Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Joy of Mapping 4: Summer School - FINAL.

Good to see you continuing this Jimmy :)

Sounds interesting. Some questions:

• is this for Doom or Doom 2?
  • are the themes for the episodes decided yet?
  • do participants have to be present when the event starts? It's like 6 in the morning CEST, which isn't too friendly for us europeans

1 hour ago, boris said:

Sounds interesting. Some questions:

• is this for Doom or Doom 2?
  • are the themes for the episodes decided yet?
  • do participants have to be present when the event starts? It's like 6 in the morning CEST, which isn't too friendly for us europeans

Doom 2, themes are decided on but need further fleshing out, and no, being there when the session starts isn't super important. I want to keep this event casual and non-stressful, which while I've aimed for that for the previous sessions, keeping things running smoothly in time and not rushing the participants has proven a little difficult.

... Maybe I should also give it a go.

Themes will be released once the session starts, at that point the teams will be sorted out. :)

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Themes will be released once the session starts, at that point the teams will be sorted out. :)

How should we decide what episode to map for when we don't know the themes?

Everyone will get to decide on what episode/theme to map for at the same time - that's when the teams will be divided up and the text/voice channels will be opened for each team. I'm not expecting everyone to require the whole 7 days/168 hours of time to finish their map - you can start and finish entirely as you please, with the hard and fast deadline for submissions being July 8th. One of the reasons this session is a week long instead of a few hours is so that people who were previously finding themselves unavailable now have a much larger window of opportunity to attend.

In the meantime, feel free to decide early on if you really want to determine what your place in the project's map roster should be.

Guest Unregistered account

Ooohhhhhh man, I really wanna try and catch this, but timezones are gonna be dicey •^•

I'm up for this. I haven't mapped in months but this is a good enough chance to pick it up again.

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Everyone will get to decide on what episode/theme to map for at the same time - that's when the teams will be divided up and the text/voice channels will be opened for each team. I'm not expecting everyone to require the whole 7 days/168 hours of time to finish their map - you can start and finish entirely as you please, with the hard and fast deadline for submissions being July 8th. One of the reasons this session is a week long instead of a few hours is so that people who were previously finding themselves unavailable now have a much larger window of opportunity to attend.

In the meantime, feel free to decide early on if you really want to determine what your place in the project's map roster should be.

What about people who can't make it to the start of the event? Will they be assigned to a episode randomly?

5 hours ago, boris said:

What about people who can't make it to the start of the event? Will they be assigned to a episode randomly?

No, if folks arrive late, they can just express their interest to join in the session channel. No one will miss the themes' announcement. I'll be posting them on the project's threads (this one and the ZD one), too.

The great things about Discord (which make me prefer it marginally over IRC) are its backlog feature and its ability to "pin" certain important posts to a menu, so users can get necessary info with one click.

edit: post is in response to a since-pruned post

I'm considering having the episodes be selectable through a hub map (which I'd make after the submissions are all together) instead of through the typical episode selection screen.

Apart from that, no. I don't know how many maps we're going to end up with per episode, but combining them all together into one map would be a nightmare - consider the eventual size of the layout, how to tie each map together cohesively, potential tag conflicts to address (every map will have used tag 1 differently, for instance), height differences and clashes, etc., not to mention the potential visual inconsistencies. Way too much work.

Edited by Jimmy

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm considering having the episodes be selectable through a hub map (which I'd make after the submissions are all together) instead of through the typical episode selection screen.

Apart from that, no. I don't know how many maps we're going to end up with per episode, but combining them all together into one map would be a nightmare - consider the eventual size of the layout, how to tie each map together cohesively, potential tag conflicts to address (every map will have used tag 1 differently, for instance), height differences and clashes, etc., not to mention the potential visual inconsistencies. Way too much work.

Wouldn't this be irrelevant, considering it's:

Hub Map > Normal Map (ala typical megawads) > Hub Map?

You're not physically having every map on the same map; just teleports to them with fancy structures/indications. Like the Doom 1 intermission screens, but as an actual playable space.

You shouldn't need to worry about tags on other maps unless they somehow conflict with a map transfer; but then again I've never really gone and done such a thing yet myself.

7 minutes ago, SArais said:

Wouldn't this be irrelevant, considering it's:

Hub Map > Normal Map (ala typical megawads) > Hub Map?

No, the episodes would be accessible from this hub. You'd leave the hub through a portal, to E1M1 for instance, then get to the end of the episode, then get booted back to the hub.

@CaptainManiac I'm not doing a fifth episode unless we have like, a serious overflow of maps that won't feasibly fit into 4 episodes. I'm also not taking ideas on how the project should be structured, or how much more work I should give myself. The project is going to be centered on the work the students are able to produce, not me.

Edited by Jimmy