well just play System Shock because it goes all-in on that sort of thing and does it a lot better than Doom ever could.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:39 AM, geo said:

Not even iD could make the DOOM bible version of DOOM. What hope do the fans have?

I take exception to that. Our community has succeeded in completing more ambitious projects than Tom Hall's version of Doom. We're just nostalgic about that because it's one of the few pieces of intangible Doom lore that never came to fruition.

16 minutes ago, Job said:

Our community has succeeded in completing more ambitious projects than Tom Hall's version of Doom.

Though I do agree with this, it kinda begs the question why Tom Hall's Doom never did get re-created.

5 hours ago, GoatLord said:

i was thinking about this, didnt Hexan incorporate basically incorporate alot of the ideas Hall originally had for Doom anyway?

i do agree with Zulk in that from what i have seen the community has taken Doom in to far more ambitious places than he originally imagined

1 hour ago, Zulk-RS said:

Though I do agree with this, it kinda begs the question why Tom Hall's Doom never did get re-created.

Maybe there's a reason his version of Doom was never made. Perhaps it's not that compelling, not that good of an concept. It might just be that simple. 

4 hours ago, Job said:

I take exception to that. Our community has succeeded in completing more ambitious projects than Tom Hall's version of Doom. We're just nostalgic about that because it's one of the few pieces of intangible Doom lore that never came to fruition.

More ambitious projects yes... the actual project... no.

11 hours ago, Job said:

Maybe there's a reason his version of Doom was never made. Perhaps it's not that compelling, not that good of an concept. It might just be that simple. 

Could be. Though I think if someone successfully recreated that version of Doom, a lot of people would play it just to see what he made. At least, I know I would.