Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Confinement Community Project. (Project Released!) (Boom Compatible!)

As it currently stands, I'd prefer people to just build within the restrictions, to allow them a bit more creativity. It would add a bit of variance into the wad as well, with things being different sizes.

Project is now officially launched! All authors interested feel free to make a map by november 30th, Send me Private IMs or reply to this topic if you have any questions!

Just to add, anyone interested in testing the maps as they come out, drop me a private IM and I'll make sure you get the maps as they come.

remember when I said I want to experiment with certain RPG map generator? I think this will work well with this project :p

aaaaaaaa.png

confinement.PNG

@Bonfac you have to add/import them to your map. if you set it as a base resource, something weird will happen.

53 minutes ago, Bonfac said:

Question, do i need to include cc4 as a base resource with iwad, or do i need to add them myself?

If you would like, just add it as a resource in doom builder. I will be adding it to the wad once its finished, but for the time being I'll just be sure to load it with the texture wad.

1 hour ago, ImpMan11203 said:

sounds fun. I'm in!

Fantastic! Feel free to build whatever you want, how you want. Let me know if you have any questions!

I tested the 2 maps for now and this is the result (btw, I played in UV for both maps):

@Bonfac

• The map is excellent for map 01, simple and not hard.
  • The layout is pretty straight-forward, go for keys and search for exit with some resistance.
  • There are notorious misalignment, horizontal and vertical but that can be fixable in no time and it has no impact in gameplay.
  • Overall, it's a nice beginning for this megawad. You nailed it.

@Pinchy

• This map was fairly hard. I cleared the map in the second try, just to get an idea.
  • The teleport action in both sides of the map was a nice touch. It's also a strategical way of avoiding some monster traps.
  • The secret helped me a lot. Some health/armor items and the rocket box were necessary for the last part, especially for the archvile/chaingunner combo. 
  • I used the chainsaw a lot too for the corner trap. It kept the cacos and pinkys at bay while the revenant was firing at me and also I did some infighting.
  • Overall, it's a good map where the player must be alert at all times. Fortunately you put some barrels to the arachnotron which was a good idea. Solid map.

The lift where it take you to the red key and where the ambushes are (the lone HK and the one before the blue door where the HK and the BoH is). And that's it.

Time to sleep for me...

11 minutes ago, Bonfac said:

Where exactly?

If you would like Bonfac I can fix up any misalligned textures for you, but you're more than welcome to do it yourself, or even leave it as it is if thats intended.

wip shot, kinda looks messy from this angle, not sure what to do with the silver area.

Screenshot_Doom_20170624_034820.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170624_035503.png

Edited by SArais

I think music should be MIDI format as usual(unless someone sacrifes their music for project ;) ) . I read first post and thought that instantly. Anyway, I'm going to start draw map and reach my own goals today. 

I pretty much burned myself out on Confinement 256 so I'll be passing on contributing for this one. I look forward to playing it very much though!

Just had one thought though reading this thread:

On 6/21/2017 at 7:30 AM, bonnie said:

so please dont let two or three people wanting to map in zdoom format ruin it for everybody (unless you get like 20 people wanting to map for zdoom, then go for it i guess)

I know GZDoom gets a bad rap around here, but honestly I am so glad we used it for Confinement 256. We got some infinitely more interesting maps thanks to it's features than we would have just sticking to plain old Boom.

@SArais Your map looks incredible. keep it up! once its done, let me know what you want it called, and ill add it to the list!

Quickly tested one idea I had and it worked, so Im in! I am going to make something crazy with boom.

3 hours ago, muumi said:

Quickly tested one idea I had and it worked, so Im in! I am going to make something crazy with boom.

Fantastic! Welcome to the project!

some more tweaking. got some monster and thing placements down but not certain what to insert into buildings and flesh the map out more. hm.

Screenshot_Doom_20170624_131351.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170624_131359.png

There's cacodemons in the FIREBLU but unfortunately the player can fall into their pits. Hm. Must find a workaround.

Edited by SArais

Just now, Barons O' Fun said:

what are the advantages of Boom? I've never even heard of it til now

Boom is very similar to vanillia doom. it has a few extra features, but nothing as numerous as zdoom and gzdoom formats. Boom is generally prefered by a lot of people due to how close it plays to vanillia.

1 hour ago, Phade102 said:

@SArais Boom doesnt have a block players tag like UDMF, yeah? I'm not sure what to suggest, but its looking fantastic.

The thing is that the player should be able to cross freely over these.

I'll see what I can figure out. Push comes to shove I'll just do a 1 unit box around them and raise a thing so player doesnt' just bumble into them.

c1024.png

On 2017-6-21 at 3:28 PM, rdwpa said:

Repopulation is a good device, as is transformation

Just look at Map26 of Going Down. While not 1024in size, it certainly is a good example of how a map can drastically transform.