Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

What's your least favorite health pickup?

Pools of blood in Wolf3D. You can only eat them if you're near death, and they give you like 1% health.

21 minutes ago, Impie said:

Pools of blood in Wolf3D. You can only eat them if you're near death, and they give you like 1% health.

And you only get to heal up to 11% with them. Should've been 20%.

E: I also hate the burning health effect in Quake 1, 2 and Hexen II, it's just a multiplayer oriented thing that somehow was acceptable in single player. Imagine if the supercharge or megasphere in Doom games burned off back to base values over time, out of combat!

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

The fuck, pools of blood as health pickups? I've never heard of this...

Yeah it's a really obscure Wolf3D feature. I think it's the same for pools of water, too.

On a similar note, I think you can heal up in Blood by clicking on blood and plasma bags. Or maybe that was only in the expansions.

21 minutes ago, Impie said:

Yeah it's a really obscure Wolf3D feature. I think it's the same for pools of water, too.

In the original Wolf3D and SOD, water doesn't heal. Only decorations with blood or pure blood can heal, such as bone pieces with blood. However, many other MODs think this is a cool idea but not "realistic enough", they sometimes make water can heal too, sometimes up to 30% or such.

The Shogo +100 health pickup.

Okay, when you're on foot, going from 100 health to 200 is nice, no denying that.

When you're piloting a giant robot, going from 1000 health to 1100 is... Meh at best.

5 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

In the original Wolf3D and SOD, water doesn't heal. Only decorations with blood or pure blood can heal, such as bone pieces with blood. However, many other MODs think this is a cool idea but not "realistic enough", they sometimes make water can heal too, sometimes up to 30% or such.

Maybe I'm thinking of Blake Stone then. I was sure one of the commercial Wolf3D engine games let you drink puddles of water.

The health pickup I dislike the most across all the games I've played is the Mega Health from Quake 1.

The reason is simply because when I get health over 100, my health starts to drop by one each second, and will end up at 100.

I always thought that the Mega Health was useless, especially when I was a kid. I prefer slow, relaxed gameplay, when I explore each area of a map and pick up every available item and not to go through a map in a rush, so I really often lose the health easily by wearing off itself, rather than getting actually hurt by monsters. So I always picked up Mega Health only when I was at very low health in order to restore it to 100.

17 hours ago, Impie said:

Maybe I'm thinking of Blake Stone then. I was sure one of the commercial Wolf3D engine games let you drink puddles of water.

You're thinking of the water bowls. That game has a lot of different health items for some reason.

On 14. 6. 2017 at 7:46 AM, Impie said:

Or Rise of the Triad, which had water basins.

22 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Or Rise of the Triad, which had water basins.

Speaking of ROTT, I seem to remember that you can shoot some of the food (monk meal for one) to "cook" it and it would give a bigger boost. On the opposite side, if you shoot the food in Gauntlet, the only boost it would provide is in tempers from the other players as the food vaporizes. Just imagine if you have 7% health left, and the two medikits nearby get destroyed because of an errant super shotgun blast.

13 hours ago, Ichor said:

Speaking of ROTT, I seem to remember that you can shoot some of the food (monk meal for one) to "cook" it and it would give a bigger boost. On the opposite side, if you shoot the food in Gauntlet, the only boost it would provide is in tempers from the other players as the food vaporizes. Just imagine if you have 7% health left, and the two medikits nearby get destroyed because of an errant super shotgun blast.

I loved that feature. I shoot my food all the time (also in real life).

"killing time"
The red spheres if you consider that a health pick up.(a rare drop from enemies)
It deals 25 hp i think.

Drinking from a water sink 50 times in Duke.. Or god forbid breaking a toilet and slurping the sweet water one health at a time.

My least favorite health pickup is DEFINITELY health bonuses. I feel like they're really not that helpful in the long run and if you're trying to do a complete 100% playthrough, they just become a nuisance if anything.

Health bonuses that are next to a Soulsphere/Megasphere while you are at 100% HP.

Outside of Doom, the worst I can think of are the water sinks/toilets on Duke 3D (although they are unique, healing yourself to full health with them is tedious. In those instances I prefer to use a portable Medkit).

On 6/13/2017 at 0:37 PM, Nevander said:

Those trapped health pills in Serious Sam games... the little bastards.

At first I hated them, because they always sprung almost-undefeatable hordes. But then I realized they were a gimmick, deliberately placed there for players who wanted to go hog-wild. In other words, the reward was not in the +1 health they gave, but in the additional fights they afforded.