Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

What is the most underrated texture?

The Icon of Sin segments can be cropped in really inventive ways to give you extra "computery" textures to work with.

EDIT: Just saw a shoutout to BROWNWEL. I made a map where I used it to look like a chamber.

21 hours ago, Empyre said:

FIREBLU has its uses, but you can't put it just anywhere. It appears in some of my maps, for example:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20150617_195255.png.0a0f557a7fb7d97551b0292cb76b8942.png

EDIT: I have made good use of SP_FACE1 as well, but I don't have a screenshot handy. I have used it for translucent window panes in Hell-themed maps, for example.

from looking at 50shades, yes, fireblu is an ugly texture, but with the right contrast, it can turn out very striking.

I wouldn't call it underrated since it does get some use, but I always loved brownhug because of it's name. Such a friendly texture, it just wants to give you a hug.

I also like the small red brick texture Memfis mentioned. I can recall a few places I've used it in maps, works well in city/town maps.

What Trace said about the brown water not getting used a lot is accurate, at lest for me anyway - I often replace the grosser looking variant with a spinning fan or nukage under a grate or something just because it looks like de poopoo

The problem with the brown water is that like half of the textures in the Doom 2 texture set are exactly that shade of brown, so the water doesn't contrast at all or pop out the way liquids flats should.

1.5 pages and no mention of SKINTEK yet? I'm gonna go eat an insect.

8 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

What about NOENTRY (I think that's what it's called)? Very good for making maps feel more realistic, yet is only used once in the entirety of the official Doom games. ONCE.

You speak of GRAYDANG, used in E2M6. I like this texture variant as well. You don't see SKINTEK# or SKULWAL# textures used too often either. What about SP_DUDE6 with the hanging Baron?

That and GRAYDANG doesn't exist in Doom 2, sadly.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:50 PM, Gifty said:

The Ultimate Doom texture that's a wall of comically large skulls gets unfairly maligned, it's really useful.

Your avatar is underrated and someone should make it a texture.

We all know Doortrak is underrated. I've never heard anyone say "man that doortrak texture is awesome" yet I'll always hear someone complain when there's no door track texture. No doortrak? -1,000 out of 10.

GRAYTALL is the greatest texture ever and if you disagree with me then fuck you i completely respect and understand your opinion

also AASHITTY, it's very useful for illusio-pits

22 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I can't believe you guys failed to mention BROWNWEL.

I already did.

Ooh! How about ALL of the LITE* textures that were omitted from Doom II? They all look incredible, so futuristic. My favourite is LITE4 l, although, you can fake that one by aligning EXITDOOR in a certain way.

Almost all patches of Doom1-specific wall light textures (specifically, all of them except FLAMP, the wall lamp with round corners) are still present in the Doom 2 IWAD, so you only need to include a custom TEXTURE1 lump to redefine them and make them usable in a PWAD, no need to reinclude any graphics.

All the Heretic textures. People tend to judge them from a quantitative ("there's not even a hundred of them") rather than a qualitative one.

3 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

Ooh! How about ALL of the LITE* textures that were omitted from Doom II? They all look incredible, so futuristic. My favourite is LITE4 l, although, you can fake that one by aligning EXITDOOR in a certain way.

I frequently make use of the "Doom 1 textures for Doom 2" texture resource because of those lights, along with the extra computer textures.

^ How is that one underrated? It's very common in (not only) techbase style maps, which themselves are very common. (I know that "underrated" doesn't equal "underused", but my point is that I don't see any clue to the flat being underrated.)

Edited by scifista42

REDWALL.

I love using it for wall runes/symbols, plus it just looks cool. You don't know what it is, but it's red and looks glow-y.

^ REDWALL, the desaturated one present in both IWADs, or REDWALL1, the saturated one present in D1-only?

Oh, REDWALL1! That's the one!

Whoops.

The two best textures in Final Doom:

Plutonia's A-VINES

QE8RzZA.png

Evilution's DOGRID

AhsagD2.png

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

REDWALL, the desaturated one present in both IWADs

... is sure a somewhat unused texture, too, but I guess I can understand why.

Spoiler

The process it is made is funny enough. They made the STONE texture from a couple of different tiny patches, then after it was made, they removed the bars, took a shot, cropped the left 128x128 px, colored it lightly purplish-red, and made it a single-image patch for REDWALL.

Spoiler

And I think the flat FLAT5_3 is made by shrinking that image and making it look a bit "flatter".

Spoiler

Then they versa-remapped it to gray so FLAT5_4 was born.

I agree with Kapanyo, though, REDWALL1 is a cool material. It makes my blood boil that they dropped it from DooM2.