Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UglyStru

Making friends is one of the hardest tasks I've ever felt required to do

1 hour ago, jdagenet said:

Man must suck to be you guys rofl i have like 50 friends what are their names again...

Yeah and how well do you actually know FIFTY people? Like REALLY know? Don't tell me you're like one of those people on facebook with 200 'friends'.

1 hour ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Thing is, I wouldn't mind if it was a paper book or a .pdf, but there is something about audiobooks that repulses me. Especially if they are that long. I would rather read than listen, because I can determine my own pace and take breaks. Audio books are such a drag for me.

Also what is with all the hostility? Did you write that book?

How about you listen to an audio book while you play Doom? omgz

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Yeah and how well do you actually know FIFTY people? Like REALLY know? Don't tell me you're like one of those people on facebook with 200 'friends'.

i think their post was a joke.

4 hours ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

However, I am glad that I signed up here.

Because you have the guts to finish CChest Map29 in 68 minutes, no one cares about a slow ass like me to finish in 112 minutes ;P Just kidding, I'm one of your fan ;)

@struYeah, I have to say, you must do some efforts to get friends since you have to represent yourself. That's why you have a reasonable size of subscribers on YT. It's one thing that you can know about what you attract people. I totally understand your pain because I came to America 3 years ago, and this basically means a reset to me. Well, don't be too harsh to yourself, I guess. A small sample of people can't determine what usually people do/are. Talking about DW, I think because Doom community is a minority (at least relatively), people are usually nicer, but society is a different think, so you may need to dig harder.

Come and play some Pokemon GO. I actually talked to people today which is funny because the game has no depths, and for some reason, I'm still playing it ;P

i just want to say that if anyone ever has any problems they need someone to talk to about, or maybe you just want to talk to somebody in general, i'm here for you. i know that even when people say that it can still be hard to talk to them, and you think they might not care about you anyways. trust me, i know exactly how that feels, so please don't be shy to say hello or something. i'd love to get to know you better C: !

i mean as long as you're a decent person, don't bother if you're some kinda alt-right weirdo lol

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Battle_Kirby said:

The title doesn't promise. How the fuck is anyone going to bother through that?

90 seconds refers to the max amount of time you will need with any type of person, such as a friend, a colleague, a boss, an authority figure, or even someone who might disagree with everything you stand for to win their willing cooperation and like you; not the amount of time it takes to learn everything the book has to teach. 3 hours is pretty short considering some audiobooks can be as much as 12 hours.

Audiobooks is another topic, but they're very useful. It makes sense to listen to them while doing another activity such as driving, working, exercising, or even while playing Doom (at a very low volume of course)

They can be intimidating at times because most people don't write books the same way we're used to listening to people speak. The sentences are long and use difficult vocabulary most of the time. You have to expect not to fully absorb all the information the first time. I often listen to audiobooks 2-4 times to fully absorb the information. Sure, that makes for even more hours, and its certainly ok to take breaks in between, but I do a lot of boring, menial, time consuming stuff in my adult life that doesn't allow me much time to sit down and read.

I'm sure you can find a print copy of the book on Amazon anyway if you're comfortable with people seeing this thing on your book shelf.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:53 AM, moonboot said:

i mean as long as you're a decent person, don't bother if you're some kinda alt-right weirdo lol

Even those alt-right Kekistanis have more friends than me :( they just relate to people who worship a cartoon frog and refer to anybody with a job as a normie

@stru, I feel ya bro. I'm in the awkward situation where I am a Christian, so I don't drink or swear or "sleep around," but just about everyone I knew in college did that stuff. Probably most people here do too. I am perfectly okay associating with such people on an academic level or on Doomworld -- just don't invite me to the bar, 'cuz I won't go.

On the other hand, I have my uber-conservative Christian family who think the Bible isn't strict enough, so they make up some rules of their own for me to follow as well. I don't want to do the things my family does for fun (like farm work or watching re-runs of 1950's sitcoms), but I don't want to do the things everybody else in the world does for fun either. All I want is one or two Christian friends (or even just a wife!) who live a "clean" life, but won't condemn me for playing Doom or listening to Elton John. Is there anyone in the world like that, or am I the only one?

