Guest Mariner

Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

myk said:

The "city" maps (12-16) aren't bad, they play well enough and they don't look ugly. Nanami, the only open map sort of like those in DOOM is e3m6.

Except they don't bear the slightest resemblence to any cities I've ever seen, except maybe map 13.

Archvile46 said:

Except they don't bear the slightest resemblence to any cities I've ever seen, except maybe map 13.

How many cities have you been to that were overrun by hellspawn? ;P

Nanami said:

Still, none of it made any sense whatsoever.

I think final doom has the best realistic(ish) maps of the "official" Doom stuff.

Doom 2's maps between 1 and 7 did kind of look like a infested star port or waste tunnels. most of te other maps after that just looked odd.

Nanami said:

Idiot, cities overrun with hellspawn look like cities with a few cars turned over or thrown around, lots of cracks and holes in buildings and buildings on fire - in other words: Like a wartorn city.

And no, Doom 2's city levels look nothing like that.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Widow Maker said:
Yes, the cities certainly do exhibit extremely 'retarded' behaviour. Like being commented on by total shit heads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't you been banned yet?

Nope, but he's heading in that direction - now would be a good time for him to start being more careful.

dsm said:

Idiot, cities overrun with [...]

Two ideas that should come in handy for you:

A) Start taking your morning chill-pill again.
B) Stay silent and let the stable-minded people do the talking.

myk said:

Two ideas that should come in handy for you:

A) Start taking your morning chill-pill again.
B) Stay silent and let the stable-minded people do the talking.

A) I am not the only one on DW who need to take chill pills I can assure you - go bug some of them instead of me.
B) Who do you think you are to come here and tell me when I should talk and when I shouldn't?

I'm up to the second secret map of Plutonia Experiment, and so far, these maps are the best of all the official Doom maps. Next comes Doom. I especially like the Hell maps, not so much for the architecture, but for the general atmosphere. Then comes Doom 2. Some of the maps, especially a few of the later ones seemed rushed. Map 25 (Bloodfalls) looks only half complete.

dsm said:

Idiot, cities overrun with hellspawn look like cities with a few cars turned over or thrown around, lots of cracks and holes in buildings and buildings on fire - in other words: Like a wartorn city.

And no, Doom 2's city levels look nothing like that.

It's an 8 year old game. What do you expect?

Ichor, you mean the map01 based one in Plutonia? That's a pretty neat thing (a kind of tribute to both the map, map editing, coupled with well-used hordes of monsters.) As for parts of DOOM II being rushed... not much more than some DOOM maps, and generally, to me, it has to do more with the author's style. Sandy Petersen, for instance, was highly productive, but his maps are rougher, not that they are necessarily bad. American McGee in DOOM II is pretty neat, in my opinion (and so is John, of course.) Note that map25, which you mentioned, seems to be Shawn Green's only map...

Plutonia is pretty solid especially because it was made by just two (good) authors. The same thing happens to episode 1, which is mostly Romero's.

Shaviro said:

It's an 8 year old game. What do you expect?

Well, Doom 1's maps looked like a scientific base. Doom 2's city maps just looked like odd blocks of thrown together textures. It could definitely have been done better.

myk said:

Ichor, you mean the map01 based one in Plutonia? That's a pretty neat thing (a kind of tribute to both the map, map editing, coupled with well-used hordes of monsters.)

You probably already know this, but Plutonia map32 was developed from Punishr.wad, in which the similarities to map01 were greater, and the monsters were in even greater hordes.

Nope, I wasn't aware (haven't checked on loose Casali WADs thoroughly, really), so thanks for the info... it sure has an amusing TXT file...

I think he's exaggerating slightly about the number of monsters, but not about the difficulty. Good luck!

It's quite cool that there's a demo by Dario Casali himself...

When there are so many crappy games out there why rip on Doom2? I'm sure if id had all the time in the world to design and build the levels, not to mention the new monsters and textures then the maps would've reflected this.
Doom2 is the perfect sequel, more Doom, with a new varied design. I enjoyed all the maps, and the city levels strech from map 12-20. just look at the level warp screen in setup.exe if you don't believe me.
Hey dsm, how can you pick on the texturing of Doom2 after playing episode 3 (inferno)?? Has anyone even looked at some of the texturing in that episode? yuch!

I mentioned "12-16" because of their design, not location. To be exact for me the "city" maps would be 12, 13, 15 and 16. The whole 2nd "episode" occurs within the city, sure, but I think the discussion was about maps that resemble an urban area to some degree.

Doom I.

Doom II seems patched together at the best of times. Apart from the odd Hell map, it's pretty much an exercise in 'uninteresting (as one mapper might have put it)' mapping.

It's E1 for me. Those are just the best damn levels ever. I still can't beat E1M8 without getting lost :D

Some of the Doom2s aren't that bad but... take "Tricks and Traps", for example, it's just an octagon with branches. And "dead simple" is just that: simple. It could have been made in 10-15 minutes at the most.

I liked Doom1's level designs, but imo, they all had HORRIBLE texture placements. e2m2 and e2m4 are good examples.

Doom 2's maps looks a lot better, but doesn't live up to the hype of Doom 1's maps.

At Singleplayer: Doom > Doom 2
At Multiplayer: Doom 2 > Doom

Personally, I tend to be more as a deathmatcher, so go figure.

ssg rules my world. archviles are cool... revenents are cooler.
but then, there is darknation's attractive anatomy... :P