Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Discord Servers

TSPG is probably the central zandronum discord. Mods, clans, and server clusters tend to have their own (such as death foretold and the NE cluster) as opposed to a general discord. Not that you would want that anyway, if the general #zandronum IRC channel is any indication of quality.

Decay, please do reformat the ZTDM server into a general purpose multiplayer server. It'd be nice to have one that isn't source port centric and also isn't a hive of poop

Edited by Doomkid

I'd be up for some multiplayer Discord.  I generally always miss when people are playing but I'm on Discord enough that if there was a decent (none nonsense-filled) server it'd be easier to organize, so I'd be very up for joining.

2 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Well I wasn't asking about anything secretive.

It's not secretive so much as more or less "controlled" in terms of who is let in due to past problems. Ask @dew

Anyway, since ZTDM is wrapping up tomorrow, I'll start rearranging it for general MP -> not port specific, small tournament launch point (pick-up duel tournaments etc), MP projects what have you. Here's the link, if it builds up any steam I'll ask Ralphis to edit it into his post. https://discord.gg/gsVSHGK

Provides for multi-port tournament, pick up games, events, survival, coop, projects, whatever.

I can go ahead and edit Ralphis' post, I don't think he'll mind.

EDIT: Classic Doom Multiplayer discord has been added to the list! Nice to have a central grounds on Discord for all mp doomers to meet.

Edited by Doomkid

This may come across as a self-promotion of sorts, but Zandronum Competition Alliance has been around for almost a year, and it has since hosted a healthy amount of successful tournaments, as well as essentially becoming the new home of Zandronum private CTF, although we are slowly but surely expanding to a few other gamemodes as well.

Does anyone have a good idea of the relative activity of each of the multi-player Discords? I'm looking to join one that would be the best for hosting and joining classic co-op and survival games in terms of more regular activity. 

The doom multiplayer community isnt the most active in general, so your best bet is to join multiple discords so you can enjoy the combined activity and people from multiple servers; limiting yourself to one is only asking for disappointment.

Joining a discord is not enough. YOU have to make the effort to do something. If you want to play, YOU have to be the one to put up the servers and advertise. Don't go into a discord and assume others will do it for you/it's a taken for granted thing.

5 hours ago, Decay said:

If you want to play, YOU have to be the one to put up the servers and advertise.

This is a little preposterous as a blanket statement. I'm perfectly willing to host servers and pull in interested participants, but there are a ridiculous number of empty servers that just remain running, or people that host servers that very few others join. It seems like there's a disproportionately high number of people that want to provide the service rather than using the service, so my intuition tells me it would add more to the multiplayer community to join existing servers and add the the multiplayer discussion, which may in turn bolster the support of these servers.

Edit: I will add that there are many cases in which hosting your own server is beneficial (e.g. to host any WAD with the flags, mods, etc. you want), and I do agree that people shouldn't complain about the lack of servers if they aren't hosting themselves, but I just thought this statement seemed a little dismissive of people that want to add to the online playerbase.

Edited by noisebloom

Your options these days are to either hope a good server happens to be running when you log on, or going to multiple discords and asking people if they want to join you. No one will mind if you ask for games in multiple Doom discord servers - that’s what they’re there for, after all.

Make sure you have all 3 of the multiplayer ports set up. Between Zand and Zdaemon, there’s almost always a handful of active coop or survival servers running.

On 2/24/2020 at 6:55 PM, noisebloom said:

This is a little preposterous as a blanket statement. I'm perfectly willing to host servers and pull in interested participants, but there are a ridiculous number of empty servers that just remain running, or people that host servers that very few others join. It seems like there's a disproportionately high number of people that want to provide the service rather than using the service, so my intuition tells me it would add more to the multiplayer community to join existing servers and add the the multiplayer discussion, which may in turn bolster the support of these servers.

Edit: I will add that there are many cases in which hosting your own server is beneficial (e.g. to host any WAD with the flags, mods, etc. you want), and I do agree that people shouldn't complain about the lack of servers if they aren't hosting themselves, but I just thought this statement seemed a little dismissive of people that want to add to the online playerbase.

A large majority of these empty servers are hosted in locations that are not desirable for most people to play in, are not good services (laggy, prone to crashing, lack of admin contact/availability). This has been the reality of multiplayer doom for at least 15 years. The reality is that if you want to play games, you have to be the leader to corral people. You're not fighting available contact, you're fighting a deeply apathetic and lazy playerbase. Most of whom aren't even on discords! For example, my discord has more than 600 people but I'd be damned if I ever saw more than 30 of these same names in a game at any point in the last 3 years.