P.S. No offense intended to anyone here.

i wouldn't worry about that too much! i mean, most people in the United States are Christian, you're bound to run into a few who share the same values and interests as you. i've known a lot of people who were Christian and didn't drink, but still enjoyed violent video games and other stuff like that. it may seem hard to find those people now but they're definitely out there! it may be harder if you don't live in the US, i'm just assuming you do, but even if you don't it's still very possible to find people you can fit in with.

9 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

@stru, I feel ya bro. I'm in the awkward situation where I am a Christian, so I don't drink or swear or "sleep around," but just about everyone I knew in college did that stuff. Probably most people here do too. I am perfectly okay associating with such people on an academic level or on Doomworld -- just don't invite me to the bar, 'cuz I won't go.

On the other hand, I have my uber-conservative Christian family who think the Bible isn't strict enough, so they make up some rules of their own for me to follow as well. I don't want to do the things my family does for fun (like farm work or watching re-runs of 1950's sitcoms), but I don't want to do the things everybody else in the world does for fun either. All I want is one or two Christian friends (or even just a wife!) who live a "clean" life, but won't condemn me for playing Doom or listening to Elton John. Is there anyone in the world like that, or am I the only one?

P.S. No offense intended to anyone here.

I believe in God and Jesus but this is why I hate the label "Christian" because I think labels can make people get stuck on a certain mindset. Just because there's a creator, people have to go and confuse that with man-made dogma and then try to introduce their own commandments. People who I call good friends have been Satanists, Atheists, Nihilists, Wiccans, etc etc but again, those are just labels. At the end of the day we're all human and we're all probably guilty of (most of) the same things. There's plenty of people who are capable of abstaining from whatever they choose to abstain from, and some of the best examples of these people aren't even called "Christian". Check out AA/NA meetings and you'll find plenty of people who will find ways to enjoy life without having to get drunk or high. And just because I smoke weed and listen to metal, doesn't automatically mean I'm going to Hell either. 

On 6/25/2017 at 5:53 AM, moonboot said:

Alt-left aren't much better either. Or really anyone that's extreme in their beliefs, that's how divides get created.

10 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

All I want is one or two Christian friends (or even just a wife!) who live a "clean" life, but won't condemn me for playing Doom or listening to Elton John.

How about you judge the validity of a person as a friend not based on what they believe in, but rather on what they do or not?

Making friends huh? Have you ever considered painting a face on a volleyball?

14 hours ago, Neurosis said:

I believe in God and Jesus but this is why I hate the label "Christian" because I think labels can make people get stuck on a certain mindset. Just because there's a creator, people have to go and confuse that with man-made dogma and then try to introduce their own commandments.

This is something that I'm finding to be more and more true as time goes by. Personally, I don't like the label either. Too many people use it to cover their hypocrisy or to try to impress people or to get people to trust them... It means nothing anymore, at least here in the U.S. The only reason I call myself that is because it's shorter than saying, "I believe that Jesus was the son of God and died to save us from Hell." Which is also really short.

13 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

How about you judge the validity of a person as a friend not based on what they believe in, but rather on what they do or not?

This is also something that I'm finding to be true. It's kinda sad to read the Bible and see that its primary themes are love, respect, liberty... and yet so-called Christians are some of the most unpleasant and difficult people. How can anyone read this book, and then come to the conclusion that they are responsible for deciding someone else's career, hobbies, diet, education, et cetera ad infinitum. I get more support from agnostics, Jews, and -- uh, Voodoo-ists? (Help me out, what's the noun that goes there?)

Thanks for the comments, guys! I didn't mean to hijack stru's thread -- just venting a little. I'm better now. :-)

3 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

This is also something that I'm finding to be true. It's kinda sad to read the Bible and see that its primary themes are love, respect, liberty... and yet so-called Christians are some of the most unpleasant and difficult people. How can anyone read this book, and then come to the conclusion that they are responsible for deciding someone else's career, hobbies, diet, education, et cetera ad infinitum. I get more support from agnostics, Jews, and -- uh, Voodoo-ists? (Help me out, what's the noun that goes there?)

