Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

So, how do you appreciate Indian culture

Have you guys ever been to India or has anyone read a lot about it? It's a big shame to say that I am from India and STILL I have not visited all of it's states. True, we are part of a big country and the largest democracy, but we still have social and political bullshit happening everywhere. So, coming back to the topic,  I want your opinion. How great is India, according to you? Is it good or bad? How can you guys help to solve social/political crises in India? I want your message on that one as well.

And on the top o' the list, how to you appreciate our culture??

Edited by AbhinandAnilDoomguy

Never been there, though their artistic culture (from what i've seen in TV) Is very interesting something that my brother would like probably.

I heard cannabis is a part of indian culture, so I appreciate that a lot I guess.

What I don't appreciate about that, is that the indian government is basically "hunting" cannabis farmers. The worst is, they're paying people with alcohol to destroy those cannabis fields in the mountains, which are basically the only income those people have. They can hardly grow food there, or atleast I heard so in a strainhunters documentary about india.

I also appreciate that small indian shop near me, basically because it's opened almost 24/7.

Also Siddhartha Gautama(aka Buddha), how couldn't you appreciate him?

I live in a suburb with a sizable Asian and Indian population, but we tend to keep to ourselves.

A lot of people that attended the High School I went to traveled to India (I remember a picture of someone in Delhi as well as in Goa); I remember the picture of the inn they stayed at and it was very nice. But I never was into travel myself.

India : The land of 1.3 billion people, delicious curry (and rice, of course), an architectural masterpiece called Taj Mahal, and Tunak Tunak Tun.

Also, they have nuclear weapons, aircraft carriers and SSBN, and they are capable of launching probes to Mars. So yes, never mess with them.

I've met Indian Immigrants, most of them seem nice. I'm pretty sure my Pdoc is indian, very intelligent man.

I really like mango lassi and the conservative values of their families, at least based on the people I met.

But I'm not fan of spicy flavours in Indian food, with exception of Chicken Tika. Also I never want to visit India with its crowds and poverty. It probably smells too. Also selling to Indians is such a pain in the arse.

I’m from the united states and I’ve never been to India. I’ve had Indian neighbors and coworkers, and a few that were friends for a little bit. Most of the Indian people I’ve met were incredibly affable and outgoing and loved talking to people. I understand Indian people have a lot of pride in their home country, which is good. Many Americans seem to be unhappy with the current state of their country and aren’t very interested or motivated to do anything about it, so we have a lot to learn from you guys in that regard. From my observations, Indian people appear to be the least likely to acclimate to American culture. The ones I’ve met spend the most of their time concerned with what’s going on in India, going out with other indian people, working where other indian people work, watching Indian movies, eating authentic Indian cuisine, etc.

This isn’t a problem, of course. But in my experience working in customer service, an employee can get in a lot of trouble with their supervisors for offering discounts or changing the prices of products. Nevertheless, many Indian men will attempt to haggle the prices for things, which can be very uncomfortable, especially if they are persuasive, aggressive, and/or loud. It can be especially intimidating if they have a strong accent, which makes them difficult to understand. I guess negotiating prices for the products you want to buy is common in India? I don’t know. I’ve had friends who worked as waiters/waitresses at restaurants and they’ve told me they often are quick to complain about their service and use it as leverage to tip poorly. This isn’t always true, of course, but usually Indian people wearing indian clothing, jewelry, hair styles, and sandals are much more likely to be difficult to cooperate with in retail than one who has a clean shaven face and wears outfits from Old Navy.

In my experience working with them, they are friendly and hard working. I’ve also had the opportunity to try a variety of indian food they would bring into work to share, which was very nice. However, many of who I worked with had a very limited English vocabulary so many of them would talk amongst themselves in Hindi, which was kind of alienating for me when I worked long shifts. Whenever I worked with one other Indian employee there were often looooooong periods of silence because it was difficult for me to maintain a conversation with them. 

I’m speaking completely anecdotally, here. Not all people are the same. It just happens here often enough to notice.  No one here should use this as any validation to misrepresent an entire country. This is just my personal experience.

A mate of mine at the WA Academy of Performing Arts just had his graduation recital - he hails from India, and has performed on multiple occasions at WAAPA, all-original musical compositions that blend electronics, percussion (particularly drumming and the use of marimbas/vibraphones), meditative practice, theatre and dance. Every piece he puts on is an utter spectacle.

His name's Tao Issaro and I highly recommend checking him out.

I'm gonna link to his full graduation recital once that becomes available online (he performed it last Saturday). It was amazing.

I've never been to India, and don't know anything about Indian culture. All I know is that they do yoga, eat really fucking spicy but delicious food, spit yoga fire, work as doctors or tech support, make annoying music, and always buy two to six large bunches of bananas at my local grocery store.

Come at me, I dare you.

I want to shitpost but I almost forgot this is DW lol. I know some Indians immigrants working here and they are chill. The food are nice, which was being simplified and sometimes perfected in my place (I never heard them telling me about a naan bread with cheese in it). Also the smallest satellite is the best thing ever in my opinion.

India for me is like a chill friend who can take me to drink whenever I feel like shit. :D  

Canada here. :p I had a couple teachers in high school who were from India. My Math teacher would tell us stories of India on Fridays... he was pretty cool. I don't know a lot of anything about India. Tandoori chicken is tasty and so is butter chicken. You guys have insane power line conglomerations and a temple full of rats...

I looove spicy Indian food. I've met quite a few Indians living in Australia and they've all been nice people.

Indian cuisine has some of the best vegetarian or vegan dishes I can think of. Culture wise I can't say much in detail, because I was too young when I went there for a few months with my parents, but I remember it being a nice experience. Of the many things I know about India today, the financial injustice that the poor part of the population experiences is outrageous for what considerable parts of the western civilization has to endure. I view India as a country of contrast, with very post-modern sides to it, while it still is strong in regards to traditions. Then there is the rich - poor contrast on the other hand, which is also very "defined" for lack of a better term.

The people I met in my life so far were genuinely nice people and very polite. Most of them were also very eager to share part of their culture and exchange opinions on different subjects. The way I perceive the mentality is coloured by these impressions for the most part.

While visiting a country with a respectable portion of its citizens being of Indian descent, I once made the mistake of being left-handed in an authentic Indian restaurant.

8 minutes ago, Aldaraia said:

While visiting a country with a respectable portion of its citizens being of Indian descent, I once made the mistake of being left-handed in an authentic Indian restaurant.

I guess we're against that, except if you're eating rotis or naan breads.

Never been able to sit through a Bollywood movie, but the cuisine is top-notch. 

Edited by Guest