Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

Best Versions of Duke Nukem 3D & Expansions?

I'm trying to figure out what the best versions of the game and expansions are that I should get. I was looking at the Duke Nukem 3D Wikipedia page and there are several editions and expansions listed.

It seems I would need to get all of the following:

Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour since main game has extra episode not available in earlier packs.

Megaton Edition since expansions will likely have better graphics just like the main game does.

Duke: The Apocalypse for Duke!ZONE 1 & II and Duke Xtreme expansions.

Duke Assault Expansion: This isn't in any of the game packs

Duke Nukem's Penthouse Paradise Expansion: This isn't in any of the game packs

Duke - It's Zero Hour Expansion: This isn't in any of the game packs.

Is that correct?

Also I was wondering if the Megaton Edition has improved graphics for just the main game or is it also for the expansions in the pack as well?

Same question for the Kill-a-Ton GOG Collection (2015)?

People say its the Megaton Edition since it includes The main game and 3 more Expansion packs

I want to buy the 20Th Anniversary World Tour since it has a new Episode and the new Render mode but ill wait until an offer appears

The original Atomic Edition is still the best i recommend using EDuke32 to play it

If you want to get right into the action then get the Anniversary version and play all those episodes. Looks good and has a lot of content, a rewind system, multiplayer etc. I recommend this, don't worry too much about nitpicking tryhards. It is missing some of the later episodes but has a brand new one.

If you want to have more control and options, then there is the eduke32 source port. Like in Doom, you need the game resources to play them. In other words, you have to buy them, doesn't matter how or where, you just need the episode files to plug into eduke32.

The Megaton Edition isn't available to purchase anymore and AFAIK no legal means of acquiring it (unless you are buying it off someone else who has a code which tend to be marked up higher than World Tour's price)

It includes three episodes not included in the World Tour version however these range from terrible (Nuclear Winter) to pretty aight (Life's a Beach) and while it's unfortunate these aren't available in WT, you aren't missing out a whole lot. The new episode for World Tour also isn't anything to write home about; it's fun while it lasts but it isn't worth the asking price alone.

Both versions have a number of small differences that if you just want to play Duke3D you probably won't notice.

If you get anything other than World Tour, definitely use EDuke32

Atomic Edition obviously, as for expansions, i'd say Duke it out in D.C is a pretty solid expansion, had a lot of fun playing it, play it with Jimmy's music pack though, Life's a Beach is good, Nuclear Winter is meh, could have been better, though i'd recommend using EDuke32.

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the Megaton Edition has improved graphics for just the main game or is it also for the expansions in the pack as well?

7 minutes ago, Havok said:

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the Megaton Edition has improved graphics for just the main game or is it also for the expansions in the pack as well?

The graphics are pretty much the same as the original version

The only difference is the resolution and other stuff i guess

The World Tour version does have a new render which makes the game look like real ''3D''

48 minutes ago, Havok said:

You are not supposed to use the old-ass Megaton engine. You are supposed to get the episode files from it (the equivalent of the Doom Iwads) and use them with eduke32 (which is an awesome source port, the equivalent of GZDoom) Also, the Megaton edition is not for sale.

Or you buy the Anniversary Edition on Steam. This is a good option, too.

Fortunately I still have my original Duke 3D CD and the Atomic Edition CD, so my files I use with EDuke32 are legit from the original discs. I also bought Megaton before it got removed and I'm glad I did, so I can always have the games to my account, also a legal and easy way to get the expansions. Too bad it got removed, way better deal than World Tour.