Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raygun30

Even more sprite help

so i managed to make sprites but there is a white box i used Microsoft paint to edit them but there is this weird white box around it if you know how to remove it i would love to know  

You shouldn't make an entirely new topic for this friend. A simple edit and additional reply on your first one would have sufficed.

There is not export to png with transparency from MS Paint, also there is select object itself in Paint, with transparency on but only to paste back onto other image, to select around edge of object, you then use lasso tools roughly, and copy,
copy as is or with transparency on, you can then paste as is solid white square, or with transparency on , not white box, but it still has original image as backdrop, white or picture.

Use other editors with layers and transparency and save export as png, or animated gif.

I'm using GIMP for image editing
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Another editing tool would be Paint.NET which I highly prefer over GIMP, until they finally release version 2.10 that is supposed to have hardware acceleration. Paint.NET already has this though and is basically just Paint with more functions, like layers and filters.

If you don't know what hardware acceleration is, it basically utilizes your GPU, so applying filters or selecting goes a lot smoother and faster. 

okay ive got a bit of a promblem so when i use GIMP it saves as a file i cant use in SLADE 

@raygun30 Don't save, that just creates a gimp project file. Not sure if you know Photoshop, but it's like .psd files. Basically it's a file that contains all the layers seperately, while when you export the image they get merged down to one layer, so you can't edit things as easily as with a project file.

Instead select "export as" and then choose .png as the filetype.

On another note, DOOM uses light blue as its invisible (non-render) colour. If you pull an existing sprite from DOOM and match that colour for the background of your sprites, everything will be transparent as well.

9 minutes ago, TreeSquid said:

On another note, DOOM uses light blue as its invisible (non-render) colour. If you pull an existing sprite from DOOM and match that colour for the background of your sprites, everything will be transparent as well.

Doom doesn't treat cyan as transparent, that's just an ancient editor convention since back in the early days of doom modding formats with true transparency weren't entirely common. Modern editors like SLADE 3 have entirely abandoned this convention, not implicitly converting cyan into transparency, you need to do that manually with the image format converter. This whole cyan=transparent thing has hamstringed efforts to actually use that color in things.