Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Just now, Edward850 said:

@GoatLord I'm not sure why you liked a post specifically insulting you.

Because it was funny, who cares if it's insulting to me?

32 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

It feels more to me like one group of fascists is mad that the other groups of fascists don't align with their fascism, while calling themselves anti-fascists. It's a big dumb joke that the participants aren't even aware they're a part of. It's created all this ridiculous psychic energy around buzzwords like fascism, communism, left wring, right wing, capitalism, etc. It makes it difficult to discuss because people frequently feel the need to choose a side, which is like trying to decide whether cat shit tastes better than dog shit, and people like myself who think it all sucks are seen as part of the problem.

If you don’t understand the necessity of “choosing a side” against Nazis, it sounds like you’ve already chosen your side.

Hey, funny is funny. And it's not like I'm particularly attached to the words I say. Belief and conviction are overrated. But I don't consider myself someone who is trying to take the moral high ground, I just think the reductionist, binary dualism of us/them is limiting.

Also, @esselfortium, I have Jewish blood in my family, so I'm not exactly interested in supporting Nazism. I'm someone who believes it is a poisonous ideology that can be temporarily thwarted through extreme violence, but will rise again later on. Which is exactly what is happening, because we pretended that WW2 was the end of the Nazi regime. Ideas cannot be eliminated through mere violent force. It requires dismantling on a psychological and linguistic level which very few people engage in.

Just now, GoatLord said:

Hey, funny is funny. And it's not like I'm particularly attached to the words I say. Belief and conviction are overrated. But I don't consider myself someone who is trying to take the moral high ground, I just think the reductionist, binary dualism of us/them is limiting.

When one side is Nazis, it's not very hard.

Personally, I think that if we dig deep enough, we can find better ways to deal with neo-Nazism than letting a bunch of black-clad college kids run around destroying property and claiming anyone who doesn't agree with them is a fascist. It's very silly and I don't think it's going to make the Nazi problem go away.

The communists promised paradise on Earth and justice for the proletariat. All we have to do is get rid of those pesky kulaks and confiscate their property. They don't agree? Don't like it? Well just shoot them or send them to Siberia. My grandparents sure liked having their property confiscated and thrown into the streets! Sure it sounds horrible but it's all for the greater good! That turned out great dinnit? Antifa are making similar promises and they are not fooling me.

Also, it's very amusing seeing spoiled college people from rich, western countries, who have never contributed anything useful to society yet and have never had to deal with communism advocate it. Those people have a mighty good life and they want to tear it down.

These young kids, whether they support communism or not, are unaware of the pattern that repeats throughout history: A government is set up, it turns to shit, the proletariats revolt, their leaders promise a better regime when they take over, then they take over and fuck it up all over again, leading to another revolt. There is this blind allegiance to antifa that some folks have, as though they're somehow going to make the Nazis go away, and improve the way the country is run. This is just a pipe dream.

You're having to conflate a lot of groups that aren't actually the same in order to create a boogieman that's supposedly as bad as Nazism, and it's still not really working...

edit in response to an edit:

4 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

The communists promised paradise on Earth and justice for the proletariat. All we have to do is get rid of those pesky kulaks and confiscate their property. They don't agree? Don't like it? Well just shoot them or send them to Siberia. My grandparents sure liked having their property confiscated and thrown into the streets! Sure it sounds horrible but it's all for the greater good! That turned out great dinnit? Antifa are making similar promises and they are not fooling me.

I think what you're arguing against here is totalitarianism.

Just now, Linguica said:

what does this have to do with wolfenstein 2: the new colossus

That's the tangential nature of conversation, is it not?

And @esselfortium, I personally don't believe antifa is nearly as problematic as Nazism, I just don't think they're organized or mature enough to stamp it out.

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

That's the tangential nature of conversation, is it not?

So you're saying this thread has been derailed and is now off on some tangent? I agree