Has anyone else noticed that often these kind of people, when refering to Bible, specifically refer to the Old Testament. Like, they behave like the New Testament is Half Life 3. Old Testament is most likely a set of guidelines on how should the God's "favored people" behave in order to stand out, in order to remain solid, so that they won't dissociate and become like the rest of the folks during the time (read, pagans and atheists. And some politheists). The "favored people" of his had expanded, and rooted in history already. Bravo.

New Testament is basically our Lord, now that he has a basis for his Church rooted in the world, has it spreading the Word, of love and unity, because when we can all forgive each other and unite, we can beat down anything that might dare to test or challenge us. He sends in his own "avatar", his son, Jesus. From this point on, any new follower of the Word is a Christian, sans for Jews.

New Testament has us loving our neighbors as we would love ourselves. Have us hate the sin but forgive the sinner. Have us see and realize that we are not alone when we are faced against troubles of the whole world.

Meanwhile there are people who look at this and go " Yess... YEEEEEESSS!!!", and use it to impose their own rules under the excuse that they are "God's Chosen", these people were your kings, leaders, emperors. Somehow, in our new modern era, this mentality has infected a lot who cannot be considered nor kings nor emperors. They believe that they will redefine the whole world by following the Old Testament. Thing is, the world does not need the Old Testament yet. It would be needed when a world wide global mega crisis occurs. In this time of spiritual crisis, New Testament is exactly what we need.

No, there is no global mega crisis happening right now.

Ya I ranted up, what I had meant to say that people who dare call themselves christians yet haven't even seen the New Testament, thinking it would appear in cinemas next year, should not be taken seriously and word-for-word. Which is a problem since a lot of people do exactly that.

11 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

No, there is no global mega crisis happening right now.

Not to derail this too much, but I get the feeling you're not to keen on watching news, or reading newspapers for that matter.

In spite of there not being what is officially dubbed WW III, dozens of countries are at war, hundreds of thousands of refugees are in need of immediate help, while others are still trying to get to safety.

Even more people die, because they can't afford food, not even bread or rice. Not to mention those who die for lack of medication, and the many others who could have been helped.

The most powerful country in the world has an outspoken moron for president.

We ruin the atmosphere of our planet by way of cars and especially by breeding several million animals per year to slaughter them. Yes, the overall meat consumption has turned into an environmental problem wether you like it or not, and if you think this is not the case you're slightly misinformed.

Meanwhile in Asia, kids knit carpets until they're 12 years old, which is when they can't do that job anymore, because fingers. Then at the age of 14, they're allowed glue shoes for slave wages, and inbetween 12 and 14 there's an income gap that is compensated for by way of prostitution.

All that and then some is happening while you think there is no crisis going on. Excuse me, but what world are you living in, and how does the rest of us get there?

33 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

All that and then some is happening while you think there is no crisis going on. Excuse me, but what world are you living in, and how does the rest of us get there?

South Eastern Europe. You can get here during summer, tourist season is about to begin.

Either way, I got this general feeling that everyone is being way to much bothered about what is going on. This whole race for information, to see who is going to fuck up the most, is taxing people's time and health as well. Yeah, people are arguing about stuff. People are called out on ignorancy and stupidity. But who is actually doing anything about it these days (except businessmen, celebrities and whoever you see doing politics on TV)?

All that you had said is true, but is anyone you know actually doing something about it? No, arguing on the internet does not help. Yeah, it might be fine and dandy to have a good diagnosis of stuff, but not doing anything about it is like going to a doctor who says you've got a pretty much a curable form of cancer, then having the doctor sending you home without any medication or therapy.

All this non-doing is what makes people sad. Depressed even. This constant info rush and feeding makes people feel trapped, makes them feel unworthy of anything, like whatever they do won't matter.

And what is better? Being "ignorant" and actually doing something useful for the local enviroment, or being "informed" properly and moping around? I do not know a lot of people from the second category, but any popular comment section of any article will have them.

So, what I do? I drop from the whole info race. I enjoy living my humble life, and I mind my own buisness at hand. There is a lot of work to do, and it is better to start somewhere, and progress as you go, as you level up.

Take my village community. Not everyone is a scientist, nor everyone is super-filthy rich or associated with any global name. All hard-working people, with their own families, and a pocket-ful of local history. A new thermo-electric plant was supposed to be built near a lake (that already has a dam providing power from running water). One may think, us poor villagers who don't know shit, would gladly accept it and let it stroll by, except we didn't.

