Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

How Do You Stay Focused on a Single Project?

I really like mapping for Doom. I know it's not a ground breaking statement, but more often than not I find myself ditching things that I'm working on for no particular reason. Here's an example, currently I'm making two Doom maps for funsies, however, at the moment I want to start a third. That's ridiculous. Since I have trouble with this sort of thing I was wondering how you guys stay focused on a project, whether it be a PWAD or MegaWAD (I couldn't imagine the dedication it would take to make one of those).

In the past I would find myself in a similar situation, with multiple maps going on at once; now I find myself concentrating on only one map at a time as it is the best way to get results.  I focus on the progress I'm making to completion, it's the only way I get anything done.

Barely.

If the Mapper's Block was a toothpick, I'd be a friggin hedgehog right now.

I don't.  Instead I have a pile of unfinished maps on my drive that will probably never see the light of day.  I'm apparently good at making the first 50% of a map, but then as I progress from there, I start getting picky about mapping decisions in the final stretch of the mapping process, and I slow to a molasses paced crawl.

I set myself a rule that I'm simply not allowed to work on more than one thing at the same time, no matter the circumstances.

I have a trick for this: I don't remain focused at all.

One thing I tend to employ instead is to grind hard at one project until I'm bored, and then without giving myself a hard time about it start a new one. Trick is not to keep the chain going, but to realise how frustrated I am part way through new project that I'm not closer to completion than I am; and then realise if I switch to the first project I am indeed closer to completion. Sometimes gives me the drive to complete first project.

What next? Start project number three, get frustrated with how far I'm not then realise project two is closer to completion than this one.

Your mileage may vary. Hell, it doesn't even always work for me.

I've had 4 or 5 maps in early production at almost all times since I started my project. I usually come up with a few cool ideas/rooms or the core concept of the map and build out a basic prototype, but afterward I struggle to come up with a cohesive idea on how to build the rest of the map out. This usually results in me jumping between a few maps, adding little things to each one sometimes, but nothing ever truly comes together in any of them. This problem is especially bad after I've just completed a map and I'm completely drained of ideas. Usually I have to take at least a week off, sometimes a lot more, just to decompress and get my mind off of mapping for a bit so that I can come back at it with fresh ideas and perspective. Sometimes it takes me a while to find the inspiration I need to really work on a map and actually finish it and I think that's okay. I definitely don't want to try and force it and make something I'm not happy with.

Do it til its done.

I have 3 maps going on for the same project. I switch in between maps and see what to do and mess around with the whole project. I get experimental with gimmicks in my map and use different actions in map effects or Dummy sectors to create the best effect.  I also like to go with a certain style. In the end however, I know they may not be my best maps, but it really doesnt matter if your level of detail is that of Knee deep in zdoom or the textural theme of many other megawads, It really all comes down to gameplay. Maybe it may not be as good as plutonia, but excerting your own style and seeing what it results in is what people would rather play. That what keeps me motivated

I find it's helpful to have two maps going at the same time, because if you get stuck on one, you can hop over to the other one instead of sitting there and figuratively beating your head against a wall. It may free up your mind enough that you start getting ideas for the areas you were stuck on in the first map. I think it's not a good idea to take this too far and keep starting a new map every time you get stuck, because then you end up with a pile of incomplete maps and limited motivation -- although if all of the maps you're working on are part of the same project, then it probably isn't a big deal, because no matter which one you work on, you're bringing the project closer to completion. Still, I probably wouldn't let myself work on more than three maps at a time.

If the map im creating looks like it will work then i continue it other than that i never have done 2 maps in the same time im mostly doing 1 map at the time

right now i have 2 maps since The project that i was doing was just too big and i needed a break so i started creating another project.

There's no reason to punish yourself for not finishing everything you start. Keep trying things until you find something that's so close to your ideal vision that you cant help but not finish it.

I've been working on the same map for over a month at various speeds. Sometimes I work fast, sometimes I lack inspiration and drag along. Multiple times I've wanted to ditch this map and move on to my newer, better ideas, but in the end I keep working on this map simply because I don't want the last 100 hours or whatever it is to go to waste.

i must finish because I've seen too many who cannot... must avenge them spiritually...

I'm wrapped up in 2 big fun projects so only focusing on those is the best way that they will get done. I can diverge and do a bunch of wads at once later

A minor distraction in the form of 'quick community maps' is what keeps me motivated with my bigger projects and prevents me from being burned out on a single theme.

