Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Do you like horror games? Why?

I recommend AoM Director's Cut -- the original has a charm all its own, though, to be sure. Just be sure to make batteries give more power in skill.cfg or you'll be sitting in the dark a lot.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:03 PM, Voros said:

They can be quite fun. If you're patient enough.

Yep, there's the rub. The new generation, used to 60 fps first-person 3d games might not be able to handle the slow pace.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:23 AM, dethtoll said:

Can't go wrong with Colossal Cave Adventure or Zork.

Favorites of mine!

On 6/24/2017 at 0:15 AM, KVELLER said:

I've never played one of them. Maybe I should try one sometime.

On 6/24/2017 at 11:53 AM, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I've been meaning to try them out. Downloaded the Zork trilogy, but haven't actually played them yet.

Here's why they are so cool: A graphics game shows you the artist's interpretation of the scene...maybe, unless they ran out of time, budget, artistic ability, interest, technology, etc.

But, with a text adventure game, you read the description of the scene, and you imagine *exactly* how each area looks. It is amazing - you feel as if you've been to each location, and you develop detailed images, in your mind, of each tree, door, temple, gold coin, orc, serpent, statue, etc. The scene is built inside your head, which makes it more real and personal than you could ever get, being shown the scene. Everyone should try it. They can get frustrating, though, cause you have to think.

18 hours ago, kb1 said:

But, with a text adventure game, you read the description of the scene, and you imagine *exactly* how each area looks. It is amazing - you feel as if you've been to each location, and you develop detailed images, in your mind, of each tree, door, temple, gold coin, orc, serpent, statue, etc. The scene is built inside your head, which makes it more real and personal than you could ever get, being shown the scene. Everyone should try it. They can get frustrating, though, cause you have to think.

The IF game Hunter, in Darkness is my go-to example of a game that makes really good use of descriptive text, not just to communicate environmental detail but also to build up different emotional states in the player - paranoia, claustrophobia, tension, panic.  It's not strictly speaking a horror game, but it does make the tale of hunting a monster through a dark cave system a horrific one.

1 hour ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

The IF game Hunter, in Darkness is my go-to example of a game that makes really good use of descriptive text, not just to communicate environmental detail but also to build up different emotional states in the player - paranoia, claustrophobia, tension, panic.  It's not strictly speaking a horror game, but it does make the tale of hunting a monster through a dark cave system a horrific one.

Ok, you got me interested - I just found download links for the game, and the z-code interpreter that hosts the game. I had forgotten that these are called IFs now... I'll let you know how far I get :)