Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

My awful music

I like it! One trick I always like to employ is make some creative use of note volume variation. Just by tweaking the volume of only a few notes in the pattern you might hear a subtle but awesome improvement!

Wish I could be more helpful, but I'm really not a musician and have a tough time critiquing music. I know the word "unfocused" came to mind while I was listening to this, but I'll be damned if I could articulate why. Maybe my mentioning it will help somehow.

Thanks for the feedback. I know about the volume variation between notes thing, I just didn't bother on that song. I've worked on it some since.

Here's something perhaps a little more focused, @Linkrulezall sent a drum track he made and I filled it in with instruments.

They both represent a good start, but there's a peculiar issue with both pieces. "Breeze" is more unfocused, but slightly more tonally centered; in contrast, "Silver Dollar Blues" is more focused, but the presence of chromatic notes makes it tonally awkward. Rhythmically speaking, particularly in regards to bass lines, there are interesting ideas being developed here, but they would benefit from being set in a specific key. I think it would be beneficial to learn more about major, minor, pentatonic and Greek scales, and perhaps later on using modes a basis for soloing off chord progressions. When there are too many dissonant or off-key notes, it can disrupt the flow and mood of a piece. 

Yes. Once again, this is the breath of fresh air we need from all of the B.S. that comes from music companies. Time and again, they have failed to create an interesting experience and have left us with more or less, a nth generation high school drama that is about a minor's prom. They suck. They squash cool genres like jazz for a more profitable, corporate decision. For these two genres to co-exist, one of them is forced to live in the shadow of the other.

Keep making free music and original compositions.