Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

What's your least favorite health pickup?

I'd say the beserk pack. Its a great 100% health boost, sure, and the beserk effect is great but it cant put you above 100%, so when I'm on max health and I see it, I typically am reclutant to pick it up since I dont need the health, and while the effect is great now, the health could be a lifesaver after.

I typically treat Berserk Packs as 'full health' when I don't care for the Berserk bonus, so they're valuable to remember where you last saw one when you're in trouble.

12 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Dog food in Wolfenstein 3D. Fucking ew, dude.

Should've been dog treats instead, some of those are pretty good.

...what?

12 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Dog food in Wolfenstein 3D. Fucking ew, dude.

Yo, annelid healing gland. Doomguy may savagely rip & tear the demons, but at least he doesn't eat them.

22 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Should've been dog treats instead, some of those are pretty good.

Y'see, you joke here but as a young boy I used to think some of our dog's biscuits looked kinda nice. They were.

...what? :P

13 hours ago, Memfis said:

Probably berserk because of that highly annoying red tint that takes forever to wear off. Even when I really need some health I will think for a bit before picking it up.

Yeah when I was a kid I used to actively avoid berserk packs because I didn't like the red tint. I recall one in Virgil that was tricky because there were items behind it I wanted and had to carefully sneak past it.

13 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

I'd rank being able to drink blood pools when low on health as more disgusting than dog food. It even uses the hitler death slupring sound when you do it.

ewwwww, I'm never playing Wolfenstein again

Medikit obviously. It restores too much health and makes you dependent. Plus, idiot mappers always place them in the path of progress, forcing you to pick them up and waste their bounty. Plebeian fucking medikits.

Stimpacks are top shelf health pickups.

14 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

berserk pack when I need uptime with guns

I know how that is. It would go something like this: I'm running around fighting cybderdemons, kind of sad that I'm stuck with this totally overrated and not at all useful BFG9000, when I could be using a shotgun or something. Anyway, I'm just about to fire off the shot that would finish him off, pick up the majestic blue key, and get out of the level...when suddenly the screen turns red and I'm using fists. Then the screen turns bright red as I get a rocket in the ear.

GAME OVER

Soulspheres , I'm always frustrated when I take a soulsphere while I have very low health because I could reach 200% of health with this powerup but only if I'm full health. I prefer berserk when my health is low , I don't have the feeling of wasting a powerup and I can gib some imp and zombiemen.

Mystic urn from Heretic and Hexen. I never have it selected in my inventory, so in order to use it, I have to 1) survive an ordeal, 2) have less than 10 HP, 3) have no crystal vials laying around and 4) bother to bumble through my inventory and decide to use it 'cuz I'm full on them, rather than just use 3 or 4 quartz flasks which I'm also full on. Rarely ever happens.

In Doom, it would be all the berserk powerups after the first one. I like punchy maps (for the most part), but I don't like to be forced to change to my fist mid-fight just because I wanted some health.

EDIT: The Hexen 2 source port Hammer of Thyrion allows you to map inventory items to keys -- wouldn't it be awesome if GZDoom could do the same? Am I alone here?

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Mystic urn from Heretic and Hexen. I never have it selected in my inventory, so in order to use it, I have to 1) survive an ordeal, 2) have less than 10 HP, 3) have no crystal vials laying around and 4) bother to bumble through my inventory and decide to use it 'cuz I'm full on them, rather than just use 3 or 4 quartz flasks which I'm also full on. Rarely ever happens.

This is probably why it was changed in Hexen 2 so it gives more than the max amount, though even then I don't use them often. Mostly because the more mystic urns you use and the higher your health becomes, the faster it ticks down to the normal max.

23 minutes ago, Ichor said:

I know how that is. It would go something like this: I'm running around fighting cybderdemons, kind of sad that I'm stuck with this totally overrated and not at all useful BFG9000, when I could be using a shotgun or something. Anyway, I'm just about to fire off the shot that would finish him off, pick up the majestic blue key, and get out of the level...when suddenly the screen turns red and I'm using fists. Then the screen turns bright red as I get a rocket in the ear.

Even if you don't get killed it's annoying... Your fists come up, you switch beack to BFG and wait for it to be ready. While you're "waiting", you zealously spam-click to get the next shot out as early as possible. gross...

Forced medikit pickups when I lack only a few hp. There was another thread about wasting items, something i dislike. Let the player decide when he needs to pick something up. Except of course those pickups that trigger ambushes of course. Bonuses are usually not something to bother with, and megaspheres necessary only in difficult maps. I liked when picking up a single bonus triggered a massive fight, iirc that was in sunlust,  that's for being greedy. 

1 hour ago, Ichor said:

This is probably why it was changed in Hexen 2 so it gives more than the max amount, though even then I don't use them often. Mostly because the more mystic urns you use and the higher your health becomes, the faster it ticks down to the normal max.

I thought that was just borrowed from Quake... Never did really like that -- why can't I keep my 158 hit points?? :-P

6 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

On the other hand, Square should have diabetes by now from eating and drinking all those cakes and sodas.

he used to be a beautiful, skinny rectangle, but now he's a fat, short square.

2 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

he used to be a beautiful, skinny rectangle, but now he's a fat, short square.

And soon it will be drooping, depressed rhombus.

Just now, Ichor said:

And soon it will be drooping, depressed rhombus.

And then back to a rectangle again. Only this time, horizontal.

@Ichor This is completely off topic but It's been bugging me ever since the Reputation thing was added to Doomworld. What did you do to get negative 794?

1 minute ago, Zulk-RS said:

@Ichor This is completely off topic but It's been bugging me ever since the Reputation thing was added to Doomworld. What did you do to get negative 794?

nobody likes him /s

Anything that requires me to pick up the health pack to continue on with the level. i.e. traps that trigger upon picking up the megasphere.

Most of the time I don't want to pick it up right away and instead, save the megasphere for when I'm at <50% health and no armour. Chances are I'm already prepared for the trap. 

8 minutes ago, Zulk-RS said:

I picked up Frank the health bottle one too many times.

22 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Those trapped health pills in Serious Sam games... the little bastards.

i will always hate whoever on Croteam thought it'd be a fun idea to put a health pill in that level in First Encounter, where picking it up immediately summoned a Major Bio-Mechanoid in your face. in fact, a lot of the more nasty traps in those first two games usually consists of trapping you in an enclosed area with Major Mechas in your face.

4 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The Hexen 2 source port Hammer of Thyrion allows you to map inventory items to keys -- wouldn't it be awesome if GZDoom could do the same? Am I alone here?

IIRC, even vanilla H2 allows you to do that.

ZDoom also allowed that since forever, but only through the config/console.

4 hours ago, Ichor said:

Mostly because the more mystic urns you use and the higher your health becomes, the faster it ticks down to the normal max.

Probably inherited that bug/feature from Quake. Which is why I really don't like the megahealth there - or, more precisely, having the opportunity to pick up another one while the first one is still ticking.

2 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

IIRC, even vanilla H2 allows you to do that.

ZDoom also allowed that since forever, but only through the config/console.

Hmmm... I don't remember whether vanilla H2 had that feature, but I do remember being happy to find it in the source port.

So, how does one go about submitting a feature request for GZDoom?

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

So, how does one go about submitting a feature request for GZDoom?

Tweak Graf Zahl's beak, and see what happens ;-)