Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elderdragonbrasil

Make Doom community better and bigger

Hi, people!

I love how much time the Doom Community still doing their great job and I think would be interesting if we cativate bigger channels on Youtube to play not only old Doom/Doom2, but also, the custom wads done by the community. One channel with a excelent audience in Youtube is Kikoskia. Kikoskia has almost 50.000 subscribers and has a solid work there. He is replaying Ultimate Doom and would be really good for the community if someone like him starts to play the community wads. What do you think?

I already suggested him, but if more people ask about this, we increase our chances. :)

Providing there is mutual gain for all parties, it can work.

I think the goal is to achieve new audience for the work done here. More people watching and enjoying old Doom and customized Wads would bring more data base for us. 

I've been slowly revamping my main YouTube channel and I hope to have lots of Doom videos eventually. I'd like to stream some mods from the community and expose them to a wider audience.

What I would like to see is some sort of an alternative community with different people founded on another set of principles. Doomworld is already too established, probably won't change much, and if new users join it they will just become similar to everyone else. A new force would be cool to see, kinda like the language-specific communities.

4 minutes ago, Memfis said:

if new users join it they will just become similar to everyone else.

Wait, what?

9 minutes ago, Memfis said:

What I would like to see is some sort of an alternative community with different people founded on another set of principles. Doomworld is already too established, probably won't change much, and if new users join it they will just become similar to everyone else. A new force would be cool to see, kinda like the language-specific communities.

It'd be cool if Doomworld got an infusion of people who play deathmatch on Oda/Zan/ZDaemon/etc. (The chill people, at least.) I'd like to see the MP subforum more active than it is. 

37 minutes ago, Memfis said:

if new users join it they will just become similar to everyone else

Oh god, I joined the Borg \o/

21 minutes ago, BadLuckBurt said:

Oh god, I joined the Borg \o/

Haven't you heard? The moment you receive your first "like", marks the ending of you as a member of a sentient species. From there on, all you will do is liking what others like, hate what others hate, and over time your cerebral cortex will turn into an empty husk that is incapable of independent thought. Here's a like for you, let the hive-mind embrace you... It won't hurt... I promise... ;-)

Make the Doom community "better and bigger"?... Eh no thanks. I prefer it to be a small and mostly secret faction of people called the Doominati that gamers don't believe exist.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

What sort of principles are you thinking of that aren't compatible with Doomworld, ZDoom, or any of the other active Doom sites?

I feel like most things are pretty much welcome on DW nowadays as long as you're not a spammer, a troll, or a nazi. Doomworld has morphed over time based on the people active in it -- I don't think the community creates the people, the people create the community. The Doomworld of a decade ago was very different from the Doomworld of today, and I imagine it will change more over time.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

What I would like to see is some sort of an alternative community with different people founded on another set of principles. Doomworld is already too established, probably won't change much, and if new users join it they will just become similar to everyone else.

The amazing thing about the internet is that anyone can start their own website! *looks very hard at Memfis*

There's very little wrong with the community. The problem is that we're a bunch of old-heads reminiscing on a 20+ year old video game. 

Good thing people like pixel art. 

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

and if new users join it they will just become similar to everyone else.

I'd say it's more like people sharing the common beliefs here may feel more at home and are more likely to stay.

But it really appears that the Doomworld and ZDoom communities seem to diverge somehow, there's few people active on both sides.

5 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I don't think the community creates the people, the people create the community.

It works both ways, really. Established opinions tend to affect you to some degree, if only by giving you new information to consider.

The Doomworld hive-mind does seem to tend towards evangelising a very specific kind of release: very challenging, geometrically creative, classic-gameplay, limit-removing (or Boom compatible) megawads.  

If you came out with something the opposite of that it'd have a harder time gaining traction, that's for sure.

We'll see a boost in members after E3 hopefully. As for modding communities, Doom's huge. As for better. I don't see how a youtuber with a bunch of subscribes playing doom will make the community "better". Other than possible a possible slight user count increase.

Me? Similar to everyone else?!

