Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cacomonkey

Wads that bring you to your knees

I'm an average player, maybe slightly above, so I've had the misfortune of abandoning several wads I was enjoying recently because I bit off more than I could chew by  selecting UV when I should have selected HMP.  Sometimes I feel there should be a special "Daddy, Can I play?" entry just for me.  I recently abandoned Eternal's excellent Icar2015 because the next to the last map brought me knee-deep in z-doom gloom and despair.  How the hell are you suppose to beat 10 Barons of Hell, 10 Hell knights, 5 mancubi, 4 cacodemons, and an archie in a pear tree not only blasting you with Hell fire (giving you only a tiny pillar to hide behind) but resurrecting all the baddies you just killed... in a small arena with no doors, no windows, no exits?  How do you deal with the shame of being so close to the end, yet so far from victory, aside from just stopping playing Doom wads for about five years?  Now I know why they call it "Doom."

This is my confession, father doomers:  I... I... I typed in "Buddha" at the console and now I feel so sick and dirty :(

What are some of you most memorable and most tragic defeats?

1 hour ago, cacomonkey said:

ow the hell are you suppose to beat 10 Barons of Hell, 10 Hell knights, 5 mancubi, 4 cacodemons, and an archie in a pear tree not only blasting you with Hell fire (giving you only a tiny pillar to hide behind) but resurrecting all the baddies you just killed... in a small arena with no doors, no windows, no exits?  How do you deal with the shame of being so close to the end, yet so far from victory, aside from just stopping playing Doom wads for about five years?  Now I know why they call it "Doom."

Tried it. The safest approach with the non-secret balance is to switch to the RL the instant you pick up the BFG, and fire 3-4 rockets as the floor is lowering, which will push aside the cacos in front of the vile. Momentarily dodge the vile attack, and then you'll have a clear path to quickly get the vile with a single BFG shot. I like this, because the encounter staging 'tells you' to use the BFG you're being handed on the central plinth, but the correct (i.e. easy and safe) approach turns out to subvert it.

Not sure I have an answer to the title question recently. After I make a few more maps of my own, I wanted to get into maxing some of the hardest maps, so I certainly will then.

I've never actually never been defeated by a WAD, mainly because with the pile of garbage I used to call a laptop I'd just end up with single digit framerates in big encounters, forcing me to stop playing anyways.

I've encountered wads that were too difficult for me to finish, but I rarely found myself enjoying them that much so it never felt like a great loss to quit partway through. On the flipside, I've found wads that were super difficult that I loved which killed me many times, but if the design is enjoyable I pretty much had to play through til the end. Stuff like Going Down, Drown in Blood and the CHORD wads fall under this umbrella for me. There are many more, but these 3 popped to mind instantly.

Other humans playing Doom have given me far, far more trouble than any mapset ever has, in terms of difficulty!

@kveller Maybe you should stick with Chocolate Doom/doom2.exe and some vanilla megawads, such as BTSX.

Or git gud with D-Touch. I recommend turning off vertical sensitivity completely.

2 minutes ago, yakfak said:

The Ultimate Doom Metal Replacement Vol. 1 & 2

Why?It is just a music,maybe you dont like rock and metal music.

Well... I could never ever bring myself to even play Dark Tartarus since I can't last for more than a minute. Luckily I don't like the map pack too much so it's not really a loss.

Co-op running BTSX E1M19. Thanks, Tarns.

Most of UAC Enterprises.

Running all of KDIZD onstream (including Z1M10!) in just two sittings, highest difficulty. Do not recommend.

Most anything by Death-Destiny.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Co-op running BTSX E1M19. Thanks, Tarns.

Most of UAC Enterprises.

Running all of KDIZD onstream (including Z1M10!) in just two sittings, highest difficulty. Do not recommend.

Most anything by Death-Destiny.

Can you make a open world map from all Joy series?Will be more fun.

Tnt Evilution. It got to a point where it became impossible to go on due to starting map04 with 9% health. I was playing on HMP. Good god, is this hard (may have been because I use a controler for Doom.)

dead.air

E1M1 on I'm too young to die was impossible

Jokes aside, Plutonia Experiment on UV.

9 hours ago, yakfak said:

The Ultimate Doom Metal Replacement Vol. 1 & 2

This I don't understand.

Everything. I don't have the patience to give map sets a good try before I get bored or die enough to rage quit. I'd rather make maps than play them.

3 hours ago, Glaice said:

This I don't understand.

I think he drops to his knees and plays air guitar when the riffs hit

That... Actually makes sense. I know I do this a lot when a track has a badass guitar riff.

*plays a guitar riff from c3m3*

Edited by Voros

I ultimately beat Plutonia 2 but I'll never be able to get all the way through it again.

I think I need to take a little break from playing Doom wads.  I've officially burned myself out. I attempted Map10 (Skagway) of UAC Ultra tonight.  Er, did I miss something?  Did I take a wrong turn?  Well, at least I got to test whether the new true color software mode of gzdoom could handle hundreds upon hundreds of the entire bestiary of Doom 1 & 2 all on the screen at the same time with reasonable framerates.  It can.

Since I've revisited playing Doom, I've upped the dial to UV with modern wads since my eyes have become bigger than my stomach. 50 Shades of Graytall got a lot of deaths outta me from MAP09 since I'm still a noob to slaughtermap gameplay, though I persevered. MAP11 gave me an ass-kicking of the ages to the point I had to disable the HUD pain indicators so I could see. I wasn't quite used to smelling my own flesh cooking as I tried forcing some leeway down the hallways, efforts that left a lingering taste of futility. By chance I found the invulnerability secret, but if it wasn't for that I'm not sure how else I would've possibly beat that level. 

I say that playing any new map or megawad (especially where are lots of monsters) for the first time, it gives me a really tough time but I'm always determined to beat it no matter what...

Most wads tbh.  My approach is whack at something repeatedly until I get through, and most of the time it takes a lot of whacking.

My most memorable recollection of being brought to my knees was my first few play-throughs of E2M8. I believed it was impossible to beat the frikkin' cyberdemon. My approach to the fight was to fire a burst of rockets at the critter, turn tail and run for cover, and repeat until I was blasted to bits while I cowered in terror.