I'm no musical critic, so I don't have anything useful to say. Listened to these for 3-4 times already. The accent in the second track betrays the source, but not the exact one - where are those voice clips from?

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I'm no musical critic, so I don't have anything useful to say. Listened to these for 3-4 times already. The accent in the second track betrays the source, but not the exact one - where are those voice clips from?

It's Arnold Schwarzenegger from "Kindergarten Cop." 

Share this post


Link to post

I should've known.

 

I'll still think twice before watching that one.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm enjoying these. (And not for the reason you might think, either.)

 

Zero Latency Killing Spree is especially my jam.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

More on the way :)

 

Should be releasing a new one real soon.

Share this post


Link to post

"U.A.C. Training Simulator"

Just released!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Another Doom 2 tribute!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

E1M1 COVER! Finally.

Went for a hard rock/speed metal thing here more than the thrashy foundation of Bobby's (Metallica's) riff.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Love the "false start" (main riff, - sike - back to E chuggs). Love the progressive build up. Love the trills starting right before 00:34.

I gotta say: After that buildup, I was ready for the bottom to fall out and my face to get fried off with a barrage of wicked 32ths @ 00:45. Regardless, some very solid riffs follow.

Nice transition @ 01.41, and nice (dis)harmonies @ 01:50. Interesting end sequence. A solid piece, very cool!

 

Only had time for this one atm. I'll check out the others as time permits.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, kb1 said:

Love the "false start" (main riff, - sike - back to E chuggs). Love the progressive build up. Love the trills starting right before 00:34.

I gotta say: After that buildup, I was ready for the bottom to fall out and my face to get fried off with a barrage of wicked 32ths @ 00:45. Regardless, some very solid riffs follow.

Nice transition @ 01.41, and nice (dis)harmonies @ 01:50. Interesting end sequence. A solid piece, very cool!

 

Only had time for this one atm. I'll check out the others as time permits.

Those might sound like disharmonies at 1:50, but according to the source I used to cover the tune, the second half of E1M1 doesn't use the the same melody on both guitars; rather, Bobby made some interesting use of major and minor thirds on the descending notes, which are not as resolute as perfect fourths or fifths, but do provide a nice "chunkiness" with the amplification. The idea I had for this cover was a slower tempo that solos the entire riff, then goes back through it more "traditionally" with those major/minor third harmonies.

Edited by GoatLord

Share this post


Link to post

I sometimes don't use the proper term when I describe stuff. What I should have said is that the intervals you used created a kind of tension that "went along for the ride", alongside the main melody, and that I thought this was a very cool sound!

 

Couple questions: Are those recordings of you playing, or is it like a MIDI composition, where the computer is playing back your pre-written composition? I guess what I'm asking is: Does that site take a sheet music file, and render the song using its choice of instrument sample, or do you just submit a wav/mp3? (Sorry for being clueless about it. I might like to submit a couple of tunes one day.)

 

Again, a cool, refreshing take on a song that's no stranger to being covered! Good job.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

So, Im not a music expert, I dont even know how to play a flute. But I can tell you this, I love this. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/14/2017 at 8:43 PM, kb1 said:

I sometimes don't use the proper term when I describe stuff. What I should have said is that the intervals you used created a kind of tension that "went along for the ride", alongside the main melody, and that I thought this was a very cool sound!

 

Couple questions: Are those recordings of you playing, or is it like a MIDI composition, where the computer is playing back your pre-written composition? I guess what I'm asking is: Does that site take a sheet music file, and render the song using its choice of instrument sample, or do you just submit a wav/mp3? (Sorry for being clueless about it. I might like to submit a couple of tunes one day.)

 

Again, a cool, refreshing take on a song that's no stranger to being covered! Good job.

I program the music in FL Studio using the piano roll, which is akin to virtual sheet music and more or less resembles a grid where you plug in the notes. Each instrument has its own grid, whether it's the drums, guitar, bass, etc. The riffs were written using a synthesizer whose articulations (pinch harmonics, palm muting, unison bends, etc.) are triggered by low notes outside the tonal range of the guitar, eliminating the need to automate various effects. The distortion is handled by a separate effect called an amp simulator.

 

EDIT: As for your questions regarding the site...no, SoundCloud doesn't do that. It's just a place to post your music. However, FL Studio and other DAWs (digital audio workstations) can generate sheet music.

Edited by GoatLord

Share this post


Link to post

Hey these are real nice! 

Edited by Piper Maru
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I'm working one one called "Quad Damage" which uses the famous sound effect of the powerup throughout the song. I was inspired by the industrial, almost dubstep sounding intro for N64 Quake 2, which samples the quad damage as an instrument.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2017 at 7:26 AM, GoatLord said:

I program the music in FL Studio using the piano roll, which is akin to virtual sheet music and more or less resembles a grid where you plug in the notes. Each instrument has its own grid, whether it's the drums, guitar, bass, etc. The riffs were written using a synthesizer whose articulations (pinch harmonics, palm muting, unison bends, etc.) are triggered by low notes outside the tonal range of the guitar, eliminating the need to automate various effects. The distortion is handled by a separate effect called an amp simulator.

 

EDIT: As for your questions regarding the site...no, SoundCloud doesn't do that. It's just a place to post your music. However, FL Studio and other DAWs (digital audio workstations) can generate sheet music.

It's amazing - the guitar riffs sound very guitar-like. Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kb1 said:

It's amazing - the guitar riffs sound very guitar-like. Good stuff.

Thanks. Electric guitar is exceedingly difficult to emulate due to the unique overtones generated by the complex frequencies of amplification. It's only been in the last decade or so that plug-ins and amp simulators have been able to generate a convincing sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Thanks. Electric guitar is exceedingly difficult to emulate due to the unique overtones generated by the complex frequencies of amplification. It's only been in the last decade or so that plug-ins and amp simulators have been able to generate a convincing sound. 

You're welcome. And, I know it's difficult to simulate - it's not just about clipping. I tried my hand at generating an overdriven single string sound from an acoustic sample, and...it wasn't very realistic. Didn't sound bad, just not like that sweet fuzz sound. The best I ever got approached that "double-fuzz" Sabbath N.I.B (which is awesome), but it was just too harsh and unnatural. You nailed it!

Share this post


Link to post

Again, thank you! I've been doing synth guitar for over a decade and I've finally gotten to the point that it sounds pretty decent. I've got some stuff in the works such as an E3M8 (Facing the Spider) remix, plus some really aggressive gabber/metal and some funky industrial stuff. As I experiment the realism of the guitar tones and the general cohesiveness of the project is increasing.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now