Confinement Community Project. (Project Released!) (Boom Compatible!)

21 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Will zdoom in doom format also allow Boom format maps? Like, would the project be fine with both?

yes but it will require people to use zdoom ports to play the whole thing, unless they specifically pick out and -warp to boom and vanilla compatible maps

 

so please dont let two or three people wanting to map in zdoom format ruin it for everybody (unless you get like 20 people wanting to map for zdoom, then go for it i guess)

Edited by bonnie

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, bonnie said:

yes but it will require people to use zdoom ports to play the whole thing, unless they specifically pick out and -warp to boom and vanilla compatible maps

 

so please dont two or three people wanting to map in zdoom format ruin it for everybody (unless you get like 20 people wanting to map for zdoom, then go for it i guess)

I will definitely run it by everyone once we get more authors. Thanks Bonnie.

Share this post


Link to post

Repopulation usually looks like a desperate and futile attempt to prolong the gameplay without really offering anything new. You don't need to do it. It's fine if your level takes 30 seconds to beat.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Memfis said:

Repopulation usually looks like a desperate and futile attempt to prolong the gameplay without really offering anything new.

Simple solution: make sure it offers something new. Also, repopulation doesn't have to be blanketing an area with warped-in monsters (even though that can be fun too) -- it can be something like cylindrical pillars that were visible at the start of the level opening up, with a monster coming out of each one, or bookshelves lowering to reveal monsters, or a vile and some revs warping in as new barriers rise.

 

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Simple solution: make sure it offers something new. Also, repopulation doesn't have to be blanketing an area with warped-in monsters (even though that can be fun too) -- it can be something like cylindrical pillars that were visible at the start of the level opening up, with a monster coming out of each one, or bookshelves lowering to reveal monsters, or a vile and some revs warping in as new barriers rise.

 

 

Good advice (a couple of those examples sound kinda familiar! :P). I think good repopulation can allow the mapper and player to explore the possibilities of a given space. The same area plays and feels amazingly different when you're facing a horde of pinkies that keeps you moving vs. two arch-viles that force you to find cover vs. a cyberdemon that makes you avoid walls that can cause splash damage. Obviously, weapon/powerups and changes in the geometry (opening up/closing off areas) can contribute in similar ways. If you string the encounters together into a compelling gameplay "narrative"--or, maybe better, set of narrative possibilities for the player--it can make your maps more memorable because by the end the player has a gone through an evolving relationship with an area. And that can stick in the mind more than a one-off area you just run and gun through. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I'm interested.

 

Maybe I'll aim for 1536 x 1536 (that is 1024 + 512) but 2048 x 2048 is a possibility too.

 

I already have the cc4tex.wad so no problems.

 

Should I aim for vanilla, limit removing (which I prefer), or Boom features?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Rip. here lies my first wad.

Новый точечный рисунок.png

Edited by Bonfac
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Bonfac said:

I just finished map. I made it just for made just 4 u. 
:3

Doom2 format map that can fill in 1024x1024 square.
(There goes my 5 hours of life)

holy heck this isn't a gosh darn speedmapping competition holy muffins

is it actually done? is it playable and good and stuff?

i can't tell because you didn't even include a gosh darn link to the map ya frickin lemon

Share this post


Link to post

Ill put a lil tomstone here.

[Not available]

Edited by Bonfac
rip

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Bonfac said:

(There goes my 5 hours of life)

well, that was quick.

Share this post


Link to post

@Bonfac I gave it a quick play friend, it was wonderful, except is the red key switch supposed to lower everything in the level? I played in prboom+ on -complevel 2.

 

Besides that bug, my only gripe is that the ending should be a little tougher. Maybe throw some chaingunners in or teleport some other bad boys into the room with you, I dunno. Either way, your map would make for a wonderful map01, friend. :3

Share this post


Link to post

That map could benefit from a lot more work, but a speedy and capable mapper can do a lot in five hours with the 1024format, so don't single that out itself before even playing it.


Had to IDCLIP to the blue key in prBoom+, since the lift has no tag. The gameplay is pretty milquetoast, could use some spice. 

 

Edited by rdwpa

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, bonnie said:

@Bonfac I gave it a quick play friend, it was wonderful, except is the red key switch supposed to lower everything in the level? I played in prboom+ on -complevel 2.

 

Besides that bug, my only gripe is that the ending should be a little tougher. Maybe throw some chaingunners in or teleport some other bad boys into the room with you, I dunno. Either way, your map would make for a wonderful map01, friend. :3

No, but i'll try to download prboom, and check what will happen. 
And i'll to make it tougher. maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, pcorf said:

I'm interested.

 

Maybe I'll aim for 1536 x 1536 (that is 1024 + 512) but 2048 x 2048 is a possibility too.

 

I already have the cc4tex.wad so no problems.

 

Should I aim for vanilla, limit removing (which I prefer), or Boom features?

It looks like the consensus is Zdoom in doom format as to what people want. So I think thats what we'll go for, since it allows use of 3d floors. I will add you to the list of authors.

 

@Bonfac That was amazingly fast. well done! I will take a look at it, make sure everything works and add it to the maplist. Is there a specific name you want? It could be a map01 from the way its looking, or map02.

 

I would like to request that each mapper interested in this project, so @bonnie @bzzrak @Royal_Sir @pcorf and everyone else let me know which map format you would prefer. I will of course go with the majority, since I want everyone to enjoy this!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Bonfac said:

No, but i'll try to download prboom, and check what will happen. 
And i'll to make it tougher. maybe.

yeah, unlike other formats, we need to put a tag on lifts. I also just noticed this when I started mapping for boom.

Share this post


Link to post

also @R1ck if you let me know which map format you would prefer/are okay with using, that'd be great

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I grew fond of boom format these couple of weeks. I'd say we go for that.

Share this post


Link to post

Boom seems to be one of the more comfortable formats. I'll have to download prboom or something, i've never actually used it, haha.

Share this post


Link to post

You can count me in, I have idea for map. I would like to create egg shaped base on Boom format. Prboom+ is easy to use with zdl extension,it saves some parametres. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, MysteriousHaruko said:

You can count me in, I have idea for map. I would like to create egg shaped base on Boom format. Prboom+ is easy to use with zdl extension,it saves some parametres. 

Great Haruko, I'll add you to the list! build whatever you want, theres no specific theme, just have fun!

Share this post


Link to post

The only wad which you can't do a 1023px map and a 2049px map. But it's possible to do a 1025*2047px map....

Edited by leodoom85

Share this post


Link to post

I'll do boom or doom. Either one, doesn't matter to me friend. Except it kind of does, because I sure do love me some sky transfers... so I guess put my vote in the boom category for now, friend. c:

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, bonnie said:

I'll do boom or doom. Either one, doesn't matter to me friend. Except it kind of does, because I sure do love me some sky transfers... so I guess put my vote in the boom category for now, friend. c:

Thank you Bonnie. it seems like Boom is a safe middle ground for all. sure, it makes 3d floors and such not avaliable, but it gives the advanced features a lot of people want to use.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Thank you Bonnie. it seems like Boom is a safe middle ground for all. sure, it makes 3d floors and such not avaliable, but it gives the advanced features a lot of people want to use.

But you can do invisible bridges,doors. Actually, you need check wad named "boomedit" or something like that and you get idea what boom format can do in maps ;)

 

Here,video for you 
 

 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

How about restricting X axis to 1024px and 2048 on the Y axis? Or vice versa?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Glaice said:

How about restricting X axis to 1024px and 2048 on the Y axis? Or vice versa?

that's what i said :c

 

stop stealin my ideas ;~;

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now