Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

What is the most underrated texture?

Personally, I think DOORHI and BROWNWEL are. They're both part of the only-in-Doom-1 category, which already makes them less popular, but also I've never seen either used in a custom WAD, except for an instance in one of DeimosComaBlack's 1994 WAD playthroughs.

FIREBLUUUUUUU

Fireblu is actually rated accurately. It is a joke that can be used effectively if you know what you're doing.

I thing SP_FACE1 is actually underrated, because it can be as amazing as FIREBLU, but no-one dares to use it, since it looks goofy.

FIREBLU has its uses, but you can't put it just anywhere. It appears in some of my maps, for example:

Screenshot_Doom_20150617_195255.png.0a0f557a7fb7d97551b0292cb76b8942.png

EDIT: I have made good use of SP_FACE1 as well, but I don't have a screenshot handy. I have used it for translucent window panes in Hell-themed maps, for example.

Edited by Empyre : ninja'd

FIREWALL, FIREMAG,FIRELAVA and their variations. I love these textures,but I rarely use them. 

The Ultimate Doom texture that's a wall of comically large skulls gets unfairly maligned, it's really useful.

13 minutes ago, Empyre said:

I have made good use of SP_FACE1 as well

I don't know if this qualifies as good use, but hey. And yes, that's a Wolfenstein texture for the trim

Maybe the one with small red bricks. Not SP_HOT (like in e3m5) but smaller ones. Looks really nice to me but I think many say it's cartoony.

That's a pretty cool effect. My guess is lots of 1-unit-long lines with different y offsets.

SP_FACE1 is more like overrated IMO - the underrated one is SP_FACE2, which I see used even more rarely, yet I think it both looks better and is easier to use thanks to its height being 128 as usual.

mPUYJv2.png

22 minutes ago, Empyre said:

My guess is lots of 1-unit-long lines with different y offsets.

2-units, 1 unit looked too "busy".

19 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

SP_FACE1 is more like overrated IMO - the underrated one is SP_FACE2, which I see used even more rarely, yet I think it both looks better and is easier to use thanks to its height being 128 as usual.

To be fair, it does have more limited usage. "You know what would look good here? Bloody skulls."

It does look good and can definitely be well used, but you can't deny it's a bit niche.

^
When I see this SP_FACE1 I remember Doom 2 Suburbs when I despairingly bumping wall of skulls behind the doors...

The brown water one isn't used too often.  People always seem to use water, green slime, lava, or blood.

I always like seeing it used because I rarely see it.

STEPTOP ,this is the best texture to make 3d bridges.

I prefer STEPLAD1 over STEPTOP, as the latter is quite bland, just a plain single-colored surface with horizontal stripes of other plain single colors at its top and bottom. In fact, I prefer STEPLAD1 over all other step textures. I think it's also underrated.

That very blandness is exactly what makes STEPTOP great for bridges. You can make odd-length diagonal lines in your bridges without having to worry about aligning the texture.

^ That's not a direct result of STEPTOP's blandness, just a result of the fact that STEPTOP seamlessly tiles horizontally, which is indeed a good thing for bridges etc., but seamless horizontal tiling doesn't require the texture to consist of nothing but a single uniform color shade, which is what I mean by blandness. For example, if the left and right edges of STEPLAD1 were cut out of the texture, the resulting texture would seamlessly tile horizontally as well, and yet it would remain much less bland than STEPTOP.

Edited by scifista42

I once covered my whole body in peanut butter and gave someone a brownhug.

Apparently I can't live near schools now.

ZZWOLF7 is highly underrated. I don't remember the last time I saw it used in a serious, high-production value mapset.

Heh, 1994 wads did that all the time. Or maybe they just didn't know how to create a horizon. :p

What about NOENTRY (I think that's what it's called)? Very good for making maps feel more realistic, yet is only used once in the entirety of the official Doom games. ONCE.

I felt it really made those long hallways and rooms with grate floors in Halls of the Damned feel like a restricted area, maybe even a radiation chamber.