This year I've contributed to Texture Extravaganza, Confinement 256, DWMP, A boy and his barrel, and probably more... :)

Also, the post your Doom picture thread is single handedly the most motivating thing ever. Drop a pic, if you get a like or comment from some people it lets you know you're doing something right and should probably carry on! :P

Edited by Dragonfly

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

I set myself a rule that I'm simply not allowed to work on more than one thing at the same time, no matter the circumstances.

I should try this.

I learned the importance of limiting the number of commitments far too late and have spent the last four years trying to peg it back to a nice round number. A lot of my level design comrades fell into the same hole at the same time. Don't let your passion and ideas blind you to the reality of a heavy workload.

To stay focused on a single project I tend to engage as much as possible in conversation with others who are working on it via IRC or Discord. Failing that... it's time to kill your darlings.

By being goal oriented. I don't just make maps willy nilly. I have a specific goal with each map that I wish to see fulfilled.

I don't force it, i just jump around and work on whatever (and whenever) i have the inspiration to do so. Without inspiration artistic endeavours are inherently mediocre. That said, sometimes you can stimulate yourself by throwing ideas at whatever map and seeing if something sticks - but it usually results in a lot of work being deleted or abandoned until a later date. That's fine in itself but not 'efficient' in terms of creating maps (like that really matters in the long run - quality over quantity right?).

The alternative is when you know exactly what you want to do but it is a time consuming process to achieve that. In these situations i just get some good music on the go and dive in and get it done!

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

get some good music on the go and dive in and get it done!

I feel the need to emphasise the importance of this. Music = Motivation!

25 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I feel the need to emphasise the importance of this. Music = Motivation!

I usually listen to music or a podcast while I map, doing it in silence seems impossible to me.

Ah, the eternal dilemma of being able to stay focused in one's work. This plagues me daily when it comes to a lot of things, not just Doom mapping.

Here are some of the techniques I've learned from all the years I've spent trying to figure this out:

Starting is the hardest part, whether that means starting something for the first time, or coming back to something after a period of inactivity where you're out of a creative groove. The best advice I can give you is to "just do it". Sit down and start working, regardless of whatever motivational crash or mapper's block you're getting through. Very often, ideas will start coming to you WHILE you are working, not BEFORE. The worst that can happen is that no ideas come to you, making the process as frustrating and painful as you had initially feared. This will happen from time to time, unfortunately, but as long as you can do some work and act on a couple of ideas and have made something at the end, you can call it a hard-earned victory.

Secondly, to keep a project going, if you're extremely lucky and have the ability to stay motivated then you'll be happy as you keep making progress and build momentum. Taking breaks is important or else you'll burn out. This is a problem for people who map too much to the point of exhaustion, rather than someone like myself who can't stay motivated or build momentum for toffee.

In this case, you have to just stick with the project and make do without that motivation. It sounds awful and difficult and it doesn't really get any easier with time, but you just have to accept that the satisfaction will come while you're working on the project, and at the end of the project, not before.

Thirdly, how do you know the project is done so you can stop working on it? I have developed a tactic called "Fuck It That'll Do" where I stop working on something if I think it's good enough for other people to play. You are often your own harshest critic, and people usually won't spot all the little flaws and mistakes that you can. Better if you don't spend any time worrying about the little details that don't matter as long as you think your project is at least 80% "complete", whatever the hell "complete" means to you. Don't overcook your projects, you'll burn out, you'll become sick of your own map, and all the little details you fussed over might not even be noticed. The sooner you let your project go, the sooner you can start on another project where you can try out some all-new ideas and start afresh.

That's what I've learned anyway. Even I have trouble following these guidelines, so it's okay if it's a lot to take in. Unfortunately I can't offer any magical trick to stay focused on a project except for the painfully obvious cliche of "just do it", but that really is what gets results. As I have mentioned above, remember to take frequent breaks and give yourself breathing room from the project so that you can look at it with a fresh perspective. Having a hobby is a good way to clear your head and try something different.

Unfortunately we can't be the unstoppable dynamos of limitless creativity that we dream of being. We can get close, perhaps, but only with a lot of hard work over a long time.

I know no one asked for this, but heres my preview of my project (This is part of Map03)

New Sky textures and a unique take on a certain theme really help me stay focused and it quenches my thirst for something nice and visually appealing

(Credits to Mechadon for his Box o' Skies btw!! :D )

Screenshot_Doom_20170624_095501.png

My focus is allready out the window, got so many projects piling up by now, I wouldn't even know where to start. There where times I focused on one map alone and stuck by it until it was done. Seems my mind goes faster than my hands can create, lucky I don't get payed to make these maps, they would have sacked me long ago for not finishing anything :p