People did research, consulted with experts and professionals in real life and internet, did some math, and finally came up with a conclusion that the plant would do more harm than use since it wouldn't provide enough energy that would cost at least a thousand of people moving away, the local flora and fauna choking in exhaust, and general temperature rising (also a cause for forest fires, which are BAAAD). So what we did, made a petition, heckuva lot of people signed it, and the petition was passed succesfully, therefore the plant was never built. And as such, everyone has their homes, the legacies are secured. No one's backyard is getting invaded by another, and pretty much everyone is happy now.

This is just a example, of what can a pocketful of non-scientists do, so imagine what could happen if more than half of the world united. If you could toss away the new kings and emperors of old, and put heroes in their place, more than a half of the things you mentioned would become history.

Sadly, no one has time for that bullshit! We have to digest a lot of articles on the internet, and fight over in the comment sections! That is more important than, god forbid, doing something. No wonder old people complain so much.

Yeah yeah, people are slaving away, yadda yadda yadda, look, people also made armies in the past. People also made revolutions in the past as well. Shit either got worse or better. Just look  at hooligans, at vandals. They are doing something. Doing something bad, yeah, but if a pocketful of wankers can cause a massive headache to the local force, then one can imagine a pocketful of good-willed people can cure such headaches. Scale that number up by billion, and the world could be fixed.

Aaaaaaaand I ranted it up again. Yay.

14 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

All that you had said is true, but is anyone you know actually doing something about it?

Well, I am doing something about it, because, you know, I point these things out to begin with, and also I keep my consum habits in check to make sure I don't support companies that are the actual cause for these issues. I also inform myself on politics to make sure I don't end up supporting a party that will cause even more harm as far as that is actually possible.

So, yeah... I do stuff. And if you're trying to convice me that "just minding my own business" is gonna change anything, you're gonna be out of luck. You're not only responsible for what you do, you're also responsible for what you don't do, and that is where to concept of blissful ignorance will always cease to function.

10 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You're not only responsible for what you do, you're also responsible for what you don't do, and that is where to concept of blissful ignorance will always cease to function.

Aaaand this is where religion starts working. Not to many people know, although its right there, that a sin can be made by thought, word, act, and ignorance. So, more often that not, people care about what happens around, because morals, upbringing, and lack of need to act greatly upon the call of urges. This includes me as well.

However, being concerned globally 24/7 when you have more pressing urges is just downright ridiculous. Our Lord made it so. Folks and politics made it so. Social media had un-made it so. Jews have this special rule that they can ditch their faith in case of a imminent life threat, not so sure about Christians, should check it later. Either way, the social media and all the info rush had made today's population feel so endangered by something happening not to them, far far away, that they are most likely to give up, ditch their faith in anything, and assume a faceless identity, since "someone is going to fuck me up, why bother?". I am not saying being informed is not bad, but much like how it usually goes, excessive consumption of anything is bad. This is a problem to many a teens in USA, from what I can gather. Regular grown-ups as well. Just giving up hope on progress and mocking anyone who thinks otherwise. That... is bad.

Yeah, minding your own buisness is not not bad as people think. Because either way you are working to securing your own foothold, building your own house, raising your own family, planting your own tree, living your own life after death. If the local opportunities suck, check again. If they still suck, either move on or start your own shit. If that fails, do the other thing, rinse and repeat. Caring too much about what you cannot affect immediately is a waste of precious time.

What I am asking people is to, just sometimes, think locally and do locally. When you want to set out and help the world, start off small. Don't make any big sacrifices until you are sure you know what are you doing. Plan accordingly, observe what is happening between A and B, not A and Z. Think of yourself in a while. Support the local infrastructure. The world always needs heroes, but getting economic superpowers over night... I wouldn't count on that.

Unless you people had already done that, in which case... You know what you've gotta do.

How could I missed this thread? :(

I've moved in my place somewhere in one of the eastern states in Malaysia to take care of my stroke dad and working as a (kinda) underpaid security guard for 4 years now. I work 6 days a week (and a 25 hours shift on saturdays) so I don't really have a time to make friend. 

not like I'm complaining and shit, but I also kinda have a hard time to make a friend because reasons haha.