If you want to use what is available, the same principle still applies. You have to drag people out to those empty servers, being mindful of their locations in conjunction to time zones and audience (don't try to get european/american players joining aussie servers, or euros joining west coast american, etc)

11 minutes ago, Decay said:

A large majority of these empty servers are hosted in locations that are not desirable for most people to play in, are not good services (laggy, prone to crashing, lack of admin contact/availability). This has been the reality of multiplayer doom for at least 15 years. The reality is that if you want to play games, you have to be the leader to corral people. You're not fighting available contact, you're fighting a deeply apathetic and lazy playerbase. Most of whom aren't even on discords! For example, my discord has more than 600 people but I'd be damned if I ever saw more than 30 of these same names in a game at any point in the last 3 years.

If you want to use what is available, the same principle still applies. You have to drag people out to those empty servers, being mindful of their locations in conjunction to time zones and audience (don't try to get european/american players joining aussie servers, or euros joining west coast american, etc)

Thanks for the explanation. I always had a "grass is greener on the other side" mentality when it came to how much activity was ostensibly organized in the Discords, but it sounds like not much is happening... though it also seems to me like there is a real possibility of resurrecting some interest, just based on how much activity there is on this forum. Seems like new members are constantly popping up and sharing their new WADs/creations.

I'll plan on advertising some weekly/bi-weekly cooperative events and see how they fare.

I tried to join the MP classic Doom discord channel but the app is a complete disaster, you can't even log in since the start session concept doesn't even exist. They say i must confirm "this" account. I already installed discord on my phone, then i uninstalled it due to lack of space. Now i can't "confirm THIS? account" since my email is already registered. I guess i must create a new account for every device?

I want to create a RUDE server to play Ultimate Doom on Unholy Massacre with backpacks.

1 hour ago, drfrag said:

I tried to join the MP classic Doom discord channel but the app is a complete disaster, you can't even log in since the start session concept doesn't even exist. They say i must confirm "this" account. I already installed discord on my phone, then i uninstalled it due to lack of space. Now i can't "confirm THIS? account" since my email is already registered. I guess i must create a new account for every device?

I want to create a RUDE server to play Ultimate Doom on Unholy Massacre with backpacks.

This has nothing to do with the discord channel. When you register a Discord account, it wants you to confirm that its you through email address. It may even want to do ask that again if you are on mobile aswell.

If your phone has lack of space, try cleaning out its .thumbnail map. I find that in Android atleast that map heavily polutes internal memory.

20 hours ago, noisebloom said:

Thanks for the explanation. I always had a "grass is greener on the other side" mentality when it came to how much activity was ostensibly organized in the Discords, but it sounds like not much is happening... though it also seems to me like there is a real possibility of resurrecting some interest, just based on how much activity there is on this forum. Seems like new members are constantly popping up and sharing their new WADs/creations.

I'll plan on advertising some weekly/bi-weekly cooperative events and see how they fare.

There are, unfortunately, very very few multiplayer wads being made. There are variety of reasons for this, but overall has to do with the general decline of the playerbase. Making mods/modifiers is easier and easier to be memey with, so that tends to be more popular these days rather than map packs.

Setting up some survival events would probably get you somewhere, I'd consult with the people running those kinds of events to see what their experience has been.

1 hour ago, drfrag said:

Sorry, this was part of the discord's security options, I disallowed anyone without a verified account due to previous instances of trolling and undesirables joining. I try to run a mostly tight ship that clamps down on negative behaviours between players, which results in some security netting and tossing out people who can't communicate like a normal person.

The problem is with discord itself. I don't want to register an account i want to log in using my existing account.

Only 400 MB left on my phone, i can't even update installed apps.

About that coop run may be i'll create another thread, the idea is of course to register with the Choco master server.

The USQC link in the OP seems to be dead, could someone provide a working one?

@Ralphis
Hey Ralphis,
The invite to USQC Expired, and it should be noted we have updated our name to "USDQC" or "U.S. Doom & Quake Community."

Here is the permanent, updated invite link:
https://discord.gg/6U9RtT7

Also thanks Doomkid!

Edited by Zillah

I started a new discord meant for zandronum. if anyone is interested here is the link https://discord.gg/ccJQABYYyR
I have a dedicated server for the discord. I will run it once a few people join.

Doom related or not feel free to drop a link to your server here. You might get some new members :) Don't forget to ad a little discretion and don't just post the link. Describe what your server is about and why you made it.

I am actually very surprised that this topic has not been made yet. Well at least I think it doesn't exist yet.

I'll go first:

This is my discord server I made it yesterday and it's mostly for doom but it doesn't have to. Feel free to get my attention there if you want me to play your map(s). I will also post every video I make there and you can also see my playtest requests list. I hope I can see you there ;)

https://discord.gg/zbKh8GRMBZ

Edited by azerty

Good idea a lot of interesting things happen on discord. In fact I wasn't going to get it for the longest time but finally got talked into it and have a server of my own as well

https://discord.gg/Em9XjBwmQP 

We actually made a couple projects on here you guys may remember. Chilled chicken and Christmas cheer from The chill zone. 

I really enjoy the community atmosphere. I also like to have fun time light hearted chats as well about all sorts of random topics. My wife is making me meatloaf pizza today I'm so excited!