Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Confinement Community Project. (Project Released!) (Boom Compatible!)

Just so everyone interested knows, a new version will be uploaded to idgames soon, with CC4-tex merged in, as well as a large amount of bugfixes. I will make a new post and update the OP when this happens.

The main link now links to an updated version, and (Hopefully) the final version of Confinement! Numerous bugs were fixed, and cc4-tex is now in the wad file! This has increased the file size slightly, but its nothing major. I hope you all enjoy the wad, please let me know any feedback!

Map32, 18 and 19 are absolute 100% trash. Yikes. 19 killed my last incentive to complete this.

The cave ara in Map02, Urbanismo's stairway climb and the dynamic nature of map17 were the highlights, beautiful stuff and stark contrast to the overall quality. 

2 minutes ago, Andy Johnsen said:

Map32, 18 and 19 are absolute 100% trash. Yikes. 19 killed my last incentive to complete this.

The cave ara in Map02, Urbanismo's stairway climb and the dynamic nature of map17 were the highlights, beautiful stuff and stark contrast to the overall quality. 

Wow, you had 1 more map to complete the mapset....shame that you stopped before the ending.

(Sigh) The demos are desynced.

↓ Oh, it seems not only me having this concern...

Edited by GarrettChan

The text file has no list of authors by mapslot and the map names on the automap don't have author names. So if I want to say "Oh, such-and-such had a good map in Confinement CP" and I forget (or didn't originally take note of) who did the map, I have to find an exit to IDCLIP to (if I can even remember where) or open up the wad in SLADE for the end-level graphics. Would suggest addressing that (a list of "MAPXX: Name by Author" in a text file is simple enough). Anyway, grats on the release. :)

Edited by rdwpa

@Andy Johnsen I would have been able to give you a proper response, if you had taken time to give some constructive advice, instead of abusing three mappers who tried their best.

@GarrettChan I apologise for the demos, I've never used them myself, so I'm unsure if theres a fix. I was fine with the original entry (Besides the bugs, of course) but a lot of people wanted cc4 tex added, which maybe broke it.

@rdwpa I understand your concerns about the authors. I should have thought about that before updating the text file, and I deeply apologise. I will update the main thread with a list of authors and their maps, to make it a bit easier.

1 hour ago, Phade102 said:

@Andy Johnsen I would have been able to give you a proper response, if you had taken time to give some constructive advice, instead of abusing three mappers who tried their best.

My constructive advice would be to aim for proper quality control in order to root out hideous maps from the final product, if the goal is to receive grand reviews. Opinions differ, and that's all fine when it's free content. Sometimes it's okay to summarize your impression without having to go through each section of a map to explain why. If that is "abuse" then we have a different viewpoint of the term. As a whole the product is a highly mixed bag in my opinion, and I pointed out what I consider polar highs and lows. Always fun to check out new stuff, regardless. 

@Andy Johnsen I strongly suggest you place a review in the wad's reviews section, pointing out what could be done better, and what was done well. It would help the mappers a lot more to know exactly what you didnt like.

Edited by Phade102

10 hours ago, Andy Johnsen said:

Yeaaa I meant to remap 32.. Got lazy and did some other things. Consider it like an equivalent to "word vomit" or just releasing every bit of frustration I had with the map. I was tired of worrying about our common Doom rules for mapping that I wanted to make something a bit trashy on purpose, Its imperfection is good only in some parts of the design, game play? OOF.. It's simply to claustrophibic, needs more detail both on the out and inside of the map, and a major re hall of the architecture that isn't cramped hallways, maybe i'll make more in the style of what I did for the last part (Same area you fight the spider mastermind). Sorry my map had the be the first to make your stomach growl tho

If the project is finalized, I am not sure why this needs to be updated so frequently... If you're going to do a re-map a certain map, why not save it for the next project or such... There are some maps that I wanted to run, but this frequent update makes me kind of worried about it.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

If you're going to do a re-map a certain map, why not save it for the next project or such...

I think that there's no need to re-release a version of any map used in here and update it. I'm agree with you in that statement. And the updates are usually used for beta versions, not for the final product.

6 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

If the project is finalized, I am not sure why this needs to be updated so frequently... If you're going to do a re-map a certain map, why not save it for the next project or such... There are some maps that I wanted to run, but this frequent update makes me kind of worried about it.

Run the maps you want to run. I will not change anything except map 32, and thats a large if. I know people really want to play it in a stable situation, I completely understand.

@UAC-Janitor Let me know of your progress on the map. I can't gaurentee it in an update (The project has been done for a while, people are playing it) But I would like to see it, especially since map 32 currently is not being recieved well.

5 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

The thing is that I don't want to risk the demo being desynced even though theoretically it shouldn't...

It wont be. If UAC Janitor finishes his map, the upload to the 'updated confinement' will be from outside idgames. The download in idgames right now is the final version, it will not be changed. You are free to play it as you wish without worrying about any changes.

8 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

The thing is that I don't want to risk the demo being desynced even though theoretically it shouldn't...

We'll call it a V2 so it wont be consistantly updated, I'll have this thing for SURE done before we  even reupload the original project.

@UAC-Janitor Please remember this is a boom project, and I'm seeing that you're testing in gzdoom. make sure you test it in boom, but if you get it done ill happily add it as a bonus download. I wont update the original wadfile at this point due to it being done, but Ill upload a new version to idgames with your wad seperately that people can play.

Yes it is absolutely safe to demo. no matter if I update the wad with the new map or not, I will make sure the OLD version or the new version are avaliable as seperate downloads for demo compatibility.

8 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

@GarrettChan I think you can take the above message as an 'it's safe to demo' now. :)

How do you know I wanted to run your map for long? Even though I am neutral to dark maps, your map's fantastic looking attracts me. :D

Separate versions are not a good idea to solve demo compatibility problem because WADs with multiple versions will cause confusion. BtSX E1 is a good example.