Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Can I run vanilla from cd without a hard drive?

Got an old system that only supports a hard drive up to 200mb by the looks, and I bent the pins on the drive that came with it.  Managed to un-bend them, but it's one of those drives with just bare pins e.g no protection.  Can I just boot from a floppy, run from cd, and have the doomdata dir/my sound card install info written to the floppy?

Yes, you can run Doom from a CD (there's even a special CD-loading icon!), but I have no idea how savegames end up working in such a case.

IIRC this needs to be started with the '-cdrom' command line option which stores the saves in c:\doomdata (with hardcoded path.)

I never actually used that feature, though.

Unless my memory fails me, you can change the directory where the game data is stored using the -config [pathname] switch, to avoid using the C root folder. The config file and savegames are placed in the specified directory. It's been a long time since I've used this feature though, hope my memory is correct.

The config is only half the story. You still need c:\doomdata for the savegames and that path is not configurable.

I would just make sure it works running from a cd. Then you can hexedit the exe to use a path that points to the floppy for saving.

If savegames are not needed the whole c:\doomdata can be ignored. When trying to save the game Doom will display the usual "Game saved" announcement but in reality it's not. If the savegames are needed, changing c:\doomdata -> a:\doomdata in the exe should do.

The parameter "-config a:\myconf.cfg" loads and saves the cfg file to the floppy.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:58 AM, invictius said:

Got an old system that only supports a hard drive up to 200mb by the looks, and I bent the pins on the drive that came with it.  Managed to un-bend them, but it's one of those drives with just bare pins e.g no protection.  Can I just boot from a floppy, run from cd, and have the doomdata dir/my sound card install info written to the floppy?

Once you've done that, can you also tell us if you can run nuts.wad, too? :)

On 21/06/2017 at 0:10 PM, Master O said:

Once you've done that, can you also tell us if you can run nuts.wad, too? :)

I think that was possible by the pentium 3 era, there's enough documentation about that infamous wad online to be able to tell what systems it was capabe of running on.