Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

What's your opinion about the Doom games?

UDoom -- da bomb, for the 1337 real men

Doom 2 -- for the sissies who can't stand UDoom's uncontainable awesomeness

...what do you mean "there are other Doom games"?

1 hour ago, ImpMan11203 said:

Is it me? Or does it seem like the demons in DOOM 4 seem slower, and not as intelligent looking as the ones in DOOM 1/2? The gameplay doesnt seem as fast as the originals. Still like DOOM 4 though

You can praise anything you want about the original Doom enemies, but don't tell me that they were smart. Their AI just tells them to go in a straight line towards the player.

2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

You can praise anything you want about the original Doom enemies, but don't tell me that they were smart. Their AI just tells them to go in a straight line towards the player.

where did I say that they are smarter?

I said that they are smarter looking that the ones in DOOM 4. DOOM 4s AI is obviously smarter because it's a new game.

My thoughts on each game in a nutshell:

(Ultimate) Doom: Fucking awesome.

Doom 2: Fucking awesome.

Final Doom: Fun enough for the most part.

Doom 64: Mostly awesome.

Doom 3: Eh.

Doom 3: RoE: Less "eh" than its base game.

DOOM '16: Fucking awesome.

Doom RPG: Different, but surprisingly fun.

Doom RPG 2: A decent enough follow-up.

doom: AW HELL YEEEEAH

doom 2: AW HELL YEEEEAH except for the maps, doom 1 has better maps imo

final doom: it's alright

doom 64: it's alright

doom 3: decent horror game, but not a doom game

doom 2016: pretty coolio

2 hours ago, ImpMan11203 said:

where did I say that they are smarter?

I said that they are smarter looking that the ones in DOOM 4. DOOM 4s AI is obviously smarter because it's a new game.

Oh, I get it now. Sorry about that.

I'm not a native speaker so I fuck up from time to time :P

(Ultimate) Doom: Amazing game, favorite FPS.

Doom II: Also amazing, slightly less good when it comes to music, whatever.

Final Doom: Ok. Music is alright.

Doom 64: Good spin-off, I'd like to see a Doom 4-ish version of this game.

Doom 3: Haven't played it yet, I've seen mods that make it more like the classic games... so it isn't that bad guys.

Doom 4: Also haven't played it yet, looks pretty cool, maybe a bit Halo-ish, but Marathon wouldn't of existed without Doom, so without Marathon, no Halo. I guess Doom has a right to be similar to Halo.

2 hours ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Doom 4: Also haven't played it yet, looks pretty cool, maybe a bit Halo-ish, but Marathon wouldn't of existed without Doom, so without Marathon, no Halo. I guess Doom has a right to be similar to Halo.

Indeed. It's like when people say that Doom 4's helmet looks Halo-ish. No, it looks like the one from the classic Doom.

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Indeed. It's like when people say that Doom 4's helmet looks Halo-ish. No, it looks like the one from the classic Doom.

Agreed, I hate it when people say that Doomguy (DOOM/DOOM II) is a copy of Master Chief or whatever. Doom was released way before Halo was a thought.

17 hours ago, ImpMan11203 said:

Agreed, I hate it when people say that Doomguy (DOOM/DOOM II) is a copy of Master Chief or whatever. Doom was released way before Halo was a thought.

I'm sorry, but I think it's a valid comparison when people compare the Doom marine from Doom 4 to Master Chief. I think it's pretty obvious that his design drew inspiration from Master Chief.

Classic Doom marine however, I'll that he has very little in common with Master Chief besides the helmet.

Ultimate Doom: the best doom.

Doom 2: a pretty awesome doom.

Doom 3: great game, but not a doom game.

Haven't played Final Doom, Doom 64, or Doom 2016.

3 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Classic Doom marine however, I'll that he has very little in common with Master Chief besides the helmet.

No way looks just like him blue and shoots

12 hours ago, Voros said:

FD? Don't you mean TNT ;)

No, I meant FD, damn you.

They all suck.

Spoiler

1. Doom 2: It's the sequel to the original..... but with more stuff.

2. Doom 2016: It's like the original..... but modern.

3. Doom: It's the original.

4. Doom 3: It's a scary version of the original... but with more monster closets.

Never played Doom 64 so I can't judge.

Just now, Trycon said:

They all suck.

Hide contents

1. Doom 2: It's the sequel to the original..... but with more stuff.

2. Doom 2016: It's like the original..... but modern.

3. Doom: It's the original.

4. Doom 3: It's a scary version of the original... but with more monster closets.

Never played Doom 64 so I can't judge.