I have to say, every time one of these threads pops up, it stings a little, especially because how much I can relate to them.

On the bright side though, at least I'm not alone.

I am not as good as making friends as I thought I was. In fact, I might be better at driving people away.

A few examples:

I've drifted away from save maybe 2-3 people I've befriended in high school. Despite that, we're not as close as we used to be.

I've only made about 3-4 real friends during my time in college. I haven't spoken to any of them in a while, except in casual Facebook shitposting (only reachable for 1-2 people). The rest of the people I've bothered reaching out to are nothing more than acquaintances, and as such, we haven't even spoken at all.

I dated this girl who is on the autism spectrum like I am, but it only lasted for a little over a month. We tried again a year later, but one week and no dice. Fortunately, we're still friends, and it helps that she's one of the sweetest girls I've ever known.

I've had one close friend that I made in college. But due to extreme stress and unfortunate circumstances which led to me having suicidal thoughts, we had a falling out, and to this day, I'm convinced that she genuinely hates me. I couldn't convince her that I'm not the Antichrist in the weeks after the fallout. For the first time, I had to seek professional help to move past this situation, and I still miss this friend.

Since the fallout, I've had a string of failed friendship attempts, with one girl in particular telling me that I should commit suicide (probably because of her potentially abusive boyfriend). That one was especially painful, because that girl has connections in the cosplay community where I live, and most of her friends actually sided with her/her boyfriend in that particular shitstorm. For a while, it led me to believe that the cosplay community was more toxic than I had anticipated, and that I should force myself to adopt Machiavellian tendencies in order to survive here.
Another girl I was friends with suddenly unfriended me without warning, most likely because of her new relationship. Hell, I actually introduced her to my ex, and I was sure they would be good friends. That one also stung because we actually became rather close, knowing the darker secrets of each other.

I have made a couple of more friends afterwards, though. 
A notable example was the boyfriend of this girl that I was somewhat interested in. He turned out to be a really cool guy, and helped me through my tougher times. He even remarked that I was a rather interesting individual, something that NOBODY has ever told me before until then. Even when they broke up, I still managed to be good friends with him, sharing some of the weirder stuff I've thought about.

Another major example is this Canadian cosplayer who made my helmet and the pending SSG prop for my Doomguy cosplay. Not only does he have connections with what could be considered the "big leagues" of cosplay, but he also helped me a lot through my darker times. In fact, when I made an off-kilter remark about "wrapping my lips around a Glock," he actually begged me to talk to my therapist ASAP. He's also been extremely helpful with suggestions on my cosplay, on how I should customize it and what I can do in the event something went awry. I know that I still haven't received that SSG prop, but I can acknowledge the fact that we're all human, and at least he delivered on the helmet, so I can count on that much. In short, he became the reason that the cosplay community as a whole isn't as toxic as I thought it would be.

The last example is the friend whom I've been trying to help with her project to get an online web-development tutorial (I posted about it in a status update a while ago; in case you're wondering, she's doing a little better financially). She was actually friends with the girl who told me to commit suicide, and to my knowledge, is the only mutual friend with her who completely understood my situation. Both of the previous examples knew about that particular incident, but this friend was actually friends with that girl.

So yeah, I'm better at driving people away than I am at making friends, but if there are friends who are immune to that tendency, I should be counting my lucky stars that I even have friends like that.

@Nine Inch Heels I agree, and you're barely just scratching the surface too. The world is resilient and ancient, sure, but it's been horribly polluted. CO2 levels on the rise (making people stupider and angrier as we're basically breathing in our own toxic waste), a mass extinction event around the corner (2/3's of most animals by 2020), etc etc. And now Stephen Hawking says it's time to abandon ship, because it's a sinking ship of fools and we're too busy arguing with each other over what Donal Trump said on Twitter. So there's a lot of evidence that humans have basically doomed themselves and now we can't reverse it. We're just gonna keep going along with capitalism like nothing's happening, and for what, money? Some green piece of paper is why soulless corporations wanna destroy anything and everything, all in the name of profit. At this point, there's nothing you CAN do about it. I would rather be aware of all of this so that I'm prepared for when it hits the fan.

