Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Wolfenstein 3D TC Sprites - How do they work ?

Hi , did anyone check the sprites in pk3 & pk7 files ? 

They aren't in normal sprite format. All of them start with WSPR and a number after it.

I saw this non-standard format in another version of Wolfenstein Guard sprite which It was on Wolf3d EDGE (It has images named Chase1 , Chase2 , Attack , ...)

How is this possible ?

Is there something that renames the sprites to the standard format or what ?

I remember that dear forum experienced members told me that sprites need to be on a standard format

Thanks everyone...

Edited by The Doommer

Textures.txt renames them all.

Did this easily answered question really need a whole thread of its own? And wouldn't it have been better suited to the editing subforum?

2 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Textures.txt renames them all.

Did this easily answered question really need a whole thread of its own? And wouldn't it have been better suited to the editing subforum?

Wolf3D TC is a seperate mod , why should I ask this question in the editing subforum ?!

19 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Wolf3D TC is a seperate mod , why should I ask this question in the editing subforum ?!

Because I assume that if you're interested in stuff like that, naturally it would follow that it's either to rip them or do something with them.

You can see all of the renames in Textures.txt in the Resources .pk3 (or online here). 

The reason it's like this:
At one time, I had a custom version of ZDoom where I had hacked in ECWolf's support for loading the VSWAP files from Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny, with the idea that I could distribute just the core TC files and load graphics/sounds from the original resources.  Obviously, there are no sprite names internally stored in the original .WL6/.SOD files, so things were just named with a prefix and a number, and I used the Textures lump to 'translate' for the engine.  When I gave up on the idea of adding the archive support to ZDoom, it was easier to keep all of the existing work and just tweak the resource extractor tool to name everything programmatically to match the existing expected naming scheme.

(Alternate place to ask questions about this: the mod's ZDoom forum thread.)