Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Confinement Community Project. (Project Released!) (Boom Compatible!)

Gotta nice central concept but I worry it may take up too much of the space to be effective for this sort of project. Gonna toy around with it more.

@CzechMate29200 played your map and have some feedback.

Map have very scarce medikits, better to place more medikits. If you don't know where to place medikits just spread them on the map.

Windows between areas, different height variations? I've not saw this...

What is the point of archviles in cages when they are helpless anyway?

Cacos and P.Elementals stucked in front of trees/pillars, even can not fly forward... Flying monsters must fly: from pits/holes, from barriers, from above, e.t.c, not just moving in corridors. Another caco stucked in imp.

Rev behind the blue bars is also helpless. But it's good area to place chaingunner(s) there.

Years ago, my first maps even being simplier and dull. One of the ways how to create an proper map is play different wads and look on details and stuff, how different people can do... And feedback from other users is very important. Back in the days, when I read mini-reviews for my maps, it is give me a ton of motivation - in result I made megawad myself (though it have very different ratings, from 1 to 5 stars).

@Phade102 will you update the first post? I already have some sketches for my map.

P.S. that "smears" from screenshots above is called HOM http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hall_of_mirrors_effect

Edited by riderr3

thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm just gonna trash that one and start over. I got some pretty sweet ideas for this one (I think).

this new one will be more open and different heights.

13 hours ago, CzechMate29200 said:

@7Soul wow, looks great! Nice job!

Just noticed a few of these little smears (dont know the official name for those). Besides that, it looks very nice

What port are you playing on? In GZDoom these don't happen, but looks like maybe I didn't make the skies the right way. Can anyone check my map and see what's the matter?

If the aim is for the maps to be Boom compatible, test them in Boom or PrBoom.

GZDoom tends to be much more forgiving of these things--by default HOM areas are rendered in non-offensive ways and if there's a sky texture involved may not show up at all. Learned this the hard way when I first loaded up my recent debut map in PrBoom-Plus! The good news is they're usually not too hard to fix.

@7Soul Please ensure you are testing with boom, as that is the port we are going for. its one thing to make it in boom format, but using gzdoom as your test port will still hide a lot of issues that will crop up if its played in boom.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:30 PM, Big Ol Billy said:

INVASION OF THE IMPLINGS

Didn't officially claim a spot but I got inspired after finishing another map. Maybe this would work for the project? My inspiration was to use imps as lemmings walking monotonously off a cliff (in this case, into a teleporter). My dream would be to have a MIDI of Van der Graaf Generator's "Lemmings" as the music, which I'd be happy to take a crack at once I get my MIDI setup worked out. (Current music is "Stereo Protect" from Pulseman on the Sega Genesis.)

I tried to push myself to get a little tougher and channel my inner franckFRAG. Really enjoyed the chance to explore the cc4 texture pack!

Fun concept. I'd still classify this as an easy map -- a five-minute map that can kill you a few times is one I'd put in 'easy' territory. The two revenants at the back are barely in autoaim range, which makes killing them prolonged and inefficient without freeaim. The secret BFG would be a pain to get (and use properly) in a fast-paced maxrun. 

On 6/26/2017 at 4:34 PM, muumi said:

Boom! Done. First version atleast..

No difficulty settings yet and some polishing is needed, but I would like to get feedback. It is kinda mega version of those classic train maps with a twist. Playable area is 2048x1024. 

Download : Flying Thing

Awesome staging here. I did a max. I found a way to use the secret BFG effectively, but it requires some luck (cyber has to remain distracted by infighting on the other side and not wander over to you.

Spoiler

Thanks for the comments @rdwpa. Interesting to hear a different perspective on the difficulty--such a tricky thing to gauge. I wondered about the revenants in the back while making it, perhaps I should rethink or at least make them more easily targetable. I'm not sure they really add anything right now, since there's plenty to keep you moving in the towers until the end. The positioning was a bit of an oversight: I almost always play freelook when I have the option (hate me if you must, I think it makes Doom better!) so it's easy to overlook certain things when I just do an occasional no-freelook playtest as a quick check.

Oh I didn't even know Boom was a port, I thought it was just a map format.

So I downloaded it from Doomworld but when I try to open it, it says my PC can't run it... what do I do???

EXHIBITIONISM v3 v4 (almost certainly final version I swear)

Music: "Computer Zone" from Lemmings 3D

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170701_201630.png.c5a2f0af3b05651cca9f6d7d9ff5541a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170701_201822.png.18730e3e21c019b1408e3833673c102c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170701_201615.png.d49979f7002764ab0c0f6cc22aaa5ee6.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170701_201852.png.923eaf9020e1cd219eebd48535d5126f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170701_202015.png.b4cb1ad2490af78a71fc6863f5ef2466.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170701_201517.png.cd25c20f5078c5a4df19c1bbb77a4e92.png

Getting this off my plate for now while I work on my Joy of Mapping submission. This was inspired by a new exhibit at the Rubin Museum of Art in NYC, but mostly by the museum's architecture itself. True to the name, it plays with lines of sight and visibility, and features what is hopefully a nerve-wracking finale. There's also a demonic art gallery! My first foray into voodoo doll "scripting." Play area is 2048x2048.

Second update:

• fixed a monster that would sometimes not teleport in
  • one encounter has been tweaked
  • minor cosmetic work

Edited by Big Ol Billy

I got stuck in my first playthrough because I immediately left the last area upon the light getting darker, so I was marooned in some out-of-play area. 

FDA and the immediate (somewhat impatient) follow-up, summing to about 20 minutes of playtime: eh_rd_fdas.zip

Wasn't a fan of the chaingunners behind the windows at the red key, because they are so awkward to kill. Some crushers timed via a voodoo doll, set to dispose of them at some point later, would be really cool. The ammo situation sort of makes chainsawing all those pinkies a good idea, which I personally wasn't in love with. The last part is scary because cybers, but isn't so harsh objectively.  Overall it was an enjoyable map.

5959576f441c3_serapis(1).jpg.4a614fce3d61fa1c9629c2a0494c2afa.jpg595957761dde1_serapis(2).jpg.6daa82e1c0f707e0b8392182282cf789.jpg5959577ca68e0_serapis(3).jpg.1fdaf5749dcc24f6d42032aa4e15bfad.jpg5959578531a54_serapis(4).jpg.ba08a6c19db1f42666921dc0a3f9d494.jpg

Heres my progress...the map looks plain because of the same textures but im gonna fix that. This map has a new name, "Serapis". The principles are the same is the previous, but the design is completely different (and better). Its a small floating city in hell. Tell me what you think so far! :)

Done.

"Watery ledges" by riderr3
For Confinement Community Project

Advanced engine needed: Boom
Music: "Claustrophobia" by ClumsyDoomer
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Other files required: cc4-tex.wad
Build Time: 6 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/file/u1tl5pbd3f8jba4/watledgs.zip

@CzechMate29200 yeah you should check out this cc4 textures, I found there are many useful. My level in the style of the jungle/stone, in order to diversify your hellish and tech maps. Maybe someone want to create winter map with those snowy/ice textures...

There has been some hold-ups in my life (need to finish off some music projects with a friend) but I do have the map planned on paper (which is rare for me). Soon it is time to transfer it into a pwad file.

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

There has been some hold-ups in my life (need to finish off some music projects with a friend) but I do have the map planned on paper (which is rare for me). Soon it is time to transfer it into a pwad file.

Please take your time, theres no rush, RL comes before this. You still have plenty of time.