Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

426 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

1 hour ago, OldDoomer said:

E4 is basically more hell

Akschually, Thy Flesh Consumed takes place after Doomguy teleports from Dis (E3M8) back to Earth and fends off the demons that went through the teleporter before Doomguy.

I think I'm pretty much following the popular opinion here. Doom is more consistent in its level design, setting, pacing and difficulty curve. It's the more polished product when taken as a whole. Doom 2 however improves the core gameplay with new demons that make for more interesting combat scenarios and a new weapon that creates a better flow to that combat and that's arguably more important to me, especially as a base for custom maps.

So it's hard to say, I would have a really have a hard time choosing one over the other if you told me I could never play one of them again for some reason. I guess I would say Doom is a better experience while Doom 2 is a funner game if that makes any sense?

Ultimate Doom through Final Doom has all merged into one giant game in my head anyway. Whenever people tend to argue about which one is best it's all just Doom to me.

The game is pretty decent, not the best, but not the worst.

It's my least favourite Doom game. Some maps look uglier than those from Ultimate Doom, the city maps look medieval and the game is supposed to be in the future and I didn't felt like I was on Earth. But still, it's a fun game not gonna lie

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Well... I love Doom 1!

The fast paced shooting

The original 10 demons from Hell

and ofc, the shotgun!

18 minutes ago, Gore said:

I find DOOM 2 decent but I honestly prefer ultimate doom over it. not because it feels semi-easier with the lower count of enemies but because level design and just

the regular shotgun.

But obviously, the SSG is still my bitch. I love that thing.

2 minutes ago, Gore said:

Well... I love Doom 1!

The fast paced shooting

The original 10 demons from Hell

and ofc, the shotgun!

Maybe you need to make a thread about it.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Maybe you need to make a thread about it.

Maybe....

Best Doom game, and maybe the best videogame overall for me depending on my mood.

It really perfected the formula with all the new aditions in terms of weapons, monster roster, items and mapping tools, and even with a few sub-par levels, the game is a whole lot more than the sum of its parts simply by having such a simple format to load custom content for it, and we have a lifetime of good stuff made in that department.

edit: and yeah I get it but I'm answering it seriously anyway

Doom II is the one I have the fondest memories with, even if some levels get on my nerves, it remains my favorite.

Edited by Thirteened_Candles

Their expanded roster of demons and more action focus gameplay make it better that Ultimate Doom, even if some levels in the Earth mostly does not feel good to "see" some levels desing are pretty excelent, and somewhat inspired what modders could do with this formula, something that sadly does not apply with U:Doom.

And is the one i have more memory of replaying it, as it's play good in a speedruning fashion on a short burst. Also their DM is by far better balanced.

My only complain would be as i said, some levels does not feeel gooood or have the same touch as Ultimate Doom, or even Plutonia 

I always thought it was kind of underwhelming for a sequel, as it had only one new weapon and a few new monsters and no real new mechanics or anything. It felt more like an expansion pack.

Many maps look like some sort of experiment, like "what if I put a final boss from Doom 1 into a crusher and let player to crush it, ha ha." or "What if you put a Cyberdemon with many Barons into a small room and let them infight" or "what if you let Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind infight?" or maybe "Hey, barrels do boom boom... maybe I could based a whole map on barrels."

Doom 2 has the best gameplay with the new enemies and the ssg vastly improving combat. My only issues are that the maps lack decoration compared to the original, The difficulty dropoff near the end, and the fact that some maps, particularly the city levels, feel more boring to play. As for the final map, I love it. It's music hurts my ears though.

Useless thread aside, I think doom 2 is great. I'd also say that doom 1 is generic corn flakes, while doom 2 is raisin bran.

Edited by Crystal-Hawk_D00M

1 hour ago, Mayomancer said:

Best Doom game, and maybe the best videogame overall for me depending on my mood.

It really perfected the formula with all the new aditions in terms of weapons, monster roster, items and mapping tools, and even with a few sub-par levels, the game is a whole lot more than the sum of its parts simply by having such a simple format to load custom content for it, and we have a lifetime of good stuff made in that department.

edit: and yeah I get it but I'm answering it seriously anyway

I agree. It wasn't a big leap from Doom1 but it didn't need to be, it was still a couple years ahead of anything else on the market. Consoles the generation after still couldn't play the thing properly. It took Doom's perfect gameplay and just made it more, and it definitely worked, and it still does.

