Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stonedbaroness

Custom MIDI wont play in my map

Question

I got some MIDI files, tested a few from j-jukebox v9 and it never plays when i open my map up. I'm trying to establish some atmospheric music in my Carribean level style Map set and have many ideas on what kind of music, my question is how to get it to work? They're just plain old MIDI files with one titled D_RUNNIN, and even that wont play. Is there a boom version of mapinfo or something?

12 answers to this question

Well, I answered my own question. Zandronum 2.1.2 is the only one thatdoesn't paly it. I switched to 3.0 and bam it worked, I tested with GZDoom 2.4 to and it worked. Weird 

Have you checked for certain that your speakers are functional and you have the correct MIDI device set? Simply add a D_RUNNIN lump would give you music on map01, even on vanilla.

What MIDI synth are you using?

The native Windows SoftSynth has some issues with a few MIDIs so if that one is active it may be the reason.

One that it won't play for me is 'alienz.mid' from Duke Nukem 3D.

Chances are it's a hardware issue or the MIDI device isn't present or even set.

1 hour ago, Voros said:

Chances are it's a hardware issue or the MIDI device isn't present or even set.

It plays the Original MIDI on FMOD just fine, and even when i use the jackbox it plays it like a charm to.

I can't say for sure what the problem is unless there's something else in the WAD like a MAPINFO. It might also be related to OpenAL.

If your wad contains a MAPINFO with a definition of "map MAP01", make sure that this definition contains a line "music = D_RUNNIN". If your wad didn't contain any MAPINFO or if the MAPINFO didn't redefine MAP01, the default definition of MAP01 would be used, which already has the music name D_RUNNIN assigned. But if your wad's MAPINFO redefines MAP01 without explicitly assigning the music, the music name D_RUNNIN would no longer be assigned to MAP01.

I gather from your last sentence that you are using Boom. I don't know much about Boom, but maybe Boom doesn't support midi. If that's the case, and it might not be, but if so,  you would need to translate your midi to Doom's mus format.

8 hours ago, Empyre said:

I gather from your last sentence that you are using Boom. I don't know much about Boom, but maybe Boom doesn't support midi. If that's the case, and it might not be, but if so,  you would need to translate your midi to Doom's mus format.

Boom in Doom 2 format yes, but Im testing with Zandronum and it only plays converted .mus's

First off, which slot is the map occupying? If it's map01, then add your music lump as D_RUNNIN and it'll work.