*puts on sunglasses*

*puts on cig*

*sits on a bike*

*extend the finger between the pointing and ring finger*

*rides away*

Spoiler

*crashes because I accidentally choke on the cig and a raindrop flew into my eye between the sunglasses*

Nah, either other way, Doomworld is quite nice of a community. Not too much politics, the content is being managed by the community itself like 90% of the time (unlike Facebook groups where mods and admins have to police around and ban everything on sight because SOMEONE HAD TO SAY THE WORD "left"/"right"), and even if the content isn't related to Doom, it is often nice and entertaining as well.

Yeah, it could use some tweaks, but no radical changes from the ground up, nah, that would be stupid and we would end up at the same spot anyways.

If anything, I would like to encourage artistic souls and to promote creativity with people, to teach people how to think "outside the box", and sometimes, how to flip perspectives on mapping and in general, Dooming. If there was a small club/army/company/guild of people like that, we could call them the Archviles or ( brace your fuckles), Seers. They would often provide reviews in a "artistic" manner ("The color scheme of this particular segment could potentially imply that the creator was going through some really tough times during the process, and in order to combat his newly-arrived anxiety, he placed ON THE SAME FUCKING TEXTURES AS THE ROOM BEFORE. GOD, JIMMY, LIKE, WHAT THE FUCK?!"), and when creating .wads, they would also create something along the wad (or inside it), like a .txt file with a short story or a mini guide, or a nice sample of a .jpg artwork, or even, a audio message with a song or a poem. Maps would contain meta-secrets, stuff like messages only seeable by auto-map, or having 2000 trees resemble a skull or something.

Point is, the Seers would be like those annoying avant-garde artists of the 20th century, except instead of complaining about the world through cryptic poems and texts, they would complain about the world through .wads, or about themselves, or something else. Appraisals are also welcomed. General rule? More fucked up abstract and strange, the better.

Datta be all.

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

The Doomworld hive-mind does seem to tend towards evangelising a very specific kind of release: very challenging, geometrically creative, classic-gameplay, limit-removing (or Boom compatible) megawads.  

I disagree. Half the community consists of old-heads that play strictly vanilla and shit on any one who plays anything else. Just look at last year's Cacowards. AA should've scored higher than Tech Gone Bad but "oh boy vanilla + john romero = le boner xDDD" 

Edit: Apparently Cacowards aren't in any specific order. TIL. 

Edited by stru

My infection vector into Doomworld was Twitch, basically. I started mapping when Romero released Tech Gone Bad, then sometime later people were talking about NOVA3 in JohnSuitepee's stream, and I wanted to make something for that.

Even if I eventually become like everyone else here, I think this sort of cross-pollination is a good thing. 8)

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

If you came out with something the opposite of that it'd have a harder time gaining traction, that's for sure.

I had a lot more success doing precisely that over here than I ever did on Zdoom.

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Haven't you heard? The moment you receive your first "like", marks the ending of you as a member of a sentient species. From there on, all you will do is liking what others like, hate what others hate, and over time your cerebral cortex will turn into an empty husk that is incapable of independent thought. Here's a like for you, let the hive-mind embrace you... It won't hurt... I promise... ;-)

Hehe, I've seen my share of forums, I'll live ;) Came here looking for mapping info but enjoyed the vibe in some of the threads so much I decided I might as well join this madness.

Bigger community and Better community are mutually exclusive concepts though.

To be fair, I prefer to hang around a small community consisting of sensible people who aren't a bunch of assholes. Having a bigger community has a bunch of setbacks that could potentially lead to a toxic environment if not managed properly.

5 hours ago, Memfis said:

So you're saying Goatlord has become like the rest of us? There are unique thinking individuals on the forum.

2 hours ago, Breezeep said:

To be fair, I prefer to hang around a small community consisting of sensible people who aren't a bunch of assholes. Having a bigger community has a bunch of setbacks that could potentially lead to a toxic environment if not managed properly.

Going to have to agree with this sentiment.

Hopefully regular Twitch livestreams like my own (when I'm active...) will also help a few more people get into the Doom community. The more new mappers the better!