Doom might have a tighter mood, but I think I prefer Doom 2's go big or go home approach. It's what I appreciate about Doom Eternal as well. Bigger monsters, more variety in tactics, bigger, more varied maps, and most importantly - the SSG. The greatest weapon in videogame history. 

I think my top 10 games all-time would be something like Doom, Doom2, Doom: Eternal, Diablo 2, WoW, Starcraft, Pokemon Red, SMB 3, Half-life 2, and resident evil 4

But I mean that's just an off-the-cuff opinion. And I haven't played alot of the greats. I could care less about Zelda, GTA, and I haven't played Half-life: Alyx. I did play the resident evil that's on PSVR, and I couldn't believe the quality of the experience - it felt like I was in that fuckin' game, so it's probably pretty wild. Like when I was standing next to the wife character in RE VR, and I checked out her ass, I felt like I was being a leering pervert because the illusion was so strong. I can't fuckin believe they haven't done more with that medium yet. What am I even going on about now

It's a pretty solid game for the most part. I really like that it added a bunch of new enemies and the Super Shotgun is a real godsend. The music is decent for the most part. The levels are not as fun to play, especially past the first 10 maps. I feel like MAP11 - 21 are a slog to go through. The Hellish type maps are alright. I don't think the maps are overall very memorable.

I would rank this a solid 7.5/10

1 hour ago, Kute said:

I agree. It wasn't a big leap from Doom1 but it didn't need to be, it was still a couple years ahead of anything else on the market. Consoles the generation after still couldn't play the thing properly. It took Doom's perfect gameplay and just made it more, and it definitely worked, and it still does.

Doom might have a tighter mood, but I think I prefer Doom 2's go big or go home approach. It's what I appreciate about Doom Eternal as well. Bigger monsters, more variety in tactics, bigger, more varied maps, and most importantly - the SSG. The greatest weapon in videogame history. 

I think my top 10 games all-time would be something like Doom, Doom2, Doom: Eternal, Diablo 2, WoW, Starcraft, Pokemon Red, SMB 3, Half-life 2, and resident evil 4

But I mean that's just an off-the-cuff opinion. And I haven't played alot of the greats. I could care less about Zelda, GTA, and I haven't played Half-life: Alyx. I did play the resident evil that's on PSVR, and I couldn't believe the quality of the experience - it felt like I was in that fuckin' game, so it's probably pretty wild. Like when I was standing next to the wife character in RE VR, and I checked out her ass, I felt like I was being a leering pervert because the illusion was so strong. I can't fuckin believe they haven't done more with that medium yet. What am I even going on about now

I'd agree with that synopsis. When the game first came out I was very disappointed because I expected it to look and feel like fighting on earth and I never got the impression that it does or was supposed to look like earth now or in the future. Still, the game is a gem and it looks better over time. I'd definitely substitute Ultima Underworld for something on your list, I never played Pokemon Red so I'd put it right there. I was never a fan of MMORPG's so I'd put Hexen or Dungeon Keeper in place of Wow.  

2 hours ago, Gore said:

Glad you started a whole thread to share this thorough and insightful analysis

Yea that's one thing they badly fucked up, and it's kind of weird, because I feel like even back then they had enough tools to make reasonable looking earth maps. 

Have they ever said why the city maps looked nothing like anything? Maybe they're supposed to be future cities? I'm so terrible with the lore, it's like 2070 right? I mean 1971 new york and 2021 new york don't look that different, but maybe they were going for future maps. IDK

Duke Nukem's city levels look pretty weird too though - I guess those 2.5d engines just can't do cities? IDK

If the maps were the way everyone wanted them to be the game would be worse and less unique from a level design perspective 

59 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

If the maps were the way everyone wanted them to be the game would be worse and less unique from a level design perspective 

What do you mean?

I like Doom 2, however I dislike that certain maps are a bit hit or miss.

Map 14 is a hit in my books, and map 25 is a total miss. Poor Shawn...

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I agree. The game in itself feels rushed tho. I don't like it :/

Unless you speak about revenants! Hahahahhaha!

It's fine....nostalgia sort of makes me prepare Doom I, too many butt-ugly Sandy maps (lol) too much fucking brown, worst music than doom 1, the shittiest excuse for city maps ever, oddball map order. I do love the introduction of the Arch-vile however. And Industrial Zone, Courtyard, Refueling Base, and such are among Doom's finest. But yeah,