Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Confinement Community Project. (Project Released!) (Boom Compatible!)

Welcome to Confinement!

(Idgames Link!)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/conf

CC4-tex now combined into the main wad!

This Community project aims for one thing, and one thing only. a set of 32, quality maps, limited to anything between 1024x and 2048x. Here I am hoping you will see a variety of maps from different authors, showing off their talent at making maps that make the most use of a very limited space. If you've played these small map styles before, You will hopefully enjoy what you will see here!

This project is boom compatible, it has been tested, however if you find some bugs please do let me know and I will not only credit you for finding it, I will get the bug fixed!

I want to give a huge shout out to @Dragonfly and @Xyzzy01 for all the help they did on the project. In the end they were the two people that compiled all the music and such into the wad, they are the ones who did the major testing and bugfixing. Without them, this project simply would not have been completed, so thank you both, so much.

Edited by Phade102

Just now, SArais said:

Uhh, mayhaps?

I'll see what I can cook up.

Even if there isn't enough interest for this project, if you finish the map ill happily add it as level 32 in my megawad that i'm building as my main project =) I want your work to be recognised, because I think you're a really good mapper.

Alright, thanks.

Dig about in my maps and see if there's anything in particular you like. Gives me a direction to go with.

11 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

I could make a short vanilla map. If it's 1024, that is. 2048 would take me two months, I don't have that much atm.

1024 would be great! I plan on making the cc4-tex avaliable for people that want to use it, but its by no means forced.

Why don't we build maps on 2048x1024? This concept is more interesting, but it would take some time.

20 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Why don't we build maps on 2048x1024? This concept is more interesting, but it would take some time.

I would include maps using that. I would prefer a project with options, so anything between 1024x1024 to 2048x2048. so go for it! I would appreciate if someone would be able to help me set up the project, since i've never done it before.

First you need define rules,deadline, write authors who interested in your project, give template for main map information. Also, screenshots what you did so far, because people love proofs. I don't know what more you need.

Fun fact, actually i'm making a vanilla mapset based upon weird size restrictions (at the moment I have a 4x4, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 and yesterday I did 192x192 map)... My aim is going until a 5012x5012 map, if I still have interest for this thing...

Anyway, good luck with the project!

38 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

...at the moment I have a 4x4

8b15184504.png

Can't even imagine this one as a playable level. :D

2 minutes ago, antares031 said:

Can't even imagine this one as a playable level. :D

Yeah, is just the player stuck in such little space and pushing the walls beyond you to exit.

One more question about the size, would 1024x1024 (or whatever) be only the playable area or the whole map?

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

5012x5012

You probably meant 1024x5 = 5120. Or I'm just being a smart-ass.

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

4x4

Every day we stray further from god's light.

3 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

First you need define rules,deadline, write authors who interested in your project, give template for main map information. Also, screenshots what you did so far, because people love proofs. I don't know what more you need.

I plan on doing just that, but I want to make sure theres enough interest for that. it looks like there could be...

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

One more question about the size, would 1024x1024 (or whatever) be only the playable area or the whole map?

Only the playable area. You're welcome to make the map bigger, but the player should only be able to access the area defined.

Just now, bzzrak said:

Is UDMF mandatory? o_O

Is there another format you prefer? If you feel another format would recieve a better reception, I"m not opposed to changing.

Ooh, yeah. I love confinement maps.

I'd be interested. Just gotta finish up another map first in 10 days.

1 minute ago, Royal_Sir said:

Ooh, yeah. I love confinement maps.

I'd be interested. Just gotta finish up another map first in 10 days.

Ill add you to the list!

yessir i'd like to do a map yes

i'd like to do a 1024x2048 rectangle because that's what i thought this was gonna be about but then it wasn't

it would be really cool if making the map a 1024x2048 rectangle was actually required, because that would be original and cool and there are already so many 1024 and 2048 projects out there that i think you should be the exception and be the coolest cat on the block but oh well

i'll start the map in boom format, but i'll do vanilla if ya want

also, what are your thoughts on custom textures besides cc4-tex.wad? ya know how other people have that little naming system where I'd name my custom textures BONXXXXX or somethin like that. i probably won't use any custom textures, but it would be nice if you clarified it thank you friend c:

How about if the maps are like the usual 1024x1024 size, but the playable area is the 2048x2048 region outside of it? Like a bit donut or something.

Confiment? sounds dank. when is the deadline though?

7 minutes ago, bonnie said:

yessir i'd like to do a map yes

i'd like to do a 1024x2048 rectangle because that's what i thought this was gonna be about but then it wasn't

it would be really cool if making the map a 1024x2048 rectangle was actually required, because that would be original and cool and there are already so many 1024 and 2048 projects out there that i think you should be the exception and be the coolest cat on the block but oh well

i'll start the map in boom format, but i'll do vanilla if ya want

also, what are your thoughts on custom textures besides cc4-tex.wad? ya know how other people have that little naming system where I'd name my custom textures BONXXXXX or somethin like that. i probably won't use any custom textures, but it would be nice if you clarified it thank you friend c:

Hi Bonnie. that idea is actually really interesting, It would definitely work, but Ill see what I can do after I get all the authors on board.

To be honest, this will be my first project, so I'm hoping I can get someone with experience with previous projects to assist me on it, so Custom textures may be very possible. Boom format will be the go to thing, I believe.

3 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Confiment? sounds dank. when is the deadline though?

Well the project hasn't officially confirmed yet, I need to know who is interested in doing maps for it. Once I get enough on board, I will set a deadline.

Just now, Phade102 said:

Once I get enough on board, I will set a deadline.

Nice, I'm in!

6 minutes ago, Ichor said:

How about if the maps are like the usual 1024x1024 size, but the playable area is the 2048x2048 region outside of it? Like a bit donut or something.

That would fit into the project. I like to give a bit more variety so the authors can be a bit more flexible.

2 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Is there another format you prefer? If you feel another format would recieve a better reception, I"m not opposed to changing.

I'll probably switch from my usual vanilla to ZDoom-in-Doom-format, because my unstoppable creative flow says so. I need those 3D floors.

ZDoom won't mind if you have maps in different formats inside a single WAD, so I don't think that's a problem. If it is, though, I can spend a few days studying the ZDoom wiki and learning basic UDMF. :]

Mmmm that's gonna be one badass map, (just like all of my other maps, because I'm so awesome). B-)

BIG FAT EDIT: ah, OK, Boom's fine too.

Edited by bzzrak

1 minute ago, bzzrak said:

I'll probably switch from my usual vanilla to ZDoom-in-Doom-format, because my unstoppable creative flow says so. I need those 3D floors.

ZDoom won't mind if you have maps in different formats inside a single WAD, so I don't think that's a problem. If it is, though, I can spend a few days studying the ZDoom wiki and learning basic UDMF. :]

Mmmm that's gonna be one badass map, (just like all of my other maps, because I'm so awesome). B-)

Will zdoom in doom format also allow Boom format maps? Like, would the project be fine with both?

Not interested in contributing, but here are some instructive posts on 1024 maps. 

On 10/20/2008 at 6:05 PM, esselfortium said:

Without naming any names here, both to avoid offending people and because this problem applies to the majority of the submitted maps, I really need to stress that a good 1024 layout is one that takes advantage of the space in an interesting and creative way, instead of just trying to build a normal layout at 50% size.

One way to do this is to take advantage of Boom voodoo-scripting or even just normal Doom triggers to move floors and ceilings up and down, to create new paths connecting parts of the map that are inaccessible at the start.

The best kind of 1024 map is one that doesn't feel like it's confined to a small box. This doesn't mean using a lot of rooms and unique areas, but using a few of them well.

On 7/5/2009 at 11:41 PM, esselfortium said:

Yeah, I can agree with that, I think. In my Claus1024 map I tried to keep the layout relatively simple, reuse some of the space, and not make most of the areas too much smaller than I would have if I wasn't working with a size limit. I feel like it worked out pretty well. A lot of the other Claus maps really impressed me, in any case :D

On 11/26/2012 at 0:32 PM, esselfortium said:

I enjoyed building a level for Claustrophobia 1024, and there are certainly some very fun and impressive levels in the set, but to be honest I couldn't get through the whole megawad -- the tendency to build incredibly cramped, mazelike layouts rather than efficiently using the space led to a lot of levels being nearly unplayable.

With 1024 projects, a lot of people try to make 'normal maps', in terms of the number of discrete rooms and areas, that just happen to be really small. Results can be very hit-or-miss. I think a better 'default' approach is to use a smaller number of areas (I'd stick with three primary areas at most) but reuse them well. Repopulation is a good device, as is transformation. A single area can easily take on many different forms, with the help of simple voodoo doll or ACS scripting. For example, you can imagine a rocky area that hosts a fight, has a set of mazy brick barriers rise up, changing the nature of the playspace a lot before it hosts a different fight, and for a final fight, some time later, has the ground give way to damaging lava, with a timed radsuit element. Lots of cool things one can do instead of trying to cram as many one-off areas in as possible.