Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Subatomic

Using ACS, check if script has run already

Question

Let's say I have two linedefs (Linedef A and Linedef B), both of which are set to execute Script 1 on walkover. For this part, not a problem. But here's what I'd like to do more specifically: The player walks over Linedef A first, script 1 executes. Then, the player walks over Linedef B and script 1 does *not* execute. However, if the player walks over Linedef B first, script 1 executes, then they walk over Linedef A and it does *not* execute.

Is this possible to do with ACS? If so, how?

6 answers to this question

If it's a looping script, this happens automatically; ACS_Execute only allows one instance of each script to run at a time, which is why ACS_ExecuteAlways exists.

Otherwise, it's not terribly difficult either. Make a global variable, like, say, bool script1Executed, and set it at the end of script 1. Then, at the start of script 1, either return if script1Executed is set, or put the entirety of script 1's contents into an if statement that only executes if it isn't set.

e.g.

bool script1Executed;

script 1 ( void ) {
	if( script1Executed ) {
		return;
	}

script1Executed = true;
}

Give both linedefs the same id (tag) "A".  When either linedef executes your script, use SetLineSpecial in that script to remove the special from any linedefs tagged "A".

Are you sure about it automatically only running once? Right now, if I walk over linedef A, script 1 will spawn an imp. If I then walk over linedef B, another imp spawns -- whether I have it set to be repeatable or not. This is using just Script Execute (action 80), by the way. So you're saying this should already prevent it from running twice? It doesn't seem to work that way, but I'm likely not setting it up properly.

I tried using your method but GZDoom Builder gives a compile error at "return;".

9 hours ago, Subatomic said:

Are you sure about it automatically only running once? Right now, if I walk over linedef A, script 1 will spawn an imp. If I then walk over linedef B, another imp spawns -- whether I have it set to be repeatable or not. This is using just Script Execute (action 80), by the way. So you're saying this should already prevent it from running twice? It doesn't seem to work that way, but I'm likely not setting it up properly.

Yes, I'm sure. But note that I said looping script - that's important, because otherwise the script will destroy its instance as soon as it reaches its end. Which will happen in less than a game tick, if there's nothing delaying it.