Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Looking for "High-Res" Nazi Textures

Hi Doomworld,

I'm re-creating a long-lost Nazi base for Recycled CP. The original map makes heavy use of the Doom 2 Wolfenstein textures (for obvious reasons), but I'd like to replace these with stuff that's, y'know, not 16-color at least. They don't have to be remakes of the Wolfenstein resources -- they just have to make my Nazi base look like a Nazi base. Does anyone here know of a WAD or texture pack that might have something useful in it?

While I'm here... I am absolutely certain that someone has made an animated waterfall texture, but I can't offhand think of any maps I've seen one in. Could somebody point me to a waterfall texture?

Bonus points if you can suggest any good, comprehensive, versatile texture packs that I could use for this or future projects.

Thanks a bunch! :-)

Perhaps search for hi-res Return to Castle Wolfenstein texture packs. I know I came across some in the past and there are a decent variety of base, castle and village textures (along with all the usual Nazi stuff).

You'll have to get them into Doom's palette, which can be pretty straightforward or somewhat challenging depending on the texture (Doom has lots of green, browns, and reds; not a lot of purples, limited blues and yellows). At least if you want coherence and corss-port compatibility, or are targeting something like vanilla or boom.

Slade can convert an image to Doom's palette for you, but the results are often not great. I use a combination of Photoshop and an excellent pixel art program called Aseprite, which is cheap ($15) and has a free trial that can be sufficient by itself in a pinch. Message me if you want more help, I'm interested in Recycled CP in general!

Edit: Also, I should have mentioned, in many cases you will want to resize higher resolution textures down to something more conventionally Doom-y--dimensions that are powers of two, generally nothing bigger than 256x256.

@Big Ol Billy, I am no artist! I barely have patience for mapping, let alone coloring pixels. If it's not all ready for me to use, I probably won't use it.

That being said, I ran across this, but haven't looked at its textures yet. Just downloaded because it looked promising.

Also, I might be forced to make a flat (a very simple one), so I might message you if I have any trouble with it.

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah not sure how much help that wad's going to be. Best bet is probably Return to Castle Wolfenstein textures. There's a fan-made high-resolution texture pack the community has made, apparently, but it actually looks worse than the original imho and is even less suited to being Doomified. If someone found or ripped the original RtCW textures I might be interested in helping out, I find texturing cathartic actually, plus it could be a good community resource :D

Also: for the standard waterfall texture (blue version of BFALL, used in Plutonia IIRC), use Jimmy's Plutonia texture pack. (Original thread here)

Edited by Big Ol Billy

@42PercentHealth If you're targeting an advanced source port like GZDoom, there's very little work you need to do.  Open your WAD in Slade, create two new entires called "PP_START" and "PP_END".  Drag and drop all the textures you want between those markers.  Then select them all, right click, go to "Graphic" and select "Add to TEXTUREX".  Press "Yes" and then "OK" and then save your WAD.  Load it in GZDB and voila, all your textures are there.  You don't need to worry about converting them or resizing them or anything.

For older ports like PRBoom+, the above process still applies, but as Big Ol Billy says they can't be "hi-res" and you need to convert them to the Doom pallette and make sure they're the right size etc.  It's a bit of a pain.

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I'm re-creating a long-lost Nazi base for Recycled CP.

You do not need to stick to wolfenstein textures, fyi. As long as you can provide the aesthetic of a man-made military fortress, there's not going to be any issue on my end. In fact, I'd even argue some folkd may find the absence of the wolfenstein theme a step in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Bauul said:

@42PercentHealth If you're targeting an advanced source port like GZDoom, there's very little work you need to do.  Open your WAD in Slade, create two new entires called "PP_START" and "PP_END".  Drag and drop all the textures you want between those markers.  Then select them all, right click, go to "Graphic" and select "Add to TEXTUREX".  Press "Yes" and then "OK" and then save your WAD.  Load it in GZDB and voila, all your textures are there.  You don't need to worry about converting them or resizing them or anything.

For older ports like PRBoom+, the above process still applies, but as Big Ol Billy says they can't be "hi-res" and you need to convert them to the Doom pallette and make sure they're the right size etc.  It's a bit of a pain.

Yeah, this is a Boom project, so nothing fancy. When I said "high-res," I meant higher than the Wolf3D ones (hence the quotation marks).

2 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Yeah, this is a Boom project, so nothing fancy. When I said "high-res," I meant higher than the Wolf3D ones (hence the quotation marks).

Ah, sorry, I missed that bit!  The ones I found were 4K+, so probably a bit too high for your needs!

30 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You do not need to stick to wolfenstein textures, fyi. As long as you can provide the aesthetic of a man-made military fortress, there's not going to be any issue on my end. In fact, I'd even argue some folkd may find the absence of the wolfenstein theme a step in the right direction.

I'm definitely stepping away from Wolf3D textures! If I could get something on par with Doom-quality textures to suggest Nazis, I'd be happy to just put a swastika on the wall behind a desk or something simple like that. Never needed custom textures before, so wasn't sure how much was out there...