Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How do I combine all these resources?

So I was browsing Realm 667's "prop shop," which contains a number of sprites themed under "vegetation," "light sources," "technical" and the like. Let's say that I want to combine the props of several of these mods, which are in .wad form. What's the most effective way to do this, in particular for folks who are novices at modding?

Open all applicable resource wad files with Slade3, as well as your own pwad.

For up to 6 resource wads, copy/paste all lumps from each resource wad into your pwad.

This will entail that you wind up with duplicate lump names, as in SNDINFO, KEYCONF etc., they are cumulative.

Now, in case of multiple DECORATE lumps, you have several choices. If there are up to 6 I usually leave them

as they are.

If more than 6, I would rename each DECORATE lump with the actor's name and make one DECORATE lump with

the lines #include "actor" for each actor.

If more than, lets say 12, than split each lump section  from each resource wad according to

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement into folders/subfolders and than place your own pwad

into the maps folder. Then zip the folders/subfolders into a pk3 file.

Perfect examples are Enjay's Gene-Tech, Rex's Paranoid or Real_Trisk's The Island (warning: hefty file sizes).

In any case, check that each actor has a unique and unused DoomED number.

Edited by Kappes Buur

That's terrific and nicely worded advice, but,

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

What's the most effective way to do this, in particular for folks who are novices at modding?

The fact that the article goes into much more detail I think will make it easier to digest. I don't necessarily have specific resources in mind, but I was thinking about how some of the vegetation, technical and hell sprites would probably work really well for a future map or maps I'm planning on making.