Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baragon29

Free Doom Legacy (Wad Proposal)

I don't know much about modding, although I hope to teach myself.  Would anyone be interested in working on a FreeDoom 2 compatible mod that takes all of the older, no longer used maps, enemy designs, weapons, decorations, etc from FreeDoom and FreeDoom 2 in order to create kind of a "Beta Recreation?"

A lot of the old stuff is just unfinished stuff. You would have to clean them up yourself if you want something decent as the end result. 

Many maps are just crap, unplayable placeholders, while some are just not that great/fun.

The assets tends to be childish/soulless/ugly/inconsistent. Take a look at the the old IoS death sound, which was just a child making fake screams and choking noises.

But let's you do clean them up. Then what? You need a vision to make something cohesive and fun. Mashing them all together like all the Realm667 randomiser mods are just boring and filesize tend to be bloated.

Get a goal, then start building your mod.

The first version of Freed∞m that I played was v0.7, and I still have very fond memories of it. Since the massive art updates thanks to our awesome contributors, the thought of a retro IWAD occurred to me several times. As far as I can tell, there are two possible approaches:

a) Take the most recent retro style IWAD (v0.8) and polish it, since a lot of art and maps have been replaced since this release and are completely different from their current counterparts. By "polish" I mean stuff like making sure all letters in the old font have the same width, clean up the edges of the Pain Lord sprites etc.

b) Take as many usable assets from the attic, including espi's STARTAN textures, the old version of pinky etc. (much of this is found in the leftover WAD), and replace as many of the current art with older versions as possible, provided that these are of decent quality. This might also involve polishing as described above, but since the end result will not match any of the older IWADs, I think it is possible to make more radical changes, like re-purposing certain sprites. For example, the original version of the Revenant/Dark Soldier could be used as a Baron replacement.

3 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

The first version of Freed∞m that I played was v0.7, and I still have very fond memories of it. Since the massive art updates thanks to our awesome contributors, the thought of a retro IWAD occurred to me several times. As far as I can tell, there are two possible approaches:

a) Take the most recent retro style IWAD (v0.8) and polish it, since a lot of art and maps have been replaced since this release and are completely different from their current counterparts. By "polish" I mean stuff like making sure all letters in the old font have the same width, clean up the edges of the Pain Lord sprites etc.

b) Take as many usable assets from the attic, including espi's STARTAN textures, the old version of pinky etc. (much of this is found in the leftover WAD), and replace as many of the current art with older versions as possible, provided that these are of decent quality. This might also involve polishing as described above, but since the end result will not match any of the older IWADs, I think it is possible to make more radical changes, like re-purposing certain sprites. For example, the original version of the Revenant/Dark Soldier could be used as a Baron replacement.

You could use the old green shotgun from 0.3 by fredrik. That shotty was nice!

shtga0.gif

The old shotgun is probably one of the better unused sprites, but there's a reason why the game sticks with centred weapons. Without a crosshair, this shotgun is pretty hard to aim — I've played the old IWADs where this is used (and also newer ones with the leftover PWAD) in MBF, and this is really not convenient.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:15 PM, baragon29 said:

I don't know much about modding, although I hope to teach myself.  Would anyone be interested in working on a FreeDoom 2 compatible mod that takes all of the older, no longer used maps, enemy designs, weapons, decorations, etc from FreeDoom and FreeDoom 2 in order to create kind of a "Beta Recreation?"

I know I'm bumping a old thread here, but I did something similar to this with Phase 1's levels here. 

And I will be doing the same thing for Phase 2. :)