but yes @Battle_Kirby is also right, there is a living God that is bigger than all of that. I agree that we should start small and just focus on doing what we do best as individuals, because not everyone is called to change the world on a global scale. But I would still rather know the truth, and continue to inform people. And it sucks because sometimes I feel like that guy, like I'm some sort of Prophet of Doom™ for talking about the facts. But it's not like I go up to people at parties who are sipping from red solo cups and tell them that we're all gonna die. I reserve this kind of talk for when the conversation comes up naturally. At the same time, I feel like there should be some immediate sense of urgency when it comes to something like this. You would think that the world falling apart would make everyone want to start working together. On "smaller" scales, when disaster strikes, people usually do work together to help each other. But when the scale is so large, it's just so hard to comprehend this abstract impending danger when it's not tangible to us. It doesn't SEEM to affect our daily lives so we go on with our lives And that's great because what else can you do but just continue living your life? Nobody should live in fear about anything.

@Neurosis Spreading info by itself might not be that bad (it still is dangerous, by a margin) but bullying someone into learning about it is what sucks. Dip into any comment section of a article, and you will notice at least one person berating another and calling them names and everything just because they don't have the same info as them but want to share their opinion. Not enough that there is always someone torturing someone for not knowing, but then, when asked "what can be done about it?", all they could say is " Nothing. We are fucked (because of people like you)". These are some serious blows dealt over nothing, probably entire viewpoints on life shattered, and thus are a very good and solid reason to ditch social medium. Actions like these would bring info at a price of a huge chunk of morale and optimism the person might have gathered before-hand. Bullying people into thinking they are doomed is a sin basically, a quite big one (can't remember how is it named), and it is branded as a sin for this reason, basically rending someone's spirit over nothing that important.

And humanity went through worse shit than this. We'll make it. Not everyone, but mankind will presevere, and prevail. We are smart enough, we might just start freezing ourselves and send ourselved flying into space, potentially on course to a Terra-like planet. I mean, some of the worst diseases which had been thought that they would kill us all off have been eliminated. The Roman Empire fell, making many people think the world was over, yet civilization as they knew it managed to resurrect. The Church itself testifies how resilient and adaptible people can be (refer fo Dark Ages for this one), once they are together and they share a goal. We might wreck Earth, but we will walk along just fine. Because for every potential action we had designed and predicted a reaction, and made protection if that reaction was negative. We are all smart, each possess a trait that would help in its own direction, it is just that many are hopeless. Which is why the New Testament applies nowadays.

I point these things out too when I can, but I can only realistically do so much about things that are outside of my control, when I have a life to live and loved ones to tend to. You know, like everybody else realistically tends to do, because face it unless it's on our doorstep we're going to have to turn the other cheek. It's not that we don't care, we're just not equipped to deal with that sorta thing. It's not our time, be it in the present, or in this lifetime to make a difference.

Basically what I'm saying is we can't all be martyrs, even though at one point in my life I thought I was going to be one. But I'm sure a lot of us thought we had more influence over the situation than we actually did.

In my experience (YMMV), people generally suck. It's why I work 3rd shift and why I only have 2 friends (and a 3rd that lives 900 miles away). But it's ok, no biggie, imo. Kind of "it is what it isand me not giving a fuck. If you're unique enough and/or whatever, then people will dig you. If not, don't worry about it. They weren't/aren't worth your time. I dunno what to say, really. 

Speaking of FRIENDSHIP does this site or forum have a Discord server because if so I haven't come across it and would like to join

Main mistake is that you arent comfy with yourself. You must enjoy being only with yourself and entertain yourself. Nobody will come. You cannot force friendship. I was sad from that before, but then I realized I dont need friends and its way cooler just to do what you like, dont beg anybody for friendship, dont bend yourself to fit somewhere, and be proud of your accomplishments (whatever it means for you). As you will develop this way of thinking, you will grow independent and realize that its fun to reject invitations for parties, shamelessly say nasty honest things to people, be cocky, and so :D just do it like that and it will be fun.

Having no friends when you have no job or education because of severe medical problems is pretty isolating, lonely and bad for my mental health about 100% of the time. But there's hope for the future I guess.