Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stonedbaroness

What is the point of GZDoom in doom 2 format?

Question

I just took a quick glance at it and its by far my favorite, just like boom but with even more options, however it isn't too much if you know what I mean? like UDMF has all these cool things and i get carried away too easily experimenting meanwhile this format nearly has everything i love like 3d floors but feels like vanilla doom 2 editing, its the perfect cross for me. Though, I must ask, what is the point of it? i mean if its not vanilla why bother even limiting yourself? and is it compatible with ACS?

8 answers to this question

There are three basic map formats that GZDoom supports: Doom, Hexen and UDMF.  Each was designed to be a replacement for the previous one (more or less), but it doesn't make the older ones are so obsolete that they shouldn't even be listed in GZDB.  They're still valid map formats.

Also, GZDoom in Doom format has at least one specific benefit as far as I'm aware: I believe it's possible to make a single map that utilizes some GZDoom special effects when run through GZDoom, but also works when run through a basic limit-removing port like Crispy (just without the special effects).

You can also use DECORATE and other ZDoom features with Doom format maps, so if you want to have custom monsters and custom weapons and all that stuff without having to punch in six different parameters every time you want to make a door, Doom format is very useful.

"I love this thing, it's perfect for my needs!" > "IT IS POINTLESS WHY DOES IT EXIST?"

You seem confused. :P

If it works for you, then use it. My guess is it's more a legacy format from back when. To wit: once upon a time in ZDoom, the only map editors that could do Hexen-in-Doom format were WadAuthor and DeepSea - if I recall correctly - so ZDoom had something of a hybrid format to cater for those who used 'lesser' editors. Might be hard to imagine now we're spoiled with GZDoom Builder, but yeah.

ZDoom(Doom) has basically been unmaintained for more than a decade. The only thing it saw being added afterward is the customizability of the linedef translation tables. Essentially it's just Boom+Legacy+a handful of ZDoom specific linedef types.

TIL that ZDoom translucency actions override the Boom one. Since they all can be applied via tag, there's no conflict here. Meaning: I found a convenient way to specify fallback effects for whatever unsupported crap I'm into.

Supported crap like additive beams of light would normally break in ZDoom as well. I think there's supposed to be code to detect an additive translucency table, but it never worked with mine for whatever reason.

So I guess here's another (rather obscure) reason to have some ZDoom features available in Doom format.

3 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

You can also use DECORATE and other ZDoom features with Doom format maps, so if you want to have custom monsters and custom weapons and all that stuff without having to punch in six different parameters every time you want to make a door, Doom format is very useful.

Apropos of that, SLADE 3 now has a nifty "preset" feature, available in the ZDoom Hexen/UDMF configs.

nlkUDvv.png

RrUfp00.png

How does it work? Simple. The list of preset was generated through cross-referencing ZDoom's xlat files with SLADE's own game configuration files. So you get a list of preset actions corresponding to all the line types you get in Doom format. When you choose one, it automatically sets the special, parameters, and trigger and activation flags.