Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Very Specific Problem with Self-Referencing Sector

Question

Hi all,

I'm working on my first map ( this is for Recycled CP), and I've bumped into a small issue. I'm sure that someone here can straighten me out...

I have a crate stack. I want the player to be able to "fall into" one of the crates to find a rocket launcher secret. Before the player falls into the crate, everything is perfect. It looks like a normal crate, with no RL sitting out where he can see it.

Before:

Screenshot_Doom_20170609_132939.png.38b291facd655cdc458fbe0b4abedd1f.png

After falling in, however, no textures are visible inside the box, and when the player comes back out, the flat is all messed up.

After:

Screenshot_Doom_20170609_133015.png.3ca24c57b2577545b74c26001fd7a2b3.png

Any idea to fix this? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

Try lowering that sector in your editor.

Then you should see the "lack of textures" texture, replace it with your preferred one.

Then raise it back to the intended height.

I guess this should be enough :3

@Battle_Kirby, it doesn't work that way in my editor... For one, I can't raise or lower it in visual mode (it's as if visual mode doesn't recognize self-referencing sectors). For another, the standard editing mode shows the space as void (unless I assign the sidedefs "correctly," of course, but then the player can see that the top of the box is open. I was hoping to avoid that).

@42PercentHealth, I guess, if nothing turns up and helps you...

Double up those crates and make a simple collapsible crate!

But still, this question is unanswered, so someone might suggest a better solution.

If else fails, you can make the crate lower it's "floor" when you stand on it for a brief moment, and warp the item in via boom-scroller. Might be a bit "makeshift", but it fulfills the criteria of being invisible until you found it.

That would do it. It would even get around the immersion-breaking question, "Why is the top of the crate still intact after we fell in?"

Thanks -- it's worth considering!

5 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

That would do it. It would even get around the immersion-breaking question, "Why is the top of the crate still intact after we fell in?"

You could make this effect feel pretty real, if you step on the crate, the floor lowers, then the RL warps in, you get the secret accounted for and then one or two of the "walls" lower and leave what looks like the top of the crate nearby...

Recycled CP is Boom-compatible, so you should definitely prefer using Boom's height transfer specials over vanilla-style self-referencing sectors.

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You could make this effect feel pretty real

Sounds good, but...

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

if you step on the crate, the floor lowers, then the RL warps in, you get the secret accounted for and then one or two of the "walls" lower and leave what looks like the top of the crate nearby...

I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind here... Boomy scriptiness? That seems like a lot for a "first map ever." On the other hand, gotta start somewhere...

1 minute ago, scifista42 said:

Recycled CP is Boom-compatible, so you should definitely prefer using Boom's height transfer specials over vanilla-style self-referencing sectors.

Where can I learn about these?

7 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind here... Boomy scriptiness? That seems like a lot for a "first map ever." On the other hand, gotta start somewhere..

I'll make you a demo map real quick so you can learn about that on a small scale...

If you decide to use transfer heights, you need to make sure that it is never possible to see both below and above the fake floor at the same time, or it will break.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the intended end look, would an internal sector with no lower textures assigned and all given the same linedef action to W1 lower the outer walls to highest adjacent sector suffice? You can use a generalised floor linedef to increase the speed of it lowering if you like.

@Nine Inch Heels, Thanks, I'll take a look later on. (Confession: I still haven't looked at the last file you gave me -- but I will!)

@traversd, I think I get what you're saying. Not sure if I'd be able to hide a RL inside, but I can give it a try, just for my own education's sake. (I'll probably still end up going with NIH's answer, 'cuz Boom is permitted in this context.)

Thanks, all!