LOL you're basically saying that different games from the same series are similar. I wouldn't expect anything else :P

Looks like ALL Doom games are similar to each other :D

I didn't knew that...

1) Doom2. I like the maps and the new enemies/SSG (which makes deathmatch a lot more fun in my opinion)

2) Doom1. E2 and E3 are actually mostly meh in the level design department imo, but E1 just left such an eternal impression on me as a kid. The music is also better than Doom2 for the most part, fwiw.

3) Doom64. I've actually played it less than the Final Dooms but it's just so much more unique and interesting by comparison. Feels like a proper sequel rather than just a big expansion.

3) Plutonia and TNT are probably tied here. They're great megawads and TNT has some excellent MIDIs, but at the end of the day Doom2 still feels like a better campaign than either of these.

4) Doom4. I felt like the modern reboot of Doom struck the perfect balance between the old and the new to have a wide cross-appeal to old fans and newcomers alike. Fun single player campaign, crap multiplayer that feels nothing like the old Dooms. Replayability seems immensely lower than the older titles, I'll peg this to the forced-arena combat VS the "go anywhere at any time" nature of the older games. Still, great game by modern FPS standards.

5) Doom3. Being last place on a list of the Doom games means "least face-meltingly amazing". This is actually a really good game that excels in the atmosphere department. Felt more like ID doing something brand new while putting lots of nods to Doom around rather than being an actual Doom game. Still totally worth playing.

Doom 1/2/Master Levels/Final - In my mind, all of the aforementioned games are all just Doom. I like Doom 2 the most, but to me, it was never really a sequel so much as it was a stand alone expansion. I regard 'Doom' (encompassing all the id Tech 1 games as a whole) as the greatest first person shooter ever made. Near flawlessly designed, and infinitely replayabe with mods. The only video game I like more than Doom is Final Fantasy 6.

Doom 64 - Probably my favourite game on the N64, although my only experience playing it is with the PC iterations. Worthy of its own namesake. One of the most hauntingly atmospheric games ever made. Not too far off from the original. A masterpiece. 

Doom 3 - Possibly the most average first person shooter I've ever played. Don't like it. Don't hate it. Whatever.

Doom 2016 - Haven't played it. My computer doesn't have enough juice. Looks pretty fun, but in no way life changing. Soundtrack isn't my cup of tea, however. 

Doom RPGs - Would love to play 'em. They should definitely get an updated PC release. 

64> 1 > 3 > 3 Roe > 2/Final > '16

1: The classic.

2: Same as the 1st, just with more monsters, and with super shotgun. Super shotgun ruins the balance between weapons and this has the lamest boss ever. I only use this for custom wads.

Final Doom: I never finished it, because I'm lazy to start again. (When I was a beginner, I died on Level 4 in Plutonia, and completely lost on Level 8 in TNT)

64: Completely different from Doom 2. New levels, textures, mechanics, boss, weapon. Best version.

3: Different direction, but not a bad game.

3 RoE: I haven't finished it yet, because I always die on Erebus Labs. (where the bridge vanishes and returns)

2016: No, not this. I don't understand how they could call it classic. Glory kills, upgrades (ok, upgrades are not really bad, except if they made the weapon owerpowered...), you can't escape from locked rooms, etc. Oh, and if I'm mentioned the glory kills, technically you couldn't die, because this game gives health/ammo from killing enemies...

Edited by Spectra

I'm going to be a bit contrary, but in order of the most fun I had, my genuine order is:

Doom 1 Episode 1 > Doom 2 > Doom 1 Episodes 2-3 > Doom 2016 > Doom 3 > Doom 1 Episode 4 > Final Doom > (D64, never properly played it)

I just didn't like Thy Flesh Consumed or either Final Doom megawad. :(

Doom 3 > Ultimate Doom > Plutonia > Doom 2 > TNT > Doom 2016 > Doom 64

I love all the Doom games. The whole series is fantastic and near perfect from start to finish in my opinion. A few hiccups in Doom 2 and TNT perhaps, but they are confined to only a few maps and aren't detrimental overall. Doom 2 especially has grown on me a lot over the past year.

Just now, lucas novaes said:

doom 2016 can't render 500 monsters at the same time.

I'm sure the original Doom engine couldn't either. It had a limit for sprites on screen (64 I think).

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I'm sure the original Doom engine couldn't either. It had a limit for sprites on screen (64 I think).

Doom will not draw more than 128 sprites at one time. If you have too many, the extra ones will flicker in and out of view, depending on the sorting order.

Source: Doom Wiki.

7 hours ago, lucas novaes said:

doom 2016 can't render 500 monsters at the same time.

doom 2016 can't melt steel beams.