Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Custom Sprites and Switches in Vanilla Doom2.exe

this is my first time making a map for the plain Doom2.exe

I got a custom sprite replacing gor5a0 and a new switch texture.

well, I know TeamTNT switches.lmp info won't work, and when I have my custom sprite:
(shown in wad as):
s_start
gor5a0
s_end

loaded in the wad, the game crashes! All but the source ports that has boom support only loads the wad without errors.

and how can I get my custom switch texture to work under Vanilla doom 2?

I appriciate any help.

I'm not sure about adding your own -- it may not be directly possible.
I would just make one of the existing switch textures 128x128 instead
of 64x128, and then put your texture beside it. Then whenever you use
the switch, give it an X offset of 64 to see the switch.

What error do you get with the sprite?

If you're not using all the standard switches you can change one of the existing ones...

To add sprites you need to use DEUSF or something similar... doom requires that all the sprites be in the same WAD for it to read them properly, so you need DEUSF to add the rest of the sprites to the PWAD (where sprites will be read from instead of the IWAD). Note: it is the user that runs DEUSF on the PWAD to add the sprites, as distributing PWADs with standard sprites is not allowed (and also makes the ZIP unnecessarily big.)

As Myk said, if you're replacing a Doom 2 sprite, then you need to have all the Doom 2 sprites in the wad. Make sure you don't release it like that, as some people won't appreciate the several megabytes it adds, and it's also illegal :)

However, there is a way to get around needing to do this. If you give the sprite a name that isn't the same as any existing sprites (NGR5A0 for example), you won't need to put all the Doom 2 sprites in the wad.

To use this new sprite, you'll need to use DeHackEd. Before you do, make a back up of doom2.exe. You might want to call it something obvious like 'doom2.bak'. Now load DeHackEd, and press F7. This goes into the text editor, which lets you alter various texts, like the messages at the end of certain levels, and the sprite names the game looks for.

Find the old sprite name (GOR5A0) and change it to the new one (NGR5A0). Save this (press s) as 'whatever.deh' (where whatever is what you want to call it). Now you'll need to press w so that the change is written to the exe.

Don't distribute the altered exe with your wad (something else which is illegal), just the deh file. People can use it to alter their own exe, or load it with -deh or -dehacked in most source ports.

There are two ways to replace switches.

The easy way: replace SW1_SKIN/SW2_SKIN directly with your patches, as that switch has unique patches not used anywhere else in DooM.

The hard way: edit the texture list (this lets you change the patches the texture is made up of) and replace the switch you want rid of with your switch.

For sprites, the easiest way is to use deusf: (as this avoids having a 3+ meg graphics file)

Insert the sprite into your wad as GOR5A0 and save the wad.

Create 2 batch files, one with "deusf - merge yourwad.wad" as the command line, and one with "deusf -restore".

The first one will merge your wad with the main wad (so you can play it with the new sprites) and the second one will restore the main wad to its original state (after you've finished playing it). This process is safe and completely reversible.

NiGHTMARE said:

However, there is a way to get around needing to do this.

(...)

Now load DeHackEd, and press F7. This goes into the text editor, which lets you alter various texts, like the messages at the end of certain levels, and the sprite names the game looks for.

Find the old sprite name (GOR5A0) and change it to the new one (NGR5A0). Save this (press s) as 'whatever.deh' (where whatever is what you want to call it). Now you'll need to press w so that the change is written to the exe.

(...)

NiGHTMARE, this seems interesting. Particularly so for me, since my mini-episode already needs to include a DEH and a couple of modified sprites. Yet, I made a little test WAD, putting the blood splat sprites in a WAD, along with the sprite markers, renaming the sprites to SNGR(etc.) and then made the patch changing BLUD to SNGR. When I ran the modified EXE with the PWAD the game crashed due to sprites missing when it tried to load a map. Thinking about it, I don't see how renaming a resource can help doom2 accept new sprites in a PWAD without the rest of the sprites... the engine is still reading from one place, it's just a name change. If it did really work for you, do you have an example?

Ultimate DooMer said:

(...)

Insert the sprite into your wad as GOR5A0 and save the wad.

Create 2 batch files, one with "deusf - merge yourwad.wad" as the command line, and one with "deusf -restore".

The first one will merge your wad with the main wad (so you can play it with the new sprites) and the second one will restore the main wad to its original state (after you've finished playing it). This process is safe and completely reversible.

Why mess with the IWAD when DEUSF will put them in the PWAD? Unless his HDD is REALLY small!

Because I'm sure he doesn't want to include a 3+ meg graphics file in the zip. If it's possible to create batch files that do the job, then it's ok. I've downloaded wads that use the merge system before, and they work fine.

(I was going to do mine that way, but that was before I converted to ZDooM, which allows you to just stick sprites in using existing sprite names, without any trouble)

Myk: I _think_ you have to only use SS_START and S_END, as S_START and SS_END mess things up.

If you still can't get it to work, I'm afraid I don't have an example wad of my own, but go grab STAIN, as they do it there.

NiGHTMARE said:

Myk: I _think_ you have to only use SS_START and S_END, as S_START and SS_END mess things up.

Cool, it works now. I had used S_START and S_END yesterday, so that was probably the cause of the problem. Thanks!

Ultimate DooMer: You don't get what I'm saying. DEUSF can be used (by the guy about to play the PWAD) to copy the remaining unmodified sprites (right from the user's IWAD) into the PWAD that holds the modified ones. No need to change the IWAD, which one may be using to play also other PWADs (or the standard maps) in the meantime.

But this DEH method is great.