Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

Why do monsters not growl when beating other monsters in PrBoom?

I've noticed recently that, using PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, when a monster defeats another monster during infighting, it doesn't growl in victory. This is one of my favourite features in Doom and I'm intrigued why this doesn't happen with this port, at least it doesn't happen to me. 

May I mention I only use that port for boom compatible wads (complevel 9), maybe it's related with that complevel, who knows?

Growling means player discovered by the monster , right? Not because of the victory.

Yes, and also a monster may growl when defeating another monster during infighting. Haven't you ever heard a Cyberdemon growling many times when mowing a horde of mid-tiers? 

9 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Yes, and also a monster may growl when defeating another monster during infighting

There is no such code for that in Doom. They only ever play their alert sound (their see sound) when going from idle to active.

What you are noticing is that Boom changed the code to prevent enemies from falling asleep after killing their target if they still had another valid target, which PRBoom naturally includes. Complevel 2 restores that. Eternity also has a method of restoring it in Boom complevels.

To go a little more in-depth, what happens is that if a monster's target dies, the monster normally goes back into its idle state. However, usually the monster will be in a sector where the player has fired a gun at least once already, and so the monster immediately wakes back up from that to target the player again, and does its wakeup growl again.

I've never heard this behavior referred to as a "victory" growl, but I like the idea of it.

I love it when Doom's quirks or bugs can be interpreted as demon intelligence or part of the lore or mystique of the game :D

When I was very young I was convinced that some monsters were staying back to ambush me, in reality they would get stuck in a room corner and unable to follow me.

As far as I can tell, Prboom+ is behaving correctly. In vanilla complevels it acts the way vanilla Doom does, and in Boom complevels it depends on the setting chosen for "Remember Previous Enemy" (an option introduced in the original Boom, and preserved in Prb+: see "Options - SetUp - Enemies" in the in-game menu). To have them "growl", set this option to "No".

If you feel it isn't emulating these exes correctly, record a demo and check how the sounds compare when playing it back in Prboom+ and the exe it is emulating.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

If you feel it isn't emulating these exes correctly, record a demo and check how the sounds compare when playing it back in Prboom+ and the exe it is emulating.

Probably this is asked so many times, if so, I apologize for this. Can I run GLBoom+ like ".../glboom-plus.exe -complevel 2" to emulate vanilla doom without recording? I ran this and tried to knock somebody off the ledge and it didn't work, so I assume it works, if being able to knock somebody off is a -complevel 9 thing?

Yes, you don't have to record anything to use a complevel.

There's also a "default complevel" option somewhere in the menu, if you don't want to specify some often-used complevel every time.

6 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Yes, you don't have to record anything to use a complevel.

There's also a "default complevel" option somewhere in the menu, if you don't want to specify some often-used complevel every time.

Thanks for the answer. I found the default. One more thing is that on -complevel 2, the bridges don't work, so it affects the game. One thing that annoys me is that this command doesn't actually change the "doom compatibility" setting in the menu, so you can't compare the differences.

12 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

One thing that annoys me is that this command doesn't actually change the "doom compatibility" setting in the menu, so you can't compare the differences.

That's because there are no differences to compare: complevel has very little to do with the Doom Compatibility submenu. MBF allowed for a number of previously-fixed behaviors to be switched on or off at will, meaning that at cl11 (with a few extra requiring a prboom-plus complevel) the configuration of menu options are directly linked to the gameplay you get. Anything below cl11, however, is effectively ignored, which is why complevels like cl2 (Doom2 1.9) and cl9 (Boom 2.02) are so valued.

When you choose a complevel, you're choosing to run the game exactly according to the behaviors of the engine selected. Applying a complevel performs a number of changes outside of that menu which aren't emulated simply by setting menu values on or off. (The exception to this is overflow emulation, though these can provide warnings for those interested in the details.) You can, however, start prboom-plus with a given complevel and then change the behavior after game start from the menu: I suppose that, since opening the menu at a low complevel would break a demo anyway, this wasn't deemed important.

Oh, because I always think of the same thing in GZDoom due to the Doom (Strict) and Boom (strict) presets there. I am always amazed that Captain knows so much in details, and it's always informative to read the post.

19 hours ago, Linguica said:

I've never heard this behavior referred to as a "victory" growl, but I like the idea of it.

I like the idea of it too, and it does kind of take away a small part of the experience when playing in ports with the new behavior. It'd be cool as an actual (optional) feature. Don't fall asleep, but do make the alert sound when they have defeated an opponent and still have valid targets on their list. Should be done purely cosmetically without affecting demo sync, if at all possible.

19 hours ago, Grazza said:

"Remember Previous Enemy" (an option introduced in the original Boom, and preserved in Prb+: see "Options - SetUp - Enemies" in the in-game menu).

THIS!!!