Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

What's the worst FPS map pack you can think of?

D!Zone, Duke!Zone, Maximum Doom, and Extreme Rise of the Triad are all pretty abysmal. I know that Duke Nukem 3D got a lot of unauthorised map packs containing thousands of maps that I have no doubt are complete garbage. I'm curious to know what you think the worst of the worst is.

D!Zone, yet I still love it for how awful it is. Its adorable in the way cave men can barely make fire... but they still did it. Now we have flame throwers and forest fires every few weeks.

... maybe if someone were to put a "Best of Terrymap CD" together that would be worse.

Other than that some of the weapon packs are intentionally terrible.

Edited by geo

There are countless of those unauthorized shovelware map packs with thousands of terrible levels, but only ones I have played (partially) are D!Zone Gold and Maximum Doom, which the latter is official funny enough. Out of the two, D!Zone Gold gets my pick, not even worth going through the wads as even the best are just below average at best. Also I find it funny how having thousands of bad levels is somehow a selling point for it, but then again, there was some false advertising on the images, quite shady it is.

I would probably go for Nuclear Winter for Duke 3D. The maps in there feel very uninspired and don't make much use of Build's features at all, so they might as well have made this for Doom. The highlight of the mapset is a secret that pays tribute to Doom E1M1.

I don't think Nuclear Winter is bad, but rather it's just mediocre. Some of the levels are a bit lazy, but I like the boss battle with Santa at the end and the Christmas motif